• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Hanks

john bev

master brummie
Could some kind person please help me .I have the wedding certificate of my grandfather Thomas Hanks to Lily maud Tustin at St Bartholomews Church Birmingham in 1902 He was aged 21, could there be a reason why i can not find him in the 1901 Census his address at the time of marriage was Coleshill st Birmingham. He was born 6th Sept 1880 in Dodford Bromsgrove. Any advice would be appreciated all the best John

Hi John. There is a Thomas Hanks aged 20 living at home with his mother and father, George and Maria, in 1901, at 4 house 40 Court, Summer Lane. Thomas is a Gold Jeweller -might this be him? Judy

Hi Judy Thomas's father was Joseph a glass blower 'thanks for looking John Thomas's marriage certificate said he was a stamper

Last edited:
A Glass Stamper was a person who poured glass into moulds :)

If that helps it was still the Glass Industry.

One of my Family was a Cordwainer on one Censes on another a Shoemaker they are both the same.

Last edited:
John - I made a mistake on the information I sent from the 1901 census. The names were indeed Joseph and Maria, not George and Maria, so I think this is your Thomas. This is the 1901 census entry

4 house x 40 Court, Summer Lane (3 rooms)

Joseph Hanks, head, m, 55, Ironfounders Labourer, b. Birmingham
Maria Hanks, wife, m, 54, Hard Solderer Military Ornaments, b. Birmngham
Thomas, son, s, 20, Gold Jeweller, b. Birmingham
Amelia, dtr, s, 16, Solderer Brass Military, b. Birmingham
Maud Gibbons, granddaughter, 8, b. Birmingham

Judy

Hi Judy Thank you for your Hard work.,but unfortunatly this is not him.I can trace him in the 1891 census living with Joseph and Catherine Hanks and several siblings the family moved from Bromsgrove in about 1885 he was born 6th sept 1880 St John's st .Bromsgrove .I have his birth certificate showing his father and mother .He is not in the 1881 census which is strange He then appears in the 1991 census Members:NameAgeCatherine Hanko36 John Hanko6 Joseph Hanko34 Joseph Hanko8 Kate Hanko1 Mary Hanko12 Richart Hanko4 Thomas Hanko10 Buy then is not in the 1901 census in 1902 he marries my grandmother .My information is from the ancestry.co.uk site there is a miss spelling in the name but the original 1891 record clearly says Hanks not Hanko.Thanks again John

I had found the 1891 of the family and 1901 without Thomas but what is interesting is that on the 1881 there is a daughter Florence age 7 months and having searched the records there is no sign of her birth.
I think it is Thomas and the enumerator has misheard as Florence because it fits his age perfectly,(searched the original and it says Florence but mistakes like this happen on censii all too often.).
Thomas Hanks Sept 1880 to JosephHanks/Catherine Mealley who married in Bromsgrove 1877.

Dwelling: Warbage Lane Or Alfreds Well
Census Place: Bromsgrove, Worcester, England

Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Joseph HANKS M 23 M Bromsgrove, Worcester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Glass Blower
Catherine HANKS M 23 F Bromsgrove, Worcester, England
Rel: Wife
Mary HANKS 2 F Bromsgrove, Worcester, England
Rel: Daur
Florence HANKS 7 m F Bromsgrove, Worcester, England
Rel: Daur

Hi Alberta thank you for your help I have wondered if Florence was Thomas in the 1881 census as i too could find no record of her Birth or a death in the records .It's a mystery where the other census records are,maybe simple spelling errors or mispronounced names are at fault.Thanks again. Your help is most appreciated .John

Hello John,
you may already Know that Alfreds Well near Dodford Bromsgrove was an area where glass was made. There is a house there today I beleive is called the blowing house.

I have a distant relative from Dodford called Louisa Tustin she married into our family.

Cheers Trevor

Hi John and everyone trying to help ( John is my Cousin) Lily Maude Tustin is our Grand mother married to Thomas Patrick Hanks. Just found this particular item. Good luck
danimac

Back