• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Toye

palmal

proper brummie kid
I would be very pleased to contact anyone in the Birmingham area's who are researching the TOYE surname.
In 1841 Thomas Toye had Thornhill Farm in Handsworth not far from the Boulton Factory
I have all the census information on all the Toye's in the Staffordshire Warwickshire area's ,and will be very pleased to assist anyone researching my ancestors.

Kind Regards

Malcolm Toye [Belfast]

Toye-Bagguley-Ireland-Whitehouse-

Hi Malcolm
I have been trying to find an Ada Toye born about 1879. She married William Stevenson in 1898 and died in 1929. I found one Ada about the right age on the 1901 census but she was still single. I am afraid this is a bit of a brick wall for me. Can you shed any light on this I wonder?
Regards
Sheila

Hi there,This isn't your Ada by any chance,is it?
Name: Ada Stevenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William
Where born: Aston, Warwickshire, England
Civil parish: Aston
Ecclesiastical parish: St Andrew
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street Address:
53 Garrison Street,Deritend,Birmingham
Registration district: Aston
Sub-registration district: Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel: 77
Household schedule number: 78
Household Members:
William Stevenson 23 born B'ham.Occ Railway Carman(I think that's what it says)
Ada Stevenson 21
Lillian H Stevenson 2 born B'ham

Hi,
Looks as if the person before me has answered your query.
The only Ada I had was born in Aston in 1877 and as you said she was still single on the 1901 census.Checking the FreeBMD for marriages she married in the June Qtr 1901 to either Alfred White or Alfred Thompson Vol 6d page 55I .I have her ancestors going back to James Bridgeman Toye born around 1777 married to Elizabeth Stretton in 1818 That would be my 4X Gt grandfathers brother.I would be pleased to help you with your Toye connection if I can ,obviously you have an Ada Toye who does not exist on the Ancestry .co.uk site or a marriage on the FreeBMD site.Well done the person who was able to help you

Kind regards

Malcolm Toye

do you have this --

Name:Ada Toy
Year of Registration:1879
Quarter of Registration:Apr-May-Jun
District:Aston (1837-1924)
County:Warwickshire
Volume:6d Page: 388

bren

Was the parents of the Ada born 1877, George and Mary J, i think that's the one i found in 1881

bren

Bren,
Thank you for your reply
Yes,Ada Toye born about 1877 was the daughter of George Toye born 1850 and Mary Jane Kimberley born 1852.
Thank you also for the info on Ada TOY a different family altogether although some of the TOY families added the "E" later on.
My Gt Grandfather William Toye died in Erdington in 1936 lived at 18 Highcroft Road and my Grandfather died at Sutton Coldfield Hospital in 1945 and lived at Maney Hill Road Sutton Coldfield.

Kind Regards

Malcolm Toye

Hi all
Thank you all for your replies.
It has been a few years since I looked at the Toye family and I had forgotten that I had seen William and Ada in the 1901 census. My real problem arises when I look for Ada's birth certificate. The only one I could find was an Ada Toye born in 1879. There is no father given and her mother was Caroline. I don't know if it is the right Ada or not. This is where I am stuck.
Thanks once again for your replies.
Regards
Sheila

Hi, my name is Nick Toye, and I believe Malcolm we have already crossed paths in other forums, and over email. :)

I'm interested in Victorian Toy(e)'s in the Quinton district.

Hi Nick,Yes I have replied to you on several occasions and sent you my family tree chart.I would suggest you contact me by IM and I will give you contact details as to who to contact concerning the family .His ancestors go back to John Toy and Rosanna at around 1800.You might also like to have a DNA done I had my 67 marker done with Familytreedna ,this may be the only way of finding a common ancestor.I do have a 12 marker match with Charles Toye in Kissammee near Florida,his father originaly came from Brighton and was shipped to Canada/Usa with Dr Bernardo's in 1911

Regards

Malcolm Toye

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick ,
I think the initial Dna 12 Marker test is about £100,not sure as I had mine done in April and November 2007.I went from 25,37 and finally 67 marker tests I think 12 marker test is a waste of time to get a good match.

