• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tubes Limited

Thanks, my Dad loved his work at Tubes, it was without doubt his favourite place he worked, he had a really good friend there, his name was Stan Smart, I think he lived on Castle Vale. Dad was gutted when he took redundancy, he was in his early 50's, he eventually got a job at Tenby Electrical in Hockley as a Quality Manager, but I know he would have preferred to finish his working life at Tubes. I went for an interview myself at Tubes as an apprentice, but chose to stand on my own two feet and got an apprenticeship at an engineering company in Tamworth. Will miss my Dad, a real gentleman, a great engineer and my inspiration. His time at Tubes was a happy time, thank you all for that period in his life

Like your Dad, I too really enjoyed my time at Tubes Ltd. It was such a friendly place to work. I worked in a couple of offices there in the 60s, and even became the social club Steward at the age of 17 (I think), in Sutton Coldfield. I think about the old place, and the people I worked with quite often, and it was by far the best place I ever worked. But thanks to this site, at least I can remember.

Hi Adept Brummie I worked at Tubes Ltd Rocky Lane from 1969 to 1975. I worked for the office based unit which dealt with timecards and statistical data(bonus--piece work etc)--initially in main office then in the forging dept. Some people I knew were Bill Jose--Bill Antrobus--Bill Sylvester--Wilson Bros--Denis Brassington--Ted Bilston--Ivor Jones--Fred Goldby and so many more---------any connection? Roger born 1944 ex Brummie born Nechells

Hi Richard George Storer was in my class at school(Eliot st) and I would loved to find out where he is now? I was at Tubes from 1969 to 1975 I worked as Data Clerk and was mainly based in Forging Dept. I spent most of my time in Foremans office and on the shop floor. People you may remember Bob Jinks Bill Jose all Forging crowd Ted Bilston etc Myself and Bill Jose were the main drivers behind the sports quiz team that represented the Hen & Chickens in initially Sports Argus than Sunday People sport quizzes and we were quite successful. Andy gaffer of the Hen & Chicks often supported us. Let me know if this rings a bell? Roger born 1944 Nechells boy

HI XMAS ;
I Sure recall him i worked in the forge in those periods along with bazzm he was a nice guy ;
also bazzm also worked there in the office along with me
when our bazz see this he will give you more info ; as well ;i and myself recall the other guys you have mentioniond
along withbig bill antroubus ; our bazz moved and went to scotland as you probaly are aware ;
will come back later ; best wishes astonian;;

Hello xmas54. I just noticed your posts. As Astonian says, I too worked in Tubes Ltd from '64-'70 in the production control office (boss Harry Brough), and then from '71-'77 in the forge dept, in the foremans office along with Bill Antrobus, and the other guys. I remember most of the guys you mention, Bill Sylvester, Don Fell, George ?, Mick ? and others (I will try and dig out more names when I get home from work tonight), but its great that youve posted a couple of things to jog the memory again. Will be in touch again soon. Barry.

Hi Barry I now recall we went running straight from work at Boldmere SC (you were fitter I smoked 20 a day) with the Head of the toolroom ? Wilson(his brother Doug worked there also)---contacts being Big Bill Antrobus and his sidekicks Billy Slyvester & Stan Smart (I got my work done quickly and spent hours in Bill`s office gassing) we often would bet on anything but rarely paid-up. I could also be found sitting by Denis Brassington`s lathe talking. People I remember in office Don Fell & Georgie Beavon(nice men) Billy McCool Meaney brother(his brother Mick shop steward) Big Dave Millard Jack Medland Jim Jeffery foundry men Ted Bilston Big Doughie Westwood night supervisor Bill Sedgley(machinist) Ken Green(day machinist) I could go on forever regards Roger

I remember all those names Roger, and, although I havent got them all yet, here are a few that came to mind today. Bill Weir, The Wilson Bros., Jack Fairweather, Roy Bigland, Nobby Richards, Clive Wallace (was Pratt). I got on great with Ted & Big Dougie. I still remember the morning after the pub bombings and Bill McCool coming in hanging his head in shame, worried about how everyone would treat him. Obviously we all made him assured that we didnt hold him personally responible. You mantion Jim Jeffries, but his brother John also worked in the forge dept. And thanks for adding Beavon to my George. It wouldnt come to me yesterday. When I get a chance, I will look for the farewell card that I got when I left Tubes. There should be a few more names to jolt our memories there. Will keep in touch. Barry.

