• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thomas Bird and Jane Jones

Pick

proper brummie kid
Hello,
I am trying to find out the occupation of Thomas Bird who married Jane Jones at St. Martins on 24th Jan 1826. I have found a Thomas and Jane on the 1841 and 51 census and his occupation was "bone cutter".
If the marriage record states that, then I hopefully, will have found who I'm looking for!!
Many thanks
Pick

Hello Pick and welcome to the forum. Sadly on marriages before 1837 no occupations are listed the only extra info were witnesses who were Charles Wood and Mary Ann Capewell? I am not 100% on the name Capewell as it is difficult to read.
I have however found a christening record at St Martins on 16th April 1827 Eliza Bird parents Thomas and Jane occupation Bone Button Maker abode Rupert Street.:)

hi pick, unfortunately there were no occupations listed until 1837.

the details on the record are that they were bachelor and spinster and both of this parish. charles wood and mary anne capewell were the witnesses. thats it im afraid.

however i have found baptisms for this couples children.

16 apr 1827 baptism of eliza daughter of thomas and jane bird. russell street. bone button maker
13 oct 1828 baptism of ann daughter of thomas and jane bird born 11 sep 1828 . cliveland street. bone button maker
28 dec1830 baptism of george son of thomas and jane bird born 25 sep 1830. cliveland street. bone sawyer
26 aug 1833 baptism of henry son of JOSEPH AND MARY BIRD born 15 nov 1830 . cliveland street. bone sawyer
26 aug 1833 baptism of joseph son of JOSEPH AND MARY BIRD born 26 jun 1833 . cliveland street. bone sawyer
26 aug 1833 baptism of maria daughter of thomas and jane bird born 29 nov 1832 . cliveland street. bone sawyer
14 aug 1837 baptism of thomas son of thomas and jane bird born 22 jul 1837. hanley street. bone sawyer
11 jun 1838 baptism of reuben son of WILLIAM AND JANE BIRD born 9 sep 1836 cliveland street. bone sawyer
31 dec 1839 baptism of emily daughter of thomas and jane bird born 15 oct 1839. handley street. bone sawyer
12 jun 1840 baptism of caroline daughter of JOSEPH AND MARY BIRD born 28 mar 1824. brickkiln street. bone turner
12 jun 1840 baptism of sarah daughter of JOSEPH AND MARY BIRD born 19 mar 1826. brickkiln street. bone turner
12 jun 1840 baptism of mary daughter of JOSEPH AND MARY BIRD born 23 sep 1828 brickkiln street. bone turner.

as you can see i have included other couples who may well be related

there were also these burials of children of thomas and jane bird at st. martins. there may be others i have missed

19.9.1831 george bird. cliveland st. 1 yr
18.4.1833 thomas bird. cliveland st. 4mths
14.9.1834 maria bird . cliveland st. 1yr 9mths
16.2.1835 thomas bird. cliveland st. 3mths
24.7.1836 thomas bird. cliveland st. 5 weeks
16.9.1838 thomas bird. hanley st. 1yr 2mths

1.11.1846 sarah bird. cliveland st. 4 1/2 yrs. (this one has no parents names)

and there was this burial too. betsy bird buried 20.12.1837 brickiln street. 21yrs.

Thanks Wendy! This is the first time I've done this and I didn't expect such speedy results. That is so helpful and I'm sure it's them.
Much appreciated!
Pick

Thanks you Shera - the replies from you and from Wendy are so helpful and I'm sure I have the right family of Birds -and possibly relatives too. I was looking for a Joseph Bird who was a gun engraver, and there is a birth for a Joseph there.
I hope I can help someone through the forum one day!
Pick

Hi, is anyone able to look up a marriage for me? It was between an Ann Bird and Thomas Rhodes in Birmingham in 1850. I am trying to find out if the Ann Bird was the daughter of Thomas Bird and Jane Jones.
Many thanks
Pick

Hi Pick, I had a quick look on St. Martin's disc for you but no luck with Bird and Rhodes for that year. Have you checked on Familysearch for the date and Church? I will have another look when visitors have gone!
My "Roads" came from Buckinghamshire and have several different spellings.
rosie.

Hi again, Visitors haven't arrived yet! Familysearch says it's St. Philip's, 24th June 1850, so no probably no information is available until the New Library opens in September. At least you know now where to look!
rosie.

Just got back and found your messages Rosie. Thank you so much for trying anyway -I had heard about the new library and information centre and hope to make a trip down there when it opens.
Pick

Back