• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Toy shop on monument rd.

Bill123

master brummie
Does anyone remember a toyshop on Monument Rd just a couple of doors up from Shakespeare Rd, late 50's perhaps.
I remember the owner was possibly Hungarian or Polish.
The shop was full of fabulous toys which we could never afford, but I think I bought a pea shooter and plastic soldiers from there.

hi bill
yes i can recall the toy shops in fact there was two one afew yards from the shakespear and one just over the rd just from te number eight clock in on the bridge
and it was the corner of ickneild square and facining ledsam street i actual broke the window there one day when i was a little kid with a friend named tony he died many years ago in watery lane by the pub taking is girl friend home on the back of his motor bike when he was sixteen ; we broke the window when we was about
ten ; i am surprized our other forum member mossy did not recall it he lived very close the corner on shakespear rd and a guy tommy curly lived even closer and the othe person by the family ofhanlons lived there as well we called him blondie a goo looking kid we all went to school
some time ago on this forum some one mentioned tommy curly the singerhe was a great friend to our family and to one of my younger brothers
david when they went around together we called them peter and gorden because of there features tommy with his glasses and the size of my brother
tom looked like peter with his glasses on and years ago when the bus station in the bull ring introduced a machine to record your own voice singing thats
wht they did ;henc we started to called the peter and gordon the pop singes duo ; in that period ;best wishes astonian

Thanks Astonian.
The toy shop I enquired about was turn left at the top of Shakespeare rd onto Monument rd and was on the left, I think there was a cafe next door or a newsagent (better known as the paper shop).It was before you reached the bridge.
Have a Happy Christmas.
Bill.

HI BILL
Yes you are quite correct and the barbers was almost oppersite a couple a doors from the pub facing shakespear st
up the back houses was the curly family and the hanlons just to name a couple i recall the pub being called the station as it was just he cross the rd from the monument rail way station and sideing of cope street where there was another news agent and the son was in the school film they made around the area
i also wish you a very merry christmas and a healhy new year for 2012 best wishes astonian ;;

Hi Astonian.
Is there anything about Ladywood you don't know?
I think the barbershop was called Les-Ray, named after the 2 owners.
Have a great time.
Bill.

hi bill
merry christmas to you and your family
yes you are quite correct it was les ray and i know a fair bit about him;and others with in the area ;
i do know ladywood very well and i do know alot about it and a fair few habbinants
and because of my knowledge of the ladywood a couple of years ago my brother contacted me and told me of the site called ladywood ;
i can honestly say i never heard of the site until one day i was speaking to him at a funeral and i was telling him about my mebership with this forum i told him to lf the people if not all;

take a look at our site he then turned aroundand said ; Al; I do the ladywood site and he said you want to go on there he said because you would know half the people
if not the lot and sure and behold he was right because as a kid and grown up i got involved with a lot of things in ladywood of both sides of the fence if you get my drift
the really hard working people and the middle classes and the shop keepers dont get me wrong ;there is some things that i do not know in and around the ladywood site even thou my ancesters was there long before i came around to the area and with my back ground of people whom was involved with the city of the birmingham city i was taken around i was just forunately lucky that my mother came from that family she was and her relatives ;
bill i will not say nomore than that but i do not want to name drop my side or my mothers side of the family but i did grow up in the smalll kingdwards rd of ladywood ; okay best wishes for 2012 ;; astonian

Back