• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

trouble with Ancestry

33bus

master brummie
Since last Friday I have been having trouble with Ancestry.I can sign in ,and enter search details ok but when I click the enter buttons the page struggles to open ,or the possible matches open then when I click on a name , it struggles to open ,then it takes me to the Register page .I apreciate nothing can get fixed over the weekend and they never answer emails and they had a simular problem earlier in the year .Is anyone else having this problem .cheers Tom :(:(

No Tom, I used it intesively yesterday - some features have slightly changed in their appearance, but all worked fine for me.

I've been using it for a while and it's been fine.
Have you tried running a cleanup proggy to clear your cache and cookies and temp files?

Hello Lloyd,LottieB Tankyou for your reply I got 3 options back from Ancestry one of which stated that they hadnt sorted all the problems with Vist nad IE8 but ive had no trouble till last FridayI cleared temp files,and cookies for IE8 and re registered when it welcomes me with my username when I try and open the searched names the sreen flickers but deither dosent load or it takes me to a page telling me that" they have millions of names and records" I think its part of the 14day offer the top bar (https)is a right jumble ancestry.co .search/registery etc,etc Ive tried to copy but its not stable enoughincedently after the my search details the possible name matches appears in the top righthand corner the 14day offer apears when I check my account details they are all correct . cheer Tom

Ah that might be it - I don't use IE8 *spit* lol, I use good ole Firefox.

It's worth a try, you can downoad and use firefox instead of IE8. It won't get rid of your IE8, you can actually have them running at the same time. It's a good idea to have more than one browser for when things go belly up as you're finding ;)

You can get it here:

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

:thumbsup:

:):)Hi LottieB thanks for that Ive umed and arred over Firefox in the past ,but ive never had any serious trouble with IE that I can recall ( if it aing broken dont fix }
any way Ive downloaded Firefox Ive also had one last thought on my problem which I think is something to do with my registry , even thogh the site uses my username to welcome me . I Googled ANCESTRY and low and behold it allowed me to search as normal no 14 day offers etc so I tried useing Google 2/3 times ,went through reuseing my username etc and now my IE8browser works ok but I will keep Firefox incase IEplays up again thanks for your help cheers Tom:):)

No problem Tom :)
Oh and i had a ride on your bus last year (or one like it) at the Wythall open day ;)

Tom, I take it you do realise it's not one or the other regarding IE and FF. You can have them both installed and choose whichever you want to use and when. You can even have them both open running at the same time.

:)hI OisinI didnt realisethat you can have them both at the same time cheers for that .what ever I did or didnt do that affected my IE8 and Ancestry even after clearing cookies and temp files I still had the problem .I deleted the icon from desktop and Googled Ancestry then put a shortcut back on desktop and it worked perfectly what ever the problem it didnt affect any other site on my c/puter best regards Tom:)

Sounds like your original shortcut became corrupt in some way. All's well that ends well though.
cool9xa.gif

Back