• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tolley - bargees

ragga

master brummie
My Mother in law was a boat lady she gave up
the canals in 1957 , shes still alive thank god :) she is coming 89 in May .
ragga :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry KMT..... 4 taking long to get back to you , Ive spent most of
today in my local pub :rolleyes: anyway my Mother in law name is
Violet Tolley and was married to a Arthur Tolley who sadly died
in 2005 , I would be very interested if you can find anything
about them . if not I could in return.
ragga :)

hi ragga do you have any info date of birth, where he was born, his wifes name etc i have looked on the census and found a few but without any info i can't help

kmt:)

I dint know any of my family history as both mum and dad were orphaned, however I recently discovered that my mum comes from a long line of bargees, the strange thing is that my job is fitting out narrowboats, how strange.So now I am trying to fid out as much info as possible, If anybody could give assistance to info on SOLOMON TOLLEY on a boat called Solomon Tolley at bridge street lock on 181 census , also his brother william tolley is somewhere on the boats .I suspect that William was the oner and solomon was working a boat for him. The reason is that on the 1871 census both brothers are on a boat called the Massons Square at aretrea in stoke and william is boss of the boat.
Forgot to say that I also tried the website but cant get the photos.
kind regards
rockscapes

Back