• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trying to identify a school

JustineA

Hi, I'm trying to identify the school in this 1920's school rugby photo. The photographer was by J Haskins Hall Green Birmingham.

Attachments

• 2023-10-27 11.45.53-1.jpg
    2023-10-27 11.45.53-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 2023-10-27 11.45.42-1.jpg
    2023-10-27 11.45.42-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 80
I think the photographer may possibly be F Haskins. There is a Frank Haskins listed as a photographer on the 1921 census living on Stratford Road, possibly 1142.

Difficult to work out the school from the photographer, what is the name of the player?

Maybe the badge on the jersey could help and the initials on top of the cap ? Chances are it's a school near Stratford Road. And could it have been a private or grammar school ? Viv

If you use Google images and Birmingham schools rugby there are many badges shown, but none resemble the one pictured. As said the name could easily mentioned in the Birmingham Press.

Is it definitely a school?
I wondered if it was a rugby club youth side or even an "old boys," rfc.
In the 1920s, if it is a school, then most likely a grammar school.

Is it definitely a school?
I wondered if it was a rugby club youth side or even an "old boys," rfc.
In the 1920s, if it is a school, then most likely a grammar school.
I had thought that too. The cap letters would be a real clue, but I can't quite make them out. I thought the last three would be RFC (Rugby Football Club) and the first might well be O (Old).

I had thought that too. The cap letters would be a real clue, but I can't quite make them out. I thought the last three would be RFC (Rugby Football Club) and the first might well be O (Old).
That was my thought as well.
I tried Old Sils, Old Saltleians even Old Salopians as I thought the other letter might have been an S
I think the bird is the Sussex martlet so it may have been a visiting team

284-1.jpg
Honours cap, sold at auction £50. Would a school or university use RFC? Must be a club side. But if not Bishop Stortford then who?

The arms of Cookes (Argent, two chevronels between six martlets 3, 2 and 1 gules) were adopted by both Worcester College and Bromsgrove School. Wikipedia.
The shirt below seems similar. It is a photograph taken of one of the 1911 Bromsgrove School Rugby team (Spencer Travers).
1698507416928.png

View attachment 185482
Honours cap, sold at auction £50. Would a school or university use RFC? Must be a club side. But if not Bishop Stortford then who?
Oxford University do use RFC on their caps (see below) including those awarded to their sporting blues. I had initially thought he might have been team captain of Worcester College Rugby team and have been awarded a blue for playing in say the Varsity match.

1698508482445.png

The shirt below seems similar. It is a photograph taken of one of the 1911 Bromsgrove School Rugby team (Spencer Travers).
View attachment 185509

Oxford University do use RFC on their caps (see below) including those awarded to their sporting blues. I had initially thought he might have been team captain of Worcester College Rugby team and have been awarded a blue for playing in say the Varsity match.

View attachment 185511
Be nice if JustineA showed the whole photo to confirm it was a school one and/ or named the lad in her photo. Both Bromsgrove School and Worcester College are likely to keep good records and indeed his name may be inscribed in gold leaf on an honours board.

I've enlarged the badge on the original photo. Though both Worcester College Oxford and Bromsgrove School based their badge on the Cookes coat of arms, there are some differences. Bromsgrove School has a red hand device in the centre of the shield which is surmounted by an armoured hand and arm bearing a sword. I think this is more likely to be Bromsgrove School.

Enlarged.jpg

Back