• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tobacconist Ladywood

RobertS

master brummie
Hello Folks

This is a really long shot. There was a Tobacconist with the name Vern, I assume short for Vernon. This could be a first or second name who has a shop for a fair time up to when he died in the mid to late 1930's.

He must have been reasonably well heeled as he travelled abroad on holiday to europe in his own car, apparently with a revolver under the seat just in case!

I have searched and searched, but wonder if there is an expert or a former Ladywoodian who might have a sliver of information.

Many Thanks

Just a guess, but , from 1932 Kellys trades section under tobacconist:
Froggatt Vernon, 187 Icknield st
Mike

From Electoral Rolls
1935 at 187 Icknield Street
Vernon Froggatt and Lily Froggatt
1939 at 24 Hickman Road
Vernon Froggatt and Lily Froggatt
1945,1950 and 1955 at 24 Hickman Road
Lily Froggatt,Cyril Sheldon and Grace Sheldon

Thanks Ladylinda

After mikejee good start I have been working at it and then your post comes in. You leapfrogged straight over, wonderful result.

Very kind of you, thanks very very much.

Births Dec 1880
Vernon FROGGATT Ecclesall B. 9c 372
Deaths Mar 1942
Vernon Froggatt aged 61 Birmingham 6d 782

Thanks ladylinda

this is the man, many thanks.

I have him in 1901 in Liverpool, still with his family but dont have access to 1911 or anything beyond up to the 1935 directory mikejee found.

Many thanks again

In the 1911 census,he is boarding with the Hill family at 3 Portsea Road Hillsborough Sheffield.His age is given as 28 and he is single,his occupation is shop assistant.

Thanks again,

I go off to bed and you keep at it! The 'gap' is narrowing with those 1911 results. Thank you.

Back