• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
David,

My brother-in-law had moved to Lucas GKS in 1959 and then we both moved to Dorset in January 1961, so your paths probably never crossed! But thanks for info anyway.

Maurice

Victoria Square c1947 and a lady on the crossing jumps as a car approaches, a milkman pauses as he delivers milk to the Council House, and a bloke on the left turns round to look.
VicSq_1947.jpg
One second later and the car is on the crossing .... it didn't stop ...
Image2.jpg
Christmas holiday fun .... with Win 10 .... only editing was brightness, contrast, and sharpness.

Last edited:
Noticed those WW2 roofs, no unusual buses appear to be there, but is it an optical illusion that the one turning at the bottom left appears to have no blue band under the top deck. By the way those old cars used to have dodgy brakes. Happy New Year to you all from Dubai, daily temp 26, night 15. It is warm, but who cares

Bob

Two seconds later she was ok but still in a hurry. The car has an additional plate above it's standard number plate and the buses haven't moved much.
Image3.jpg

In 1957 a Birmingham Mail photographer climbed down into the hole left by the demolition of the Theatre Royal and photographed a small crowd looking in. I suppose it shows typical clothing worn by Brummies for city centre shopping in those days and all their clothes would have been made in Britain.

Phil
perhaps they were looking down at this and thinking it must have been a high tide last night.

City New Street Theatre Royal Demolition 1957.jpg

Indeed great pictures. I thought the memorial hall, the dates are right, but it is on the left hand side of the road. Good connection to Brum, as it was built by the Muntz family who lived in Umberslade Hall in Hockley Heath. The same family as connected with Selly Park. I worked at Umberslade Hall 1958-1962 when it was the R&D centre for Wilmot Breeden.
Hi devonjim. My Dad (Arnold Abrams) worked in Research and Development (mechanisms) at Wilmot Breeden from 1951 to 1967 at Amington Road and then Umberslade - appointed as Chief Development Engineer in 1961. Do you by any chance remember him - Arnold Abrams? He’s now 91!!

Indeed great pictures. I thought the memorial hall, the dates are right, but it is on the left hand side of the road. Good connection to Brum, as it was built by the Muntz family who lived in Umberslade Hall in Hockley Heath. The same family as connected with Selly Park. I worked at Umberslade Hall 1958-1962 when it was the R&D centre for Wilmot Breeden.

Hi devonjim. My Dad (Arnold Abrams) worked in Research and Development (mechanisms) at Wilmot Breeden from 1951 to 1967 at Amington Road and then Umberslade - appointed as Chief Development Engineer in 1961. Do you by any chance remember him - Arnold Abrams? He’s now 91!!
I certainly remember your fathers name from my time at Umberslade. I was a chemy lab apprentice at that time! I worked for Sid Cashmore who in turn reported to Mr U Marks. There's an Umberslade contemporary of mine on this site (Oldbrummie) who worked in the engineering section. We are both in our very late 70's.

I certainly remember your fathers name from my time at Umberslade. I was a chemy lab apprentice at that time! I worked for Sid Cashmore who in turn reported to Mr U Marks. There's an Umberslade contemporary of mine on this site (Oldbrummie) who worked in the engineering section. We are both in our very late 70's.
Thanks so much for this! I think my dad mentioned someone with the surname Marks. I’ll make contact with him. Can I ask for your surname too please?

smashing idea for a thread phil....this one has to be one of my favourites...taken more or less opposite my house in villa st....this lady had seen the photographer and it looks like if he comes any closer to her shes going to clatter him with her broom lol..

lyn

prob were the idear nora batty come from

A dustman at work in Alexandra Rd, they carried the rubbish in tin baths on their heads. The dogs look a little excited but they stay on the footpath.
Our dog used to go berserk when dustmen came, he could hear them before they got near to our road.
Most of them have not spotted the camera they are looking in the fountain, wonder why ? No women in the picture, and a close look shows a baby alone on the pavement !
index.php
it could be a charlie chaplin appreciation society, or the mother is having a bath in the fountain

Was the fountain ever used for charity collections? Maybe it was a clearance of coins; possible connected, in one way or another, with WW1?

Two buses neck and neck in Deritend and a mini has spotted a gap but neither bus driver is looking in their rear view mirrors. Early 1980s.
Deritend1981.jpg

On a hot summer's day in 1976 and wearing those high wedge heels she stood in at short notice for the usual crossing lady on Harborne Park Road. It all seemed to get a bit hectic with the driver of that mini tooting the horn, a fast approaching bus, and a schoolboy dashing across.
ZHarborneParkRd1976.jpg

It's Corporation St in 1964 and a man is running wearing sunglasses, did he try them on in a shop and then did a 'runner', probably not, because no one is chasing him and he's running towards the law courts ! Maybe he is just 'jogging' but it's a strange place to jog.
index.php
The bus has stopped at the crossing, so he is probably just nipping across the road while he has a chance

Jim, If you'd like to e-mail me on [email protected] I'll fwd a copy of the email I sent Sandi. Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back