• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thompson Rose Marie Ledsam Street

Hello there

I am searching for my grandmother Rose Marie Thompson (maiden name) who was registered at living at 185 Ledsam Street in 1953 when she gave birth to my father - Michael.

On the birth certificate it mentions that she is registered as living at a curtain ring manufacturer in ledsam street.

Wondering if anyone knew a rose Marie thompson who lived in ledsam street in the 50s?!

any help / pictures would be amazing!

Hello there

I am searching for my grandmother Rose Marie Thompson (maiden name) who was registered at living at 185 Ledsam Street in 1953 when she gave birth to my father - Michael.

On the birth certificate it mentions that she is registered as living at a curtain ring manufacturer in ledsam street.

Wondering if anyone knew a rose Marie thompson who lived in ledsam street in the 50s?!

any help / pictures would be amazing!

There's a little info and a couple of photos here...

There are no births for a Rose M Thompson registered Bham, nearest are Smethwick (1934) & Wolverhampton (1928). There is a marriage registered in Bham 1958 to a Raymond Sheward. No way to know if they are relevant.

Neither does she appear on the Birmingham Electoral Rolls on Ancestry as Rose Marie Sheward, nor could I find the birth of a Michael Thompson in Birmingham in 1953, though if he was adopted if could well have been withdrawn from the public domain or have been registered with the surname of the biological father. Not exactly a rare surname and perhaps we don't know the full circumstances. Maybe the Smethwick connection is someone else entirely.

Maurice :cool:

On the 1955 e roll there is no 185 Ledsam Street. Perhaps the property was empty by then?
In 1950 the entry was
1616688352490.png
Intervening years are not on Ancestry so I can't check 1953 for you.

Last edited:
MWS,

I didn't go as far out as Meriden and only checked the 1950s on e-rolls. Until the OP provides a little more detail from Michael's birth cert., we're probably stuck there.

Maurice :cool:

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Does the birth certificate say the baby was born in Ledsam street , the Meriden entry is a possibility because she could have given birth at Marston Green maternity hospital or St josephs in Coleshill which had a maternity hospital for unmarried mothers , being born in either of these meant being registered Meriden, The registrar used to come to MG to register babies born there.

Last edited:
Back