• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

In 1934 a small aeroplane flew over Small Heath with the observer leaning out of the open cockpit to photograph the Whitworth Motor Accessories factory with nearby roads also in the view.
Red dot - Lime Grove
Green dot - Tilton Road
Blue dot - Venetia Road
View attachment 161635
image source 'https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/'

In 2020 a Google Earth view shows that 13 bays of the Whitworth factory building still exist as does the school building (minus it's spire) seen in the 1934 view near the corner of Tilton Road and Garrison Lane. The white building next to the school is now used as a mosque. Lime Grove has been replaced by a car park but Venetia Road is still there minus houses. I suppose the folk of 1934 would have been surprised to be told that sometime in the future an 'HMS Forward' would appear in the area.
View attachment 161636

Click and scroll to see HMS Forward .... ;)
Thank you Old Mohawk for posting the old picture of Garrison Lane, we lived at 302 Garrison lane, the row of houses on the right hand side of the picture, I have been looking for years for a picture like this, I notice that the houses that were bombed during the war, three houses up the road from us, are still standing in this photo. The Dump is shown in all its glory, I have tried to explain to people how we had a three dimensional play ground to explore, like our own Smokey Mountain (Manilla), right in our back yard. The dump was probably still in commercial use at the time the photo was taken because it looks fairly neat and not all overgrown with vegetation, and not an industrial dumping site yet.
You wouldn't know if there is a view showing the fronts of Garrison Lane houses? was there a series of these pictures taken at the time.
Cheers, mike Galway, Ireland

Thank you Old Mohawk for posting the old picture of Garrison Lane, we lived at 302 Garrison lane, the row of houses on the right hand side of the picture, I have been looking for years for a picture like this, I notice that the houses that were bombed during the war, three houses up the road from us, are still standing in this photo. The Dump is shown in all its glory, I have tried to explain to people how we had a three dimensional play ground to explore, like our own Smokey Mountain (Manilla), right in our back yard. The dump was probably still in commercial use at the time the photo was taken because it looks fairly neat and not all overgrown with vegetation, and not an industrial dumping site yet.
You wouldn't know if there is a view showing the fronts of Garrison Lane houses? was there a series of these pictures taken at the time.
Cheers, mike Galway, Ireland
There's quite a few pictures in this sequence, I've roughly worked out where No302 would have been and I think this is the nearest I can get, mind you many others are better at manipulating these things!

Attachments

• Screenshot (59).png
    Screenshot (59).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
“The view along Stratford Road from the tower of St Agatha's Church in around 1903 shows the steam tram tracks disappearing towards the Mermaid Public House at the junction with Warwick Road. On the right is the area around Stoney Lane. In the section of Stratford Road beyond the Baptist church built in 1879 on the corner of Palmerston Road is a CBT steam tram and trailer that is approaching the junction at Walford Road on its way to Sparkhill. By this date, Sparkbrook, although still in the Parish of Yardley UDC, was virtually complete as a suburb, with only a few side roads waiting for the construction of the then-normal tunnel-back housing.“

(Commercial postcard)

IMG_0424.jpeg

The 1903 view alongside the revised 1903 OS Map.

IMG_2672.jpeg

The Google 3D view

IMG_2674.jpeg

Hello everyone, here is the latest video of Bham Past & Present that I did, around High St Deritend. Thank you for your help finding the location of some of these photos.

Deritend Past & Present pt 2/3
I think that the old Deritend and Digbeth would have been vastly more interesting than they are at the moment but probably rather risky too!
Thanks for the lovely photos.

Back