• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Toy Family

T

TOYS

Hi, my name is Jane Rochfort(nee Toy) I am trying to trace my family history, apparantly there were alot of "TOYS" in Handsworth and West Bromwich, My Father was Ken Toy, his mother and father were Joseph and Maud and had brothers and sisters, Maurice, Marjorie, Vera and a twin Mary. Ken was born in 1915 and they lived at 49 Hope St, West Brom.

Prior to that my My great grandfather (John and Emma) and his family lived in Prospect Terrace, Soho Rd, Handsworth. Any information would be great. I live in North Wales which makes life rather difficult. thanks Jane:rolleyes:

Toys r Us, here

Hello & welcome Jane :)

To add to the excellent posting from Mrs T to you,
here,s your G,daddy marriage in West Bromwich 1903

Joseph Arthur Toy married Maud Elizabeth Sperring
July/Aug/Sept Quarter, West Bromwich (Staffs) ref 6b page 1492

You could get this certificate with ref to Refs above, (£7.oo)
Best regards & good luck researching,
John Y :cool:

Last edited:
Hello Jane

What a great surname, here is your father and aunt -

Births --

Kenneth J & Mary 4th qtr 1915 mmn Sperring W.Bromwich 6b 1445

bren

Further info re 1901 census --

John Toy-Head- Grocery Shop Keeper-born Mansfield Nottingham
Emma- Wife- born Plymouth Devon
Emma Powell- Single-Daughter- born Handsworth Staff's
Ernest-Son-Single- born " "
Bertram - Son - Single - born " "
Joseph -Son - Single - Commercial Traveller Bedsteads-born " "
James - Son - Single - born - Handsworth Staff's
Laura Powell - G/Daughter - born Aston, Warwickshire

The address is given as 17 Louisa Road but the enumerator has noted on the census that they also occupied the property on either side of them, it might have been a corner property as they are 1 Prospect Tee on one side and 2 Prospect View the other

bren

There must have been a family with the name Toy in the Erdington area as I was at school with a girl called Pat Toy starting in the late l940's.

Thank you for the info

Thanks to all for the info, I would like to find out when my grandfather (joseph Toy ) died, something in my head tells me he was killed accidently?? dont know when or where, nobody left to ask unfortunatly:(

Joseph Toy

Hi Jane, can you work out approx when /where Joseph Toy died ?
As near as you can "guesstimate" makes searching Hundreds "Toy",s
a lot easier,,
He married in 1903 to Maud (Sperring)
So knowledge of Children born to them ? & dates of birth ( approx Ok )
All give clues to his age at death etc,
Accidental as you have heard =Family talk ? may be in Newspapers etc
Accidental could have been in War/ (blue on blue)Bombings/civilians
or a Traffic accident,, will be interesting to find out,
Cheers John Y :)

The Toy Family

Hello Jane,
I have a family of Toys who are related to me, i have not got the time at present to look at the tree but i will later in the day and let you know the outcome..............:)..........

Hello Jane,
I have just taken a look through the Toy tree which i might add does not belong to me, but here are some of the connecting Names.
Wilkes ,Prestiage, upjohn, Davis, Tibbits and Stretton if you have any of these names i will email the tree owner (who is my cousin) and ask him about swapping emails then you can have a good talk.
From Staffordshire and Aston.
He has told me that the Toys originated in Exeter.....Cat.......:)

IF I DON'T HERE FROM YOU GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR QUEST

Joseph Toy

Hi Jane,, this maybe (probably is ) your Joseph Toy age 78 at Death.
April/May/June Quarter 1935 Rowley Register register volume 6b page 920

Other TOY , deaths maybe of interest,,,
Florence Toy age 48 Jul/Aug/Sept Qu 1934 B,ham vol 6d page 396
Rosannah Toy age 73 Oct/Nov/Dec Qu 1934 Oldbury vol 6c page 38

Best regards John Y :)

I also have been looking through the deaths and found this one very interesting because of the middle name --

Geoffrey Sperring Toy age0 4th qtr 1907 W.Bromwich 6b 508

Also found a possible for --

John Toy 1st qtr 1910 W.Bromwich 6b 457. Age given as 72yrs

bren

Re: Can u help

Hello Jane,I have just had an email from my cousin Mr k toy he tells me that the Toys can be found from the tenth century at Modbury South Devon...Cat:)

Hello Jane

Seems we are cousins sharing the same grand-parents in Joseph & Maud Toy with your father being my Uncle Ken. My father was Maurice Sperring Toy and I do have information on Joseph which may be of interest to you. I do remember my father and Uncle Ken taking me as a young boy to watch West Brom hence my following The Baggies for many years to this day.

I notice you are down as a 'Guest' on this forum and it is over 5 years since your post thus, it is likely you may not get this message. By coincidence, whilst our main home is in the Staffordshire Moorlands, we also have a home on the coast in North Wales.

Regards

Malcolm Sperring Toy

Hi, my name is Jane Rochfort(nee Toy) I am trying to trace my family history, apparantly there were alot of "TOYS" in Handsworth and West Bromwich, My Father was Ken Toy, his mother and father were Joseph and Maud and had brothers and sisters, Maurice, Marjorie, Vera and a twin Mary. Ken was born in 1915 and they lived at 49 Hope St, West Brom.

Prior to that my My great grandfather (John and Emma) and his family lived in Prospect Terrace, Soho Rd, Handsworth. Any information would be great. I live in North Wales which makes life rather difficult. thanks Jane:rolleyes:

Hello Jane,

My Grandfather's brother, Wilfred Aston, a widower, married an Olive Toy, I think about 1940. My Mum told me Olive was a war widow (but her information was not always reliable!) and had a young son, Peter Toy. Wilfred lived in Eva Road, Winson Green, but his parents lived in Mary Road, Handsworth, where Olive also lived. Peter is now in Australia and I am able to contact him - I will send him details of this thread and he may be able to add something.

Isn't it lovely in North Wales this morning! I live in Porthmadog!

I found this record of a burial in Key Hill Cemetery.

Alfred Toy son of Alfred and Mary Toy killed by lightening 20th July 1918 age 17. Memorial section R no 378.

I'm sure there are 2 Toy graves in Section K in the main block 1 row in, just where the Catacombs/Vaults meet - Used to be visisted frequently by a chap who had previously lived in Greece or Corfu - Hotel business. They were his parents.
I lost my data when old machine died - so cannot confirm graves - 2 side by side.
Brian

Could it be section L Brian - there is L220 Amelia Toy 1934 and L225 Albert Frederick Toy 1935

or there are two in one grave L275 - Emma Eliza Toy 1944 and John Edward Toy 1950

Hi Polly,

Section L (Publics) are those behind the War memorial, with Section L Privates the other side of the grass 'path'.
Probably my memory going - even more! The ones I'm thinking of are on Chamberlains section right near the curved path where the Vaults meet the Catacombs.

Brian

Those I mentioned are too far back and too much towards the metro - I think my memory is going too - I couldn't think where L was.

Back