• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Turner Brothers Toolmakers

Hi there, just found this forum after chatting with my dad about my grandfather John Whale-he was also known as Joe or Jack, he worked at Turner bros for a number of years and then moved down to South Wales when the Rover pressing plant opened in Dafen,Llanelli in the 1960’s.I never got to meet him sadly as he died when my dad Reg was only 18 himself, I’ve noticed his name has popped up several times in this forum and I don’t have any photos of him at all so it would be great if someone had any recollection of him or old pictures. My dad went on to be a toolmaker himself down here ,he’s 70 now and i’m 47 and we now spend most of our time together restoring old vintage British motorcycles- still using most of my grandfathers old tools too which is great! Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.Cheers Matthew Whale
I remember a Geoff Whale, he worked in "D" Dept. and then "G" Dept. when the two departments were combined.

did anyone at turners know my father albert clack electrician there for 38 years all through the war
Hello, I've just joined this site and your father's name rings a bell. My dad was a plant engineer from the 50s to the 70s. His name was Arnold Chempin, his job, plant engineer. I remember the Christmas parties for the the children. I was hoping to post this in a new post but not quite sure how to that so perhaps you can explain how to do it please as I would like to know who remembers my dad.

I remember a Geoff Whale, he worked in "D" Dept. and then "G" Dept. when the two departments were combined.
I remember Geoff well, I knew him when I was as apprentice in "D" Dept and later I my bench was next but one to Geoff's in "G" Dept. He was a really good top class toolmaker.

I remember Geoff well, I knew him when I was as apprentice in "D" Dept and later I my bench was next but one to Geoff's in "G" Dept. He was a really good top class toolmaker.
Hello, I've just joined this site and your father's name rings a bell. My dad was a plant engineer from the 50s to the 70s. His name was Arnold Chempin, his job, plant engineer. I remember the Christmas parties for the the children. I was hoping to post this in a new post but not quite sure how to that so perhaps you can explain how to do it please as I would like to know who remembers my dad.
Yes I knew Albert Clack, he headed up the electricians and they were based in the "Dolphin" works in Hanley Street. All other maintenance departments were in the same building. The head one was as you say was, and this is how I recall him, Arno Chempkin, and he used to live at those times in a mobile home on the A435 where Jct.3 of the M42 is now. The caravan park is still there but is now all park Homes.

Yes I knew Albert Clack, he headed up the electricians and they were based in the "Dolphin" works in Hanley Street. All other maintenance departments were in the same building. The head one was as you say was, and this is how I recall him, Arno Chempkin, and he used to live at those times in a mobile home on the A435 where Jct.3 of the M42 is now. The caravan park is still there but is now all park Homes.
I wonder where you got the idea that Arno Chempin lived in a mobile home. He lived in Moseley. As it happens I live in one of the park homes!

My memory has returned and I don't know how I managed to mix the names up, but on reflection the person who lived in a caravan on the A435 Alcester Road/Dumble Pit lane was Tony Hadaborra, who was the manager of the heavy machine shop "C" Dept. sorry for the confusion.

When I lived in Kings Norton I dropped him off a few times and he told me he lived there ! perhaps it was a holiday home.
My memory has returned and I don't know how I managed to mix the names up, but on reflection the person who lived in a caravan on the A435 Alcester Road/Dumble Pit lane was Tony Hadaborra, who was the manager of the heavy machine shop "C" Dept. sorry for the confusion.

Sorry this is so many years late but not seen aloof the comments. I remember Charlie Moseley, he was a Progress clerk, chasing all of the jobs around the department. I remember once he was walking to work and got conned out of some money by a stranger, this person said he knew Charlie and talked him into gicing him all the right answers to his comments and then asked him to lend him the money. Due to his good nature he did then when at work realised that he had been conned. This was during my apprenticeship in C department. Having read some of the previous posts, when old Toolmakers passed away, their tools were often sold or raffled of to make some extra money for the dependents. I still have some tools from Albert Sharp and one of my priced possessions is my wooden toolbox, which Freddie Barlow, then shop foreman, procured for me from the family of Tommy Evans, who sadly passed away in an accident. That bbox came with me throughout my entire engineering career.
I worked on the bench in front of Albert Sharp on the first floor of "G" Dept, I left Turners in 1969 and joined a one man band making press tools and in the early 1970's we had a few ex Turner Bros. employees come to work with us, Fred Barlow, Les LLoyd, George Levasseur, Alf Marson, Brian Seymour,Charlie Mould and Bill Smith who was one of the co-owners.

Last edited:
Apology accepted, old age and I often get confused!St Mary's Church 17.11.17  (2).JPG You may remember passing St Mary's Church in Wythall. It has been converted to offices.

