• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Palmer, Carriage Lamp Maker

Topsy

master brummie
My gt, gt, Thomas Palmer was listed in the 1861 & 1871 census as being a carriage lamp maker.
In the 1871 census it has him as a Master carriage lamp maker Employing 5 men, 4 boys, 3girls. The address was Bull St, Kings Norton, I don't know if this is the home or business address.
Would it be possible for someone to check this out for me.

no Palmer is listed in the commercial section of the 1870 kellys for kings norton. That, of course is not proof for 1871 .

Thanks Mikejee,
Thats why I wondered if it was the home address as the family members are listed, No employee names, so the business had to be somewhere else.

Kelly's 1872 T Palmer Bull street Harbourne which was in Staffordshire at this time and this was a private address

Topsy
Whites directory 1873, 2 entries:

Palmer Thos. manfr. (P. & Hughes) ; h Bull st. Harb
Palmer and Hughes, manufacturers of railway and carriage lamps, 15 Gough street

Gough st still there between Holloway head and Mailbox.

Mike

Thank You so much Mike & John, that's another small piece to my puzzle found.
As there is no 1881 census where would I look for the following years? I checked the 1901 census and he's not in it, any suggestions.

Topsy
What do you mean by there not being a 1881 census?. i tried to follow up in the 1881 but got too many thomas palmers.Tried to go back to 1871 for further details and ancestry seems to be doing its usual trick of not finding him, only one i could find in kings norton was a lodger !
mike

Hi Mike, Now who's red faced, well I couldn't let you go it alone ha ha. You know what it's like somedays, what your looking for is right in front of your face and you can't see it. I did go back to the 1881 census and found him at 121 Bath Row age 50, he isn't in 1991 so must have passed away. I agee with you on ancestry, frustrating at times you find something go back later to recheck and it's gone.
Thanks for all your help
Hilary

Back