• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Trantom & Co Pershore Road Stirchley

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This is labelled as Trantoms, Birmingham. Is it ? There are few pointers in the photo to confirm it. Can anyone identify it please ? Viv.

8F49D6BE-3632-46A2-B0D9-A1E5B6499829.jpeg

Viv - 1905 Kelly's lists
1609071203302.png

It seems to be listed under Northfield although my brain thinks of "Tenacres and Stirchley".

Will see if I can find a better address.

Fascinating photo, now wracking my brains for exactly where this shop could be located, Pershore road Stirchley was mainly flat but the shop is on an incline. Am I assuming right that the building next door is a post office

I tried to think as well. Not sure if there has been any renumbering at all.
Possibly renumbered but The shop next to Selly park school was Adams, Adams is listed as No 164 Pershore Rd so it must be the one. There is a photo on BHF of Adams stores

Present view - showing Selly Park School + two shops.
Pershore Road

There has been a renumbering, as on 1971 - 1979 maps that shop is number 1047 but 2 St Stephens Road just round the corner and also on the Trantom list is still there.
1609153639247.png

Last edited:
Just to add to the information (I have a spreadsheet showing most, not all, the convolutions of Pershore road from Kellys and census), the shop in Stirchley was at what is now no 1419. The early occupants and numbering is as follows, it being a grocer throughout that period:
1900 -1903 John Norris, numbered 38
1904-1905 Trantoms numbered 38
1908 Trantoms numbered 38
1908 Trantoms numbered 164
1912-1915 Benjamin Adams numbered 164
1921 Benjamin Adams numbered 1419

Was it unusual for a grocery shop to be selling seeds and fertiliser ? Was also wondering why there was a map of Europe in the window. Viv.

Just to add to the information (I have a spreadsheet showing most, not all, the convolutions of Pershore road from Kellys and census), the shop in Stirchley was at what is now no 1419. The early occupants and numbering is as follows, it being a grocer throughout that period:
1900 -1903 John Norris, numbered 38
1904-1905 Trantoms numbered 38
1908 Trantoms numbered 38
1908 Trantoms numbered 164
1912-1915 Benjamin Adams numbered 164
1921 Benjamin Adams numbered 1419
Does that mean it is not the shop next to the school which seems to be 1047?

1419 is shown on the c1950 map below. Now new frontage and is on a corner, so no confirmation on Streetview, but I am sure that this was the shop,

map c1950 showing 1419 pershore road.jpg

The above photo is No2 St Stephens Rd, the other store by the school is round the corner to the left.

The phot certainly seems to show that the Trantoms was opposite the dogpool. . will have to work out what that means for my conclusions

Yes, that was definitely the St Stephens Road shop, but the one at 164 was further down as marked on the map.

The phot certainly seems to show that the Trantoms was opposite the dogpool. . will have to work out what that means for my conclusions
Don’t forget the Dogpool pub moved to the opposite corner (diagonally) after this photo was taken.

Didn’t think the reverse had been posted in the listing, there was only the one photo of the front. I’ve gone back to the fuller description and it shows a photo of the reverse on there. Here it is. Looks like 1915. The author says it’s ‘our shop’ and he/she mentions Ernest, I think. It’s signed off “love from all at 79” Maybe 79 was their home address. Viv.

98CDF6E9-0848-4DCD-BC39-2957C89A2C2D.jpeg

George Trantom, grocer and provisions living in Liverpool (1911 census). They must have just moved out of B,Ham.

If there’s no listing of the Trantom’s shops in 1915 in Brum, maybe this was a shop elsewhere (like Liverpool if they moved there.

I wondered why they had a map of Europe in the window, maybe it was to map the progress of WW1 if the photo is 1915. Viv.

I have my doubts, I knew this corner well in the 50s, the upstairs was the Stirchley working mans club. Not sure how long it was there before the 50s though.

Me too Grea. The name fascia looks different, although they could have had that altered. And the position of the shop doesn’t look correct. It’s one of their shops obviously, but I don’t think its the one in the original photo. Viv.

Back