Ok, no idea what that means. :)

I have gone back as far as 1796, and that is pretty direct. Not sure what DNA will do for me, I may look at just getting a marriage certificate, or birth certificate from my earliest ancestor to trace it back further.

Nick,
I did suggest you contact Anthony Toye at Ridgeacre Road Quinton,and I also included his phone number but unfortunately the Admin staff have removed it.I can understand why with all this junk mail you can end up with.I am back to a similar date but in Handsworth .I question where were the Toy[e] before that date .I know they go back to the 1500's in Worcestershire the IGI shows that,We have the Toye's in London claiming to come from the Huguenots and another Toye family from Brighton if just one of those males from each family had a DNA it would prove we are all connected [ or not]. At the moment my DNA comes from the Friesland tribe on the East Coast of Holland ,but no doubt that will change as more research is done.
Malcolm

Malcolm I removed the address and phone number for safety, this is an open forum where posts come up on Google. I also sent an IM explaining why and suggesting you use this method to pass such information between yourself and Nick.

Hello Malcolm
I am interested in Thomas Toye, who was in the Handsworth/Birmingham area around 1780 - 1800. I note you mentioned one as a farmer in Handsworth?
The person I am looking for carried some goods for Matthew Boulton. This may have been an occasional (part time) business and I would be interested to see if we can exchange notes. I am a student, currently looking at the carriage of goods out of the industrial midland metropolis in the late eighteenth/early nineteenth centuries.
Any help would be wonderful!
Dawn

Dawn,
Thank you for your email.I do know Thomas Toye rented land from Matthew Boulton according to the 1840 Tithe Valuation , and he lived a short distance from the Boulton Estate,I will be pleased to help you where I can although I have limited information myself ,mainly because I do not live in England and have not had the opportunity to do any local research.I was more intrigued with the Henry Toye Bridgeman WILL connection 1708-1785 although I have not found a direct link to the Kinsman connection.

Regards

Malcolm Toye [Belfast]

Hi Malcolm
I do not live too far from Birmingham and so might be able to help you (when the Birmingham Archives have sorted themselves out after their imminent move!) Are you sure about the Tithe Valuation dates? Mathew Boulton died in 1809 and so I would be intrigued to have sight of the content of the Tithe if you have it(?).

My interest was sparked by a record in the Boulton papers when I was looking at carriers of goods on behalf of Boulton et al. In those papers I found a record that on 23rd Dec 1791, 'Thos Toy was paid £15 18s for carriage'. Then on 1st Sep 1792 'Thomas Toy cartage from Winson Green Wharf £1 8s 6d.'
The inference is that goods were probably transported via a local Thomas Toye to / from the wharf. This would not have been an unusual thing for a farmer to do as the boats did not necessarily go every day and so the cartage may well have been a sideline. I think it worth checking through, don't you?

If you come up with anything closer to my dates (around 1800 +- 20) could you let me know?

tx

Dawn

Dawn,
Thank you for your email.I do know Thomas Toye rented land from Matthew Boulton according to the 1840 Tithe Valuation , and he lived a short distance from the Boulton Estate,I will be pleased to help you where I can although I have limited information myself ,mainly because I do not live in England and have not had the opportunity to do any local research.I was more intrigued with the Henry Toye Bridgeman WILL connection 1708-1785 although I have not found a direct link to the Kinsman connection.