Hi Barry Roger Boulton--Jack Fairweather union conveyner gave me his old gob stick(clarinet)--remember the others you mentioned.bye Roger

hi guys
Here is afew lost. Streets and renamed streets of brum
Present street bevington road Aston. Former named. upper Sutton street, ,part of changed. 1878;
Broughton. Road. Handsworth. hall. Road. Changed 1901;
belchers lane. Stechford. mill Lane. Changed 1897 ,,
lost streets. coach yard. (1884)
cotton row. Off fazely street. (1884 )
Cotton street off fazely street. (1884 l
engine street off new canal street. ( 1886 l
forge street off mill street Aston road. ( 1886 l

Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Hi Astonian, hope you don't mind me butting into your thread but I really need some Aston history and I think you might be the man who can help.
My grandad worked at a factory called the tubes in Aston in the 60s. No-one seems to know what this place is called, can you please help. Many thanks. CaroleC

Last edited by a moderator:
CaroleC. Astonian will no doubt be in touch about your query very soon, but i thought i would let you know that there was a firm called Tubes Ltd in Rocky Lane, Aston. Both Astonian and myself, worked there in the 1960s-70s. Will look forward to hearing who & where your grandad is, & worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
worked at Hercules Cycles, Rocky Lane in 1945 (just changed back from manufacturing aircraft parts), is this the same firm as Tubes of the 50's ?? or were they two separate companies Eric

I worked at Tubes Ltd when i left school in '64 till '77 (bar for a break of 1 year), until i moved up here Eric. I'm not sure when Tubes began in Rocky Lane.

Eric and bazz
Regarding the question of Hercules and tubes they was two different company,s
And it was tubes investments ltd that bought out Hercules cycles around the mid fiftys which was part of the britistish steel corporation
Whom also had another foundry operating at Bromford lane first before setting up the on rocky lane Aston cross this was facing the Bromford
Metal rolling mills on Bromford bridge just yards from the old Bromford horse racing track way back
Which they drawer metal tubes and pipes they was an indepentant company no think to do with tubes limited
I actual drew metals there myself many years ago before going to tubes limited and meeting up with. Our forum member and old work college
And dear friend whom I am still in touch with by emails whom worked there for years
Also tubes had another department around the corner facing the forge on the corner of chest on red also just up passing the hen and chick pub
Directory across the road on rocky lane just more or next to the coffee house and the bridge of rocky lane just before the Rupert pub
And the old BRS railwaydeliverys depot and we all of us the employees of tubes used to get our sandwiches from
Across the road we had what was called a runner for the company we had an old chap and he wasa labourer and ran for the whole company of excetitives as well all
Day long and we worked dam end hard and sweateted in the foundry amongst the hot and moult tubes it was all team works from start to finish
From the top office management and through working managements such as the people bazzm as mentioniond
He for got to mention himself along with a side kick ginger but I would also like to mention one person whom as Ben missed out
Because a lot of the people cannot recall all managements of our period I mentioniond him nine years ago when we did this thread of tubes
And he was a sincere hard working man senior foreman of the shift patterens and that was a man called Stan fisher
He was a street neibour to me on the Lichfield road he lived up the next entry to me next to Thompsons
And his son Colin and me went to the same school but sadly I moved from Aston and I learnt he married my childhood sweet heart
When they grew up I was in the forces on leave so when I got wind of it I dashed down to the Aston parish church and seen them coming out of the church for the photographer I stood by the wall of the entrance gates I stared down she looked beatuful and I seen her staring back
Sorry about that input memories flooding. Back now so for all our guys whom mentionioned the gathers and friend the one they could not recall was Stan fisher
A great and sincere man god bless him there is other guys whom worked there on the forges great people and great family as its been said numerous times on here about working at tubes limited
So that's the history of tubes limited it started as tubes investments nation wide and combined with the British steel corporation
That's what tubes investments limited was a sister company with the step corporation despite the break down of the ecomminy
Within the steel industries as we all new they felt the effects and closed down and kept the forge still producing steel tubes
Until its final shut down just short of that break down of closing the furnaces and the forge down I left owing to a marriage break up
May I just had about the ,little coffee shop across the red that's was my mothers family business and she spent many hours in that shop as a child
As it was a one of many coffee shops they had running the jelfs
Best wishes to very one and I hope my friend bazzm is reading it to remind him of our man Stan fisher and Stan Robinson great guys

Hello my Dad worked at Hercules in rocky lane then Tubes took over l have his long service watch from tubes,at different stages of their lives most of my family worked there my Mom/Dad met there,even my Nan worked there.
Lovely to hear from someone else keeps it still going.

who was this person[ Ginger ] as my dad was very friendly with someone by that name and we went to his wedding what year are you talking about.

