• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Train Building in the UK

My mother-in-law used to be a “Tracer” for Metro-Cammell Washwood Heath. The draftsmen and designers would make their drawing in pencil, she would then trace it in Indian ink onto this very high-quality tracing paper. I recall her saying some of it had a silk base.

I have to say how skilled she was, and the level of detail and neatness was impressive. I do recall a lot of the drawing she worked on were London underground trains.

Mort, we act did tracing as a part of my technical apprenticeship at Brooke Tool. We put the ink onto a coated cloth, very fine. Most apprentices did not do the best job.

The skill level of people like you mother in law was SO and very respected at least in our office. Tracers had art like as well as strong technical skills!

when you messed up the Indian ink You had to scrape it off with a razor and polish the surface with a rubber. I became very skilled at this

My mother-in-law used to be a “Tracer” for Metro-Cammell Washwood Heath. The draftsmen and designers would make their drawing in pencil, she would then trace it in Indian ink onto this very high-quality tracing paper. I recall her saying some of it had a silk base.

I have to say how skilled she was, and the level of detail and neatness was impressive. I do recall a lot of the drawing she worked on were London underground trains.

Back