• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TuneUp Facilities 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina

master brummie
I keep getting the above come up on my laptop stating that over 3000 items need to be cleaned and optimised- is this part of my Norton antivirus? Thanks

It may be but I would check on Norton's website as this has the Hallmarks of a scam. Enter the first paragraph into Google and see what comes up. I don't trust such messages as a genuine Anti Virus would stop this in its track not require you anything.

I share Bernards' concern here. I use to see that years ago but do not know. I have AdBlock and Ghostery installed on both my pc's. Virtually all ads disappear.

It's is most likely a scam, and if you run this so called 'cleaned and optimised' programme, it will suggest you buy some additional software, don't!

Download and run Microsoft security essentials. If this does not work, restart the computer in safe mode, by pressing F8 as you restart it, select safe mode with networking and run Microsoft security essentials again.

These pieces of malware can be quite difficult to shift.

If the poster is already using Norton Anti Virus (as they say they are) they should NOT also download and install Microsoft Security Essentials as you should never run two anti virus programs at the same time.

I agree with others, don't trust any product that says you have "1,000" errors or whatever. This is known as "scareware", software which scares people into buying it as they think their computer is full of errors.

Try using the free version of Malwarebytes as that is good for finding malware.

After downloading and installing Malwarebytes you need to manually run it yourself as the free version only runs "on demand"

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Any ideas how I can turn completely delete this as it seems to be on my hard drive and when I tried to delete it says you cant because the file is open

There appears to be a pop up associated with AVG Tuneup but if you have Nortons Anti Virus I am not sure how you got it. Advice seems to be that it can be removed using the Add/remove Pprogams.

Great news Carol - I will close this now but if anyone wishes to add further information let me or another of the Admin team know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back