• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Toy car shop Walford Rd Sparkbrook

tali

master brummie
I recall it from mid 70s -it was a small shop selling Matchbox, Lesney toy cars and practical jokes.It was on Walford Rd Sparkbrook , in a block of shops near the Royal Mail sorting office (which is still there)
Does anyone know name or do a directory look up ?

In the times you are talking about all I can remember in the few shops that were set back before the road were a chippy a cafe and a curry house the curry house was called The Golden Curry it wasn't a bad meal and was pretty cheap. If the shop was one of the new ones near the corner of Stratford Rd then It might have been Waynwright's a fancy goods dealer.

I remember the shop. It was next door to a wines and spirits shop on the left as you went down Walford Road from Stratford Road and before you came to the Embassy Roller Skating Rink. Afraid i mcan't remember the name of the shop. There was also a snooker hall a couple of doors away from it.

I lived on Osborn Road until 1965

trawlings,

Wouldn't that be on the opposite side of the road to the side that tali indicated?

Phil,
Yes it seems trawlings is on wrong side of road!
I loved that shop -even though it was very dark inside!

Back