Regards

Malcolm Toye [Belfast]

Dawn ,
Thank you for your email.The information I have came from the Digital Handsworth Site under Learning Journeys-Database-Search-Toye it displays all the Tithe paid to a Matthew Robinson Boulton and William Robinson Boulton possibly the sons of the Matthew Boulton .? Numbers 28,538,540,541,542,551,557,555,565,133,135,200,Note the TOY and TOYE,are they the same person.I actually have two Thomas Toye's around that time frame you mentioned 1800+- 20 and both were Farmers going by their Wills Thomas Toye born 1746-1827 married Elizabeth Harthill and Thomas Toye 1773-1846 married Ann Darby Father and Son.Not much help I know

Regards

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm
this information is really very interesting. I am looking at Toye, the father. Yesterday I spent the afternoon at Birmingham Archives lookings at the Boulton Day Book for 1791 - 1795, and Thomas Toye was the carrier used to transfer coinage in casks to the local wharves for onward transmission. He most likely 'fitted this in' around the farm work as, looking at the Day Book, the work was a bit erratic.
You say that you have the Wills? Is there any chance you might have a look and see if any reference is made to the equipment, or the animals?
Thank you so much - I cant tell you how helpful you have been, but any time you need something looked up I will certainly do that for you if I can!
Best regards
Dawn

Dawn,
Thanks for the email,which I have made copies of.Thomas bequeathed unto his three children Thomas, James and Harriet . All and Singular my freehold leasehold personal Estate Cattle Chattels and any other Effects and Priviso.Thomas also went on that if his children could not agree to share and share alike then the Cattle and Chattels would be sold at auction and the monies arising there from shared and divided equally between my said three children.I know it is not much but maybe it may help.

Regards

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm
this is really quite fascinating.
I noted a reference in the thread is made to Thornhill. Thornhill was owned by a chap called John Scale until 1793. He was apparently a book keeper turned button maker, who became a partner to Matthew Boulton (as Boulton and Scale) when Fothergill (of Boulton and Fothergill) died. When Scale died in 1793, his wife, Agness and 2 boys (John and George) went to Aberdare - where she invested in the Iron Works. This is when Boulton took on Thornhill. Neither his son, nor his daughter were interested in living there, but his daughter, Ann, eventually did so and she lived at Thornhill House until she died there in 1829. I assume she wasnt interested in looking after the lands and that it was Toye who managed then and his animals were kept there. I could be wrong in that. Do you know?
There are quite a few references in the 1791-1795 Boulton Day Books for payments to Toye for carrying goods. I think that farmers were very useful at that time as they had odd bits of time available and some equipment to do the job - so from Boulton's point of view Toye was able to provide a very flexible and useful service.
This was a period of time when there are a lot of nervousness about trade due to the 7 yrs war and 'on and off' wars with France and, of course, civil unrest related to the french revolution and also non-conformist activities. I have found that Boulton tended to work with a very close network of people he knew and trusted very well. I wonder, do you know when your Toyes came to Handsworth or where they came from? Do you have a public family tree?

I hope you might find some of this info helpful, Malcolm. And that you are interested to look at this with me!!

Best regards

Dawn

Dawn,
Thank you for the email.I do have a copy of my Toye Tree on the Ancestry.com site.I had befriended a Richard Toy from Sutton Coldfield now living in Chester ,he was very helpful and sent me copies of Wills from the 17th,18th century which I did my best to decypher and print in the modern tongue.I suggested that he should have a DNA done to prove the family connection, unfortunately he was from a different Haplogroup and took it very hard, and I take it he has lost interest .One of the Wills was from Henry Toye 1708-1785 he later became Henry Toye Bridgeman,in his Will he names Thomas Toye as his Kinsman and leaves him and his three children,Thomas ,James,and Harriot various sums of money.Henry Toye lived at Catthorpe Hall at one time ,I have not managed to make a direct line to him as yet. Richard and I believed that Thomas Toye 1746-1827 was the son of John Toye [C] 1713 and Mary Clemson .we suspect the Toyes originally came from Wolverley in the 1500's then Over Areley, only with other Toye's having a Dna will we prove this.I have not managed to find a birth for Thomas Toye 1773 although his brother James Bridgeman Toye was baptised at St Phillips Birmingham in 1777 and sister Elizabeth in 1775 who died in 1777 but not Harriot or Thomas ?

Regards

Malcolm

Back