• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trinity Road

Sorry ,speaking to 2 people at once yes Donald Buckley
Ok Thomas
do you remember me
Ok Thomas
do you remember me
Sorry ,speaking to 2 people at once yes Donald Buckley
Hi Don, my dads name was John also from trinity rd
Where did you live Don?
Witton Rd if you had a dog called Prince
your the guy I remember

If members want to chat with their old friends , then could they please do it by IM. However , if they have information which might be of interest to thers, then please post it in the appropriate thread

Thwhite house in the photo was next door to The Variety Artists Club. All the houses on the upper part of Trinity Road were impressive Victorian villas - in fact my grandmother used to 'do' for a few of them prior to WW1. The new houses mentioned were built around 1971, and the cul-de-sac in which they stand is called Woodridge, and the Variety Artists Club (if it still stands) is on the corner of Woodridge and Trinity Road. I was married in July 1971 and we bought our first house in Woodridge - a 3-bed semi with garage for the princely sum of £3950! Sounds peanuts, but I had a hell of a job to get a mortgage, as many prospective first-time buyers did in those days. We lived there until 1977 when my job moved us to the USA for a few years, and we sold our Woodridge house for a tidy profit.

Right opposite Woodridge on the other side of Trinity Road stood (or stands) a very large detached property which when I was younger was the residence and surgery of Mr E Hemming-Allen, dentist. All of the rooms were massive, and I once caught a glimpse of the well-tended grounds at the rear, and they seemed to go on forever. Mr Hemming-Allen was a lovely man, Australian by birth I think, and had a wonderful gentle 'touch' when fixing teeth! His son Michael took over the practise, but moved out long ago. I do remember the elder Mr H-A drove a Bentley....

I haven't been down that way for years, but I can guess the area isn't what it used to be.

G

Looking at the photo of Trinity Road near its junction with Bevington Road (where my grandparents lived and where my mother was born), I noticed the demolition of the corner property - in the 1970's, at a guess - which was once a Cow-Heel and Pie Shop! They also sold cooked tripe, which on occasion my grandad would buy - to me, it looked and smelled disgusting! In fact, you could smell that shop long before you saw it!
I can't remember what it became after that shop closed, but following the demolition the site is now a medical-centre - or was.

G

Thwhite house in the photo was next door to The Variety Artists Club. All the houses on the upper part of Trinity Road were impressive Victorian villas - in fact my grandmother used to 'do' for a few of them prior to WW1. The new houses mentioned were built around 1971, and the cul-de-sac in which they stand is called Woodridge, and the Variety Artists Club (if it still stands) is on the corner of Woodridge and Trinity Road. I was married in July 1971 and we bought our first house in Woodridge - a 3-bed semi with garage for the princely sum of £3950! Sounds peanuts, but I had a hell of a job to get a mortgage, as many prospective first-time buyers did in those days. We lived there until 1977 when my job moved us to the USA for a few years, and we sold our Woodridge house for a tidy profit.

Right opposite Woodridge on the other side of Trinity Road stood (or stands) a very large detached property which when I was younger was the residence and surgery of Mr E Hemming-Allen, dentist. All of the rooms were massive, and I once caught a glimpse of the well-tended grounds at the rear, and they seemed to go on forever. Mr Hemming-Allen was a lovely man, Australian by birth I think, and had a wonderful gentle 'touch' when fixing teeth! His son Michael took over the practise, but moved out long ago. I do remember the elder Mr H-A drove a Bentley....

I haven't been down that way for years, but I can guess the area isn't what it used to be.

G
I'm sure I remember a pub that used to stand at the corner of Woodridge and Trinity Road until the early '70s, but I can't for the life of me remember the name!

That was the Variety Artists Club, Alf. It did look a bit like an old pub, and IIRC there might even have been a sign advertising the beer it sold, but I can't be sure of this. I did go in, just the once, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

G

That was the Variety Artists Club, Alf. It did look a bit like an old pub, and IIRC there might even have been a sign advertising the beer it sold, but I can't be sure of this. I did go in, just the once, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

G
Many thanks for jogging my memory, G. The old memory is not what it was!

Back