• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

TUDOR CAFE HOCKLEY BROOK

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
posting this request for new member jackeen hopefully some members can help

I am looking for photos of the Tudor Café that was near the Palladium picture house, Hockley Brook, also photos of Edith's Café that was on the right hand side going into town, about midway to where the Flyover in now, love to see any photos, inside and outside the cafes.
When I first arrived in Birmingham in 1954, I lived at a friends place in Key Hill Drive, I then got digs in Murdock road, and then on the Holyhead road Handsworth, I hung around the Brook and those areas, regularly used the cafes mentioned, and have many fond memories of those areas, my first job was for Rowlands Electrical Accessories ( The R.E.A.L ) in Devonshire Avenue, Winson Green..

Regards
Matt Redmond Aka Jackeen.

Thank you Lynn. Although I have been a member for a while, and watched with great interest. I though I was sending my request to all? Sorry for not knowing the difference about the privacy bit. perhaps you can advise me for future ref the best way to make a request in future.
Regards
Matt.

hi matt please dont worry you are not the first member to send a private message instead of posting on open forum...not easy to find your way around a forum and it takes time...anyhow you have done ok as you have made a post on this thread..if you get stuck just message me..also use the search box top right of the page to search for threads we may already have...ie key hill

going back to the 2 cafes you are looking for...from the location you give i think that they could come under soho hill not hockley hill certainly the pally is under soho hill..i will search my photo files to see if i have a photo of these cafes in the meantime click on the link below to take you straight to the soho hill thread as there are many old photos on it which may interest you...it is a long thread so start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything...i was very interested to learn that you once lived in key hill drive would you recall what number house it was ?

lyn

Hi Lyn & Carolina, thank you for the Soho hill link, I have as you said, had a good look and really enjoyed zooming around the area. Thank you also for the photo of the Miami coffee bar, unfortunately the Miami wasn't there during my 4 years living in that area between 1954 and 1958, its possible it was where the Tudor café was ??,it was on that side of, but possibly lower down the Hill? but the Tudor café was a Tudor style front, there is no indication of any Tudor style on the Miami, unfortunately I am not aware of when the Tudor café disappeared after I moved to Small Heath, or when the Miami came along, be good to find out? The Tudor café was very popular with teenagers in the early 50s, it had a Juke box with all the latest 45s on. I would be so grateful if someone might have any photos of the Tudor café from the early 50s...The other café on the right hand side on Hockley Hill going into town was owned by a Welsh lady we all knew as Edith. Be great if someone would have any photos of that?

In reply to your question about Key Hill Drive, the address I had was" BK/56 Key Hill Drive" BK meaning back of, it was a 2 bed attic type with living room flat above a Jewelry work shop who's frontage was on the corner of Key Hill with Key Hill Drive, we had to have a wash in cold water in the outhouse at the back, that would indicate that it was a house at one stage and the downstairs of the house was at some stage converted into a Jewelers work shop with access on the front in Key Hill with an address of 56, hence " BK/56 Key Hill Drive" therefore before the possible conversion the house number would have been No1 Key Hill Drive, does this make any sense?
Regards
Matt...(Jackeen)

hi matt thanks for your memories it is possible that the tudor cafe was a tad further down as soho hill went further down but that line of shops was demolished but will keep searching for both cafes you want

thanks also for info about back of 56 key hill drive and you are most likely correct about the house number being converted...i will ask our map expert for a map showing where it was..hopefully he can help although i have a feeling back of 56 could have actually been addressed as key hill...will try and find out.. click on the map link below for todays street view looking up key hill drive from key hill...i have a feeling where you lived was on the left corner where it says no parking but maybe you will be able to confirm this

lyn

Last edited:
great rob...OM that was the photo i was looking for ...would you know what number the palladium cinema was please as we could work down from that number wise..as i thought the tudor cafe has been demolished as there are on 3 of those shops in your photo left standing...below is street view

lyn

Last edited:
great rob that was the photo i was looking for ...would you know what number the palladium cinema was please as we could work down from that number wise..

lyn
See my previous post, it's in Hockley Hill, Palladium was about 34 Soho Hill
Burstein's (in photo) was number 8 & 10 Soho Hill

See my previous post, it's in Hockley Hill, Palladium was about 34 Soho Hill
Burstein's (in photo) was number 8 & 10 Soho Hill
thanks rob in that case OMs photo does not show the tudor cafe...will keep searching

agreed rob i also have that photo..benyon arms is on the right corner with farm st...think i have another photo showing more to the right will go and look

lyn

A photo from 2011 on the BHF but what we want to see is out of shot .. :)
some hockley shops close to the palladium 1950s
index.php

great aerial shot OM...i would say almost everything we see has been demolished save for icknield st school..the pally and the 3 shops next to it and i think i can just see the carnegie hunters road..when that photo was taken H SAMUEL in hunters road had not been built which is why we cant see the bridge clock that went from one side of hunters road to the other...the bridge was removed about 2 years ago... love the shot of the back of the houses in nursery road as you turn from hunters road

thanks

lyn

Back