Hi Pauline I would like to know whom was your father by name and yes it was a general practice for the employer of tubes investments
To give an indivisioanal a gold watch for long services and believe me there was a couple of guys whom reached that period
Of long continuios service of 25 years on the subject of ginger I have to put my thinking cap on this one as I knew ginger and so did Barry
We worked together along side of each other every day of the week ,do you know I can still visualise him now in is overalls but I just cannot recall his name
At this provide moment when I have finish here I will e,mail bazz and asked him if he recalls gingers name for the love nor money I just cannot recall his name
But rest assured I will strain my brain until it come to me so may be bazzwill have it as bazz spent a lot of the time in and out of the office as well
As on the shop floor as ginger was also in and out on the shop floor organising and chasing the orders up to me and check to get them out and up lifted
Onto transport we was a great team and the whole work force through out was the best company and batch of men to work with
I wish they was still operational and I would go back there tomorrow
Pauline I have worked for the brewers I used to run pubs and clubs through the country for many years right up until my retirement
And believe me tubes ltd was my best job that I ever took on
I have every reason the fella ,s wedding I think could have been Stan fishers whom would have fitted the bill do you know what year you are speaking about with your dad Pauline I will sign off now but I will be email bazzshortly tonight but it might take time for him to pick it up as he works shift up at an Scottish airport
And that depends on when he gets it but he will say ya or nay he cannot recall gingerts name but I do honestlly believe he may despite the number of years we all left
But when I came across bazzon here ten years ago I am sure we both spoke about ginger okay best wishes astonian

Hi Pauline
Please excuse me did you mean your father went to gingers wedding its possible that we mean ginger and not stans
I would really appreciate if you could confirm that it was gingers wedding your father went to
I have sent bazzm an email so we will have to wait on bazz hoping he can recall. Alan,,,,,,,,

Hello my Dad worked at Hercules in rocky lane then Tubes took over l have his long service watch from tubes,at different stages of their lives most of my family worked there my Mom/Dad met there,even my Nan worked there.
Lovely to hear from someone else keeps it still going.
I don't know if i am doing this right,my dads name was william banner [bill] he was a very popular man and i loved him more than anything,Ginger was his mate and l remember we went to his wedding and reception It may have been Erdington
My Nans forman was a guy called Mr Silitow I don't think it is spelt like that but that was his name,my nans name was Florence Allchurch.
I remember Nan taking me to meet dad from work and l would see all the people lined up in a ready steady go mode then the hooter would go off and the race was on.My mom and dad met there so they married about 1938 and was courting for about 3 years before marrying.My Grandads name was Thomas John Allchurch.
My brother and l always went to the Aston hippodrome for our Christmas do with Hercules.My moms name was Doris Allchurch,well i will close now as i will keep you up all night,one last thing Ginger married about 1951/52.

Hi Pauline
Thanks for coming back to us just to let you know I have emailed our mate bazz m. Of our request and I know bazzm pop in tonight on the forum
So he would have seen your request I hope but just in case I have emailed early now whether he's got up and gone to work this even I g I do not know or he as came home from work and fine to bed after a quick look on the forum as us men folk do
We had afew bills on the shop floor I have a few bills in my vision and given the dates ginger fits the bill I have in mind
But I have contacted bazzm and I am hoping he comes up trumps good night Pauline and bear with us Alan astonian,,,

Hi
Yes l am sure without a doubt it was Gingers wedding,as l had a bad crush on ginger as young as l was and my Dad couldn't work out why l was so moody,he was getting married, by the way my dad went straight to Hercules from the orphanage he grew up in and someone else he worked with also called Bill noticed dad never had any lunch and very kindly said to dad his mum was always giving him to much food and did my dad want it as this mans mom would give him what for if he took it back home.My dad then went to live at their house and for the first time in his life he had a family, so you see my dad had a lot to thank Hercules for as well.
Many thanks for giving me the chance to tell you all my dad was the best.

I can vaguely recall a Ginger at the gate that Astonian mentions, but for the life of me,unfortunately, i cannot remember his name. Im sorry Pauline, but thanks for posting your message about your Dad. Im sure he was the best. Lets hope someone else might come up with the name of ginger.

