• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Things you said when you was a kid

Although I played on Bombpecks in Aston and there were a lot, I have been unable to find any reference to it anywhere other than in Birmingham.

Bob-howlers - big flies
Moggy - cat
You tripe hounds - if we were naughty
Back of Bill's mothers - if it was going dark in the sky
Stop mithering me - if we were getting on our parents nerves
Any road up - anyway

I OWE MY MOTHER

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION .
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL .
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My mother taught me LOGIC .
"Because I said so! That's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the shop with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT .
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My mother taught me IRONY
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
"Shut your mouth and eat your tea."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM .
"Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA .
"You'll sit there until all those broad beans are gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER .
"This room of yours looks as if a cyclone went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY .
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE .
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION .
"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY .
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION .
"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING .
"You are going to get it when you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE .
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP .
"Put your jumper on; do you think I don't know when you are cold?"

20. My mother taught me HUMOUR .
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."

I OWE MY MOTHER

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION .
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL .
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My mother taught me LOGIC .
"Because I said so! That's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the shop with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT .
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My mother taught me IRONY
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
"Shut your mouth and eat your tea."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM .
"Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA .
"You'll sit there until all those broad beans are gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER .
"This room of yours looks as if a cyclone went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY .
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE .
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION .
"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY .
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION .
"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING .
"You are going to get it when you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE .
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP .
"Put your jumper on; do you think I don't know when you are cold?"

20. My mother taught me HUMOUR .
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."
All i can say is thank god for mothers

That's simply brilliant Leonard. Absolutely brilliant. I hesitate to add this one to the mix, but it is a genuine saying from my Nan who was born 1886 and died aged 102. She would never mention the word Sex in all the years I knew her; if she had to she would say SEK, as if the real word was a complete anathema. I mention this because one of her favourite sayings if asked how I'd behaved as a nipper for instance - "He's been a bugger up the back all day" . Now I know this may sound horrendous in today's politically correct madhouse, but I'm convinced she no more understood precisely what she had said than her understanding the minutiae of Quantum Mechanics. It was just a common phrase to her - along with all the old favourites mentioned here before. Anyone else ever heard it?

Den

there were bomb pecks where i lived in ladywood in litle garbett street they were our playgrounds oh for the simplicity of it all

Why did Moms and dads always whant to give us things
"Mom I'm tired" ..........reply.........."I'll give you tired if you don't.............."
"Mom I'm Hungry"......................"I'll give you Hungry if you don't................."

Leonardjob. I think My mother and your mother went to the same school - I remember mom used all the sayings in your list - it was great by the way. Miriam.

Although I played on Bombpecks in Aston and there were a lot, I have been unable to find any reference to it anywhere other than in Birmingham.

We called them Bombuildings.
I thought it was another name for a play area till I was about 12, never even ocurred to me how they got to be there. didnt hear the term Bombpeck till years later.

I think up north a peck is slang for a recreation ground or something like that.

Why did Moms and dads always whant to give us things
"Mom I'm tired" ..........reply.........."I'll give you tired if you don't.............."
"Mom I'm Hungry"......................"I'll give you Hungry if you don't................."
Now this i remember so well,and my dad used to say,i'll give you all the bikes your looking for,or whatever you had asked for

That's simply brilliant Leonard. Absolutely brilliant. I hesitate to add this one to the mix, but it is a genuine saying from my Nan who was born 1886 and died aged 102. She would never mention the word Sex in all the years I knew her; if she had to she would say SEK, as if the real word was a complete anathema. I mention this because one of her favourite sayings if asked how I'd behaved as a nipper for instance - "He's been a bugger up the back all day" . Now I know this may sound horrendous in today's politically correct madhouse, but I'm convinced she no more understood precisely what she had said than her understanding the minutiae of Quantum Mechanics. It was just a common phrase to her - along with all the old favourites mentioned here before. Anyone else ever heard it?

Den

It's a terrible shame that the word 'bugger' is now seen as overtly sexual.....everyone, high or low, used it in one form or another. Apparently it was once quite a favourite of the Queen Mother! I can remember it being regarded as a very mild form of swearing, less so even than saying 'bloody' or 'damn'. I still say 'bugger-it' when I've had enough of something. I sometimes think naivety is to be preferred.

I have no idea Maggs, i think by the look of it maybe it was made as a commemorative thing or something

It's a terrible shame that the word 'bugger' is now seen as overtly sexual.....everyone, high or low, used it in one form or another. Apparently it was once quite a favourite of the Queen Mother! I can remember it being regarded as a very mild form of swearing, less so even than saying 'bloody' or 'damn'. I still say 'bugger-it' when I've had enough of something. I sometimes think naivety is to be preferred.

Surely it alwasy was [overtly sexual] just that many of us did not know that?

Buggery was always buggery far as I know, use to carry a life sentence...

Calling somebody a Bugger, seems different somehow. Our mom used the term all the time. She used to call me a little Sod as well.

Dont think for a minute that these words meant the same to her generation. It was just slang to her, and nothing like the language you hear people using in front of their kids these days. My parents didnt swear in front of us, and wouldnt let anybody else either. My old man wouldnt even stand for foul or crude language in front of my mom. Even though she worked in factories with other women most of her life. - Factory girls probably the worst offenders in the world, ask any apprentice whos had to work near them. lol

My Nan 's favourite saying about me to my mom when she came to pick me up was I had been 'a bugger up the back all day'. And she was the most prudish and innocent woman that walked the earth from 1896 - 1998. God bless her. This was the early fifties and late 40's though. She would be mortified if ever she had known what she was saying. It was just a common saying she used from her Small Heath upbringing. We still use it in the family today. So sue us....

No Liz, can't say I remember that chocolate. How old would that pic be?

maggs the picture is only a few months old.

The member we have to thank for that is John Knight
Who made it himself a he is very good at Computer Art he put a few more on the Forum at the time an very good he is too

maggs the picture is only a few months old.

The member we have to thank for that is John Knight
Who made it himself a he is very good at Computer Art he put a few more on the Forum at the time an very good he is too

Where are they Alf i'd like to take a look,

Smashing Alf, the only time I ever had one of these bar's of choc, I was violently sick. Too rich for me I think. They did taste nice though.

So the Brummie bar of choc was a made up one then..very clever.

Smashing Alf, the only time I ever had one of these bar's of choc, I was violently sick. Too rich for me I think. They did taste nice though.

So the Brummie bar of choc was a made up one then..very clever.

Same here maggs I still managed to eat the coloured cream ones though

Back