• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tidmarsh's of Aston

Tidmarsh

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember any of the Tidmarsh family that used to live in Aston. My father was born Cyril Tidmarsh on Park Lane in 1921 and left at about 18 years to join the RAF at the start of WWII. He had a half sister Annie, and two sisters Beatrice, born 1914 and Edna, born 1923.

His father, my grandfather, was a Henry Tidmarsh, and I'm sure he ran a café cum boarding house in the Balsall Heath area during the war. When I was a child I was told tales about my father going around the Aston Villa football ground selling toffee apples and the like that Henry had made. This must have been before the war.

The reason I'm asking about the family; my father didn't communicate much with his family, and because he changed his name, we consequently know very little about them. I am particularly interested in any surviving children, or grandchildren of his sisters, as they would be our cousins, and would have interesting knowledge of the families.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

probably not the same tidmarsh family but the right area so it is possible..dads best friend was a dennis tidmarsh..he was dads best man at his wedding in 1950 at st georges church newtown..i have a photo of dennis at the wedding and also one of him sitting on his motorbike in 1951...dennis was also my godfather...if you could link dennis to your family i would happily share the photos with you..

lyn

Last edited:
probably not the same tidmarsh family but the right area so it is possible..dads best friend was a dennis tidmarsh..he was dads best man at his wedding in 1950 at st georges church newtown..i have a photo of dennis at the wedding and also one of him sitting on his motorbike in 1951...dennis was also my godfather...if you could link dennis to your family i would happily share the photos with you..

lyn

Hi, Thank you for your reply.
I'm afraid I don't know of a Dennis Tidmarsh, but if he was of the same age it's possible they went to school together, or knew each other. I have a tantalizing letter from Dads sister Edna, written in 1999 to my mother. In it she tried to describe dads life in Aston. She wrote the name of the school that dad went to, but due to her old age, shaky hand etc. it's impossible to work out what the school name was she had written. My guess is that it would be St. Francis, or similar. We're not sure whether Edna is still alive. She lived in Gateshead, Durham.

Can you think of anyone who would have known associates of Dennis? Perhaps they know something. Also, do you know of any schools in the Park Lane area that would have been there in the 1920's?

Much appreciation and thank you.

Colin Nantais

Could th school be St Matthias?

Hi Mike,

No, I don't think so, but I've just taken another look at the letter and in Edna says that from there they both went on to separate schools, but BOTH on Summer Lane in Balsall(1 "L" or 2?) Heath.

Another guess on the unreadable school name is " St luracies?

Any more thoughts on that anyone ?

Thank you for your interest.

Colin Nantais.

Hello,

As you mention that you had a letter from your aunt I assume that you know her married name and was it Quinn? I did see a marriage for an Edna Tidmarsh to a John J Quinn in 1944 but because it was in Gateshead didn't mention it.

If it is her it looks like they had at least 6 children between 46 and 62 all registered in Gateshead.

Hi
When i worked in the city centre in the60s a young lad named Ivan Tidmarsh worked for me. He lived in Aston

Hello,

As you mention that you had a letter from your aunt I assume that you know her married name and was it Quinn? I did see a marriage for an Edna Tidmarsh to a John J Quinn in 1944 but because it was in Gateshead didn't mention it.

If it is her it looks like they had at least 6 children between 46 and 62 all registered in Gateshead.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi and thanks for replying.
You are quite right. Edna did indeed move to Gateshead. I have actually found four children from Edna and John Quinn. I'm new to this stuff so am wary of saying anything with certainty, but am sure I found Mary E, born 1946; Sheila, born 1948, Edna, born 1956, and John, born 1961.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction to find the others two. This is good news, as it surely means I have cousins from my fathers side who are still living. Finding them, of course is another matter!

Much appreciation.

Colin Nantais.

Hi
When i worked in the city centre in the60s a young lad named Ivan Tidmarsh worked for me. He lived in Aston

Hi, thanks for replying.

Sound like the lad you knew would have known a good few of the Tidmarsh's in Aston. Any chance you can dig up names or addresses linked to him?

Cheers

Colin Nantais

The other 2 were Jaqueline b1950 and William b1952 both found on freebmd. Without corroboration you can't be 100% certain they're related but it seems likely.

The other 2 were Jaqueline b1950 and William b1952 both found on freebmd. Without corroboration you can't be 100% certain they're related but it seems likely.

--------------------------

Thank you for that. Yes, it seems very likely, I just found them on the free BMD

Colin Nantais

Two of my grandfathers brothers married the Tidmarsh twins Rose & Ethel (born 1920) in Aston. I wonder if they knew who was who. :)

Back