• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tudor Terrace

G

Gwyn

My wife's grandmother, Dorothy Mary Perks, was born at 5 Tudor Terrace, Aston in 1892.

I cannot trace such an address.

Can anyone help with its location, and how up or downmarket it may have been?

Thanks

Gwyn

Can you give us a bit more info on Dorothy family...names of parents, older brothers/sisters etc.......

Gwyn......In 1891 the parents of Dorothy were living at number 4 Camp Street....Bordesley.....there was a Tudor Place on Cattell Road, Tudor Terrace could have been in Camp Street. has for the condition up or down market, I wouldn't like to say.....?.

The only Tudor Terrace I can find was in Small Heath B'ham 10 early 60s and a Dorothy Kate Perks born Aston 1895.

hi alf and gwn
i have just read your request on dot kate perks with great intrest
and to realise that some where along the line , she his related to
my mother , as a cousin i think she was moms I.st cousin
dorothy kate perks lived in a big house in septon rd by the tower ballroom
way back in the fourties and fifties and possible in the sixties,
was the last time i heard they was there
but i do know the area is right .aston ,and bordesly was close to mom
when they was young , somthink at the back of my mind is telling me
tudor terrace could have been down sandy lane aston
which was the next road to park street -road which runs down the side of the vine pub in those days before moving to sefton road
the perks family is or was connected to the jelf,s family
i have reason to believe there is a grand daughter named after her grand mother , katie perks, i don,t know whether katie would still be alive today
has she is years older than me ,god willing you never know
because her mother lived to a ripe old age ,just like one or two of the jelfs
there his one jelf in his ninetys , that his old george jelf junior
whom worked at lucas,s for many years and stood for elections in his
days gone bye
still getting back on the subject of dorothy katie perks
i am watching with patience the out come of our reserchers gwyn
whom i know will pinn her down ,but one thing i do know
that dorothy ,katie , perks is a cousinto my dear old mother
joyce ivy jelf ,
have a nice day ,make hay whilst the sun shines best wishes astonian

Aston
Dorothy Kate Perks Chistened St Peters & St Paul Aston 1895

Last edited:
Astonian/Alf......Gwyn is researching a DOROTHY MARY not a DOROTHY KATE....?

John we know can't find a Dorothy Mary:)

As you know John many mistakes occur down the years, in my own case I chased a William Henry Buckley for years till this Forum sorted me out by way of our lovely Grace & Di.

Try this one John

William Buckley 1821 Staffs please

Last edited:
Dorothy Mary was born abt 1893....she is on the 1901 census livng with her parents Benjamin and Sarah....50 Cyril Road....Bordesley,
In 1891 Benjamin and Sarah are living with an Aunt Eliza Powell (45) widow, 4 Camp Street...

John well done I haven't the benefit of the 1901 census yet:)

Last edited:
Dorothy Mary was born abt 1893....she is on the 1901 census livng with her parents Benjamin and Sarah....50 Cyril Road....Bordesley,
In 1891 Benjamin and Sarah are living with an Aunt Eliza Powell (45) widow, 4 Camp Street...

Before we all get totally confused between Dorothy KATE and Dorothy MARY, my wife's grandmother was Dorothy Mary Perks, born 31 December 1892. The family's 1891 and 1901 Census details are as already posted here.

However, her birth certificate gives Tudor Terrace, Aston as place of birth and that's the location I'm trying to identify.

Dorothy Mary married a Bertrand Turner (born 1892 Smethwick). He was part of the Turner family who owned the Brighton Steam Laundry Company of Small Heath (?) Tyseley sort of area.

Anyway, many thanks for all the contributions.

Gwyn

Before 1911 Bordesley along with other areas came under ASTON...! after that date it would be Bordesley Birmingham......!

We are not confused Gwyn the Forum is a big melting pot which we add to and in the end we get the right Blend and its nice to get someone satisfied which ever route we take:)

Gwyn.....I forgot to say that Tudor Terrace is probably a row house's in a street/road....not a name of a street/road, checked out the 1897 Kellys I could not find a Tudor Terrace.....found a Tudor Place on Cattell Road as I already stated...I would say that Tudor Terrace would be in that area Bordesley....due to the fact that your Perks family was living in that area between 1891 and 1901, plus Small Heath is only feet away from Bordesley...

just a slight change of subject

Astonian....Dorothy Kate Perks born June qtr 1896,
Dorothy Kate Perks died Sept qtr 1896

sorry to say probably the same child....!

Gwyn.....I forgot to say that Tudor Terrace is probably a row house's in a street/road....not a name of a street/road, checked out the 1897 Kellys I could not find a Tudor Terrace.....found a Tudor Place on Cattell Road as I already stated...I would say that Tudor Terrace would be in that area Bordesley....due to the fact that your Perks family was living in that area between 1891 and 1901, plus Small Heath is only feet away from Bordesley...

I notice from my A-Z that Camp Street (the Perks home in 1891) is a street off Cattell Road. Cyril Road (their home in 1901) is a little further south on the edge of Bordesley / Small Heath. Have these areas been redeveloped, or would it be worth my while having a walk around the area to see if "Tudor Terrace" still appears on the brickwork of a building?

There are other family connections in Bradford Street, Deritend so my wife's paternal heritage is distinctly Brum!!

Gwyn

Back