• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tozer's Improved Ambulance (Birmingham? 1890s)

Pallen

Hi,

has anyone ever come across one of these "Tozer Improved Ambulance", it looks like a type of litter, although a later edition of the Ashford Litter type model.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this, or if others exist? I have seen a lot of references to the Tozer family on this in Birmingham.

Many thanks,

Pallen

Attachments

• D21xiSLWsAATOGj.jpg
    D21xiSLWsAATOGj.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 30
  • tozer.jpg
    tozer.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks, might check with a friend who might be signed up to the Lancet.

Yes I think Tailby and Tozer are different people.

Edward Mantle Tailby is an unusual name, but there is an Edward Mauth Tailby, timber merchant, (42), living in Edgbaston (could be Mantle), in the 1911 Census. So his birth would be around 1869.

There is an Edward Mantle Tailby, County Director of the Birmingham, British Red Cross Society, who was awarded the OBE in 1935.
Further there is an Edward Mantle Tailby OBE who died in 1948, address being Church Hill, Tettenhall, and Director of the Port of Gloucester Docks . His birth year is also 1869.

The Lancet article occurs in 1885, and if this is the Tailby, then he would be around 16 years old.

Back