Apology accepted, old age and I often get confused!View attachment 170520 You may remember passing St Mary's Church in Wythall. It has been converted to offices.
Apology accepted, old age and I often get confused!View attachment 170520 You may remember passing St Mary's Church in Wythall. It has been converted to offices.
I'm having trouble posting a new thread. I saw the option to do it but now can't find it! I wanted to ask about my dad so everyone can see it.

Oh yes, I pass it every Saturday when shopping at Becketts.
I'm sorry to be a pain but I really want to know how to post a new thread so that I can ask everyone connected with Turner Brothers if anyone knew my dad. It's an age thing no doubt but I can't see how to do it. Any help would be welcome please.

Jenny.
Everyone can view your posts on the Turner Bros thread. If you wish to ask about your Dad specifically, then you can go to the surname section
(https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?forums/surname-interests.32/) which shows as below
ScreenHunter 5812.jpg

If you click on the section dealing with your father's surname, which I presume is the Q-T section then you get:

ScreenHunter 5813.jpg

Then click on the orange button at the top right hand corner of the screen, which brings up:

ScreenHunter 5814.jpg
You can then insert a title in the title box and write your message in the space below. Then Press blue "post thread" button

:

Jenny.
Everyone can view your posts on the Turner Bros thread. If you wish to ask about your Dad specifically, then you can go to the surname section
(https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?forums/surname-interests.32/) which shows as below
View attachment 170538

If you click on the section dealing with your father's surname, which I presume is the Q-T section then you get:

View attachment 170539

Then click on the orange button at the top right hand corner of the screen, which brings up:

View attachment 170540
You can then insert a title in the title box and write your message in the space below. Then Press blue "post thread" button

:
Thanks I've done it!

Thankyou for the pictures,how sad! Actually I'm on this ,not for myself I am
doing it for an old exemployee,who served his apprenticeship a long time ago
at Turners.We were remembering old times,when there were good firms to work for,now the well established factories have gone to the wall!
This information was written on a beermat,so if not actually correct,please
forgive,(several pints of carling,)
His name is Norman Jewells,he remembered several names of workmates,
including,a Mr Frank Dutton,Tommy Coles,Dennis Hair,Gordon Ashton,Arthur
Snape,Tommy Pike,by this time there was no more room on the beer mat for anymore

If there is anybody who can remember these names,please get in touch.
I remember all of them but the Dutton, I knew was Jack Dutton and he was the manager of "G" Dept. always had a handkerchief hanging from his breast pocket. Tommy Coles was the Manager of "A" Dept. Dennis Hare was the Chargehand in "B" Dept.

dont know if turner machine tools are connected to turner bros of princip st but if so the building went up flames this morning...

Hi Virusman, Should be some exploring, during the times of Turner Bros the main building was, correct me if my memory is failing, the bottom floor was mainly "A" department, containing Large vertical boring machines, planers, and other larger machinery, also housing the Heat treatment room and also probably most visited, was the Surgery with usually a couple of nurses on duty, (I remember going into there for my medical health check at the age of eighteen, incuding the "cough now" test, overlooked by one of those nurses. anyway back to the building,
The second floor was "B" department, up there was the mould shop, and spark eroder, Les LLoyds apprentice section was there on a mezanine floor, and I think the optical grinders were somewere there too.
The third floor was devoted to the planning office, and other offices of which now I cannot remember.
The Top floor, this was the drawing office, the most important peice of the jigsaw as far as I am concerned,
Serving all 4 floors was a lift which was always manned by an operator, the name of this gentleman during my time there I cannot remember.
There are many nooks and crannies to be explored, and please let us know if you find any evidence of the original Turner Brothers existance.

Goffy
4th floor was the canteen

The Princip Street building two years ago. Very close to a couple of domestic premises. Viv.

F42D5F5E-BD19-40F2-AC63-5542AD2CCEB8.jpeg933371FF-56F1-48CB-93C8-FD8B2924B802.jpeg

Hi been looking into my Grandfathers papers after my mum died to discover a lot of drawings and notes made by my grand father I remember being told stories of his job at Turner brothers but would love more info he was known as Bert when working there his full name was Herbert James I have a photo of him when he retired

Trying to upload but keeps telling me it's too big what is the max for a photo please
If it says it is too big to upload - I copy the photo into a word or powerpoint document, then screenshot it at a slightly smaller size, then paste it into the post. This usually works!

I remember going to Turner Bros to pick up my dad's wages when he broke his foot when a large roll fell on him at work , six weeks later when he returned to work the same thing happened to his other foot. His name was Arthur Frederick Stockhall he was there many years until he retired in 1977 . Unfortunately he wasn't retired for long six months later he died of a burst ulcer. He was a labourer in the end . I think he met my mom there Catherine Gardner. I'm sure I've seen my dad on a front of a book cover about Turner Bros.

Only a memory, no pictures etc. available but in 1960's my wife worked in a team that produced "The Turner Calendar" quite a glossy production. Anyone have any recollection? Sort of like the famous Michelin Calendar but made in Brum.

Back