Bazz
Ginger was in a little connected to the goods I inwards and outs receiving and sending out and eventually they gave a little hut
By the forge gates a little stocky guy he was always up the offices I have some reason to think his surname was ford cannot recall his christian name
I am racking my brains out for days on this one unfortu elately I have no other contact with any other ex employees only you
Other wise I could call on them still not to worry I will keep combing my pea brain and yes I will keep testing myself on this
He may name e been terrry or Dave he had the same colour overalls as Stan fisher with the emblem on of his postion but for some reason the name ford
Still not to worry mate nice to see you back on line I did send you an email but I presume now you never got it
Best wishes bazz speak soon. Alan

Alan. Now i know who were talking about. Ginger was Eugene Ford. Yes i remember him now. Took a while, but i got there. Speak to you later mate.

hello cookie you worked at Hercules the same time as my dad,my dad was there before then, my mom and dad met there and married in 1939,dad was there when they became tubes,my dads name was william banner [bill] did you know him .

My father was Chief Metallurgist at TI .
He was there for many years . He did the occasional stint behind the bar at the TI social club at Boldmere Rd that is where he met my mother back in 1956 as her father also worked at TI Arthur Bromwich he died in 1957 . My fathers name was Frank James Cooper ,he passed in July 92 at the age of 67 ,he was made redundant in1983 the same day as me , I worked at Parsons Peebles in Witton down Electric Avenue I'm now 51 .
I remember an open day at TI in the early 70s,I remember the incredible ear splitting noise as the tubes were dropped onto each other , my dad had a triple glassed office for that reason .

I still have his 25 years service watch awarded in 1967 so he started in 1942 and finished in 1983 ,his boss was Foster forget his first name Dennis ? his name regularly mentioned .He never really talked about work , he had something to do with the Renyolds 531 tube also for JCB (hydraulic pistons) Whale harpoon guns( noooooo !)
,Dowty (pit props) , Rolls Royce engines and specified for the piston tubes for skip lorries ,also tank gun barrels for MOD.
He got me a discount on my Raleigh Chopper as it was in the group in 73 all of £38 from Halfords in Sutton ( which I still have )
I'm afraid the redundancy was the death of him , he suffered from angina from the age of 55 , I know his job was very stressful . Perfecta Tubes comes to mind , must have been in the early days ,sorry if I'm rambling.

Hi cooperman 63
Just read your thread with great interest as its brought memories flooding back to me as I also worked for tubes
I can recall your father he was a very nice guy and of his triple glazed office he was a very well liked guy
On the subject t of tubes open days I used to do the guided tour around the works from one end to another on these open days
With another couple from the office and show them around the foundry and explain the working,
Lots of people used to come in and some of them was employee,s bringing in there family's it was a great company to work for
We have another guy on this forum whom is a great guy and my old friend whom we worked together side by side
At tubes for years and his name is bazz he now lives up in Scotland with his family he worked very close with your father
As bazz was in and out of the offices working close with them as he operated from the offices as well as along with me
I am still in touch with bazz we email each other often so I am sure as soon as bazz. Reads this thread of hours you will get a responds from hiim
I hope you will keep in touch cooperman 63 and look forward to seeing you on here more often
By the way my late father in law also worked at parsons for many years until he retired he died area years back now
He was a senior foreman named charlie Williams I wonder if you ever came across him during your time time at parsons
Have a great day astonian,,,,

cooperman63. I put my comp on this morning and found a message from Astonian (Alan). Ive just read your message above, & Alans too, but im afraid i cant recall your Father, but then again, there where over 5000 people working there at my time. Regarding his boss Foster, im afraid i draw an even bigger blank. I just cant remember the name. I see you mention that your Father did the occasional stint behind the bar at the social club in Boldmere Road ? This is a reminder to me, as when i was 17 (and at that time working in the production control dept alongside Ray Cook), Ray talked me into taking on the job as Tubes Social Club Steward. I cant fully recall how long i did the job, but i know it was more than a year. I loved it there. There where some great nights there, dances, quizzes etc. But most of my time there i was on my own. I see you worked in Electric Avenue at one time. Another connection with me as my Father worked at Hallidays Drop Forgings there all his life. Small world isnt it ? Coming back to Tubes Ltd again, Im afraid the name ? Foster doesnt ring any bells either. Sorry. And regarding the loud noises you heard there, i can associate with, as when i worked in the Forge Dept (alongside Alan) my job enabled me to cover the whole of the factory from Aston Cross to Cheston Road, including most of the offices. I thoroughly enjoyed my 12 years of working there, and will never forget the great people i worked with. I came up to Scotland in 1977 but have never forgotten Tubes Ltd, and thankfully i managed to make contact with Alan through this great site, and, as he says, we keep in touch here. I hope you can find the answer to your enquiry here, as more people join this forum each day, and therefore hopefully more ex-Tubes employees join. Best regards, Barry.

Back