• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Turks Head Bloomsbury Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks ive been given quite a few nice pic of pubs in brum..only trouble is there are no locations written on the back of them:cry: so i wonder if our pub experts could take a look at these 3 and perhaps tell me the st/rd where they are or more likely were....

cheers..

i love this first one with the workman getting in on the act..maybe a clue with the sign on this one..

the turks head...

Attachments

• Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi Lyn Thats the best Photo of the Turks Head i,ve ever seen its on the corner of Bloomsbury St the bus is the 43 going toward Nechells Green and you can just make out Bloomsbury Library on the Saltley Rd Great stuff thanks for posting.Dek

Hi Lyn Thats the best Photo of the Turks Head i,ve ever seen its on the corner of Bloomsbury St the bus is the 43 going toward Nechells Green and you can just make out Bloomsbury Library on the Saltley Rd Great stuff thanks for posting.Dek

I Agree Dek, Could not have put it any better.

Thanks Lyn some nice photos there which i haven`t seen before , the first one is
the best though of the Turks Head , it has a lot of details to it
the bus , gas lamps , sign post , beacon , and not forgetting the man whos just
dug that hole in the road .
ragga :)

hi ragga..yes i like the turks head pic too...tells a story does that one...

Can anyone help please?e rd

My grandparents ran the Turks Head I believe during the second world war and were called Neville. My grandmother then ran the outdoor in Holt Rd witton.
Does anyone have pics or remember them?
Any information appreciated especially when they actually took over.

thanks

Hi Tony,

Well heres a photo of the Turks Head to be going on with.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Turks Head Bloomsbury St.jpg
    Nechells Turks Head Bloomsbury St.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 55
Tony

In addition to my previous post, I can tell you that in 1949 the landlady was a Mrs Alice Lilian Nevill, and before the war in 1936 it was managed by someone else.

That "someone else" was, from 1935 to 1939, my cousin, (John) George Sheppard, who went on to manage the Stonebridge Hotel at Meriden for a couple of years until killed by a car whilst waiting for a lift from one of his friends to go fishing.

Thanks for that photograph, Phil, as the only other one I had seen was the rather poor quality newspaper clipping at the time when all the surrounding buildings were coming down.

jgs2.jpgjgs2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kellys lists the landlord as George Sheppard in 1940, with Alice Lilian Nevill in 1943-1950 and Bertram John Davis in 1955. As the date is date of publication, rather than collection of data which is probably over 10-11 months, one could say that Alice took over sometime 1940-1942

Stonebridge%20Hotel%20.jpghi maurice how strange that you should mention the stonebridge hotel...ive just received a family pic taken outside it in the early 1900s..this is one that phil posted that you may like to have unless of course you already have it..

lyn...

A couple more images of the Turks Head at different times through the years and of not so good a quality.

Attachments

• Nechells Bloomsbury St The Turks Head.jpg
    Nechells Bloomsbury St The Turks Head.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Nechells Turks Head  Bloomsbury St.jpg
    Nechells Turks Head Bloomsbury St.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
Here's another interesting story connected with the Turks Head. (John) George Sheppard had two daughters and one, Joyce, used to go to Bloomsbury Street [?] School. This entailed crossing the busy Bloomsbury Street and a PC Jasper Fowler used to hold up the traffic for her to cross. He was based at a Police Station in Bloomsbury Street. He was only seven years older than Joyce, but any sort of relationship (if there was one at that point) would have invoked goodness knows what in today's PC (sorry about the pun) age. But they ended up getting married when Joyce was 22 years old. Here's Joyce with her elder sister....

Maurice

Rene and Joyce.jpg

Hi Lyn,

Well around that time they were living at 37 Johnstone Street, Ladywood, but it's not an area that I ever knew well. I've only visited Ladywood in the last few years and by then many of the streets and most of the buildings had gone and been replaced by high rise yuppie flats. In fact that seems to have been one of the fatalities, the only Johnstone Street now seems to be in the Lozells area. The nearest Kellys to that date seems to be 1921 and there is only one shopkeeper at number 59.

Maurice

Ann:

Unfortunately there is no Birmingham directory online between 1921, when the licensee was Albert Jones, and 1932, when the licensee was Samuel Philip Bailie. There may be one for 1924 in Bimingham Central Library. The Electoral Rolls for 1925 do not list a Thomas Fletcher in Bloomsbury Street either.

Maurice

In 1922 and 1925 the only people on the electoral roll were Clara & A;bert Jones , so it is unlikely that he ran the pub in 1924

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: ade
hi maurice unless i have read your post wrong that looks more like a pub on a corner to me not an off licence as you said...here is map showing where the off licence was at no 61

lyn

herbert road showing no 61.jpg

Agreed Viv, but I can only accept what I was given at face value. I hadn't seen the map before. Please delete the post & picture. Thanks.

Maurice :cool:

Back