• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Theatre, New St

BordesleyExile

master brummie
This is the New Theatre, New St, built 1773-1777. The classical portico was commissioned in 1780. The fire broke out 18.1.1792 but whilst rooms were damaged, the portico survived. In 1794 the theatre reopened.

Thank you for the link, Aidan. The pic came from the British Library. There are only 3 interesting Birm pics on that site, of which I have posted 2. Nevertheless the British Library is a usefull source for those of us also researching other areas of the country.
https://www.bl.uk/

Its a bit out of the usual, isn't it, Lyn? Good to see the buildings either side. How alarming that the people apparently had no fire service to call upon.

The Last Panto at this Theatre was "OLD KING COLE Starring VIC OLIVER.. I remeber there was a segment using Leroy andersons slay ride. It had a gauze with small snow balls on and it lowered slowly

The Following year The first panto at The Hippodrome was Tom Arnold's "Jack and the Beastalk" Stared Beryl Reed... Freddie Frinton (the Famous Drunk act) Ursula Jeans..

Stress....... Panto never played at the Hippodrome before then.... Facts checked...

Hmm Looking sideways... I tell everyone I am 36...

Great memories Mike and a great photo of the original Theatre Royal. I went to see the panto at the Birmingham Hippodrome in 1957 "Jack and the Beanstalk". Always enjoyed the pantos. Only the other day I was trying to remember how many pantos I had seen in Brum so many years ago.

Great memories Mike and a great photo of the original Theatre Royal. I went to see the panto at the Birmingham Hippodrome in 1957 "Jack and the Beanstalk". Always enjoyed the pantos. Only the other day I was trying to remember how many pantos I had seen in Brum so many years ago.

I too loved the Panto's.My dad worked at Land Rover and each Christmas the works took the children to the Hippodrome or the Alexandra to the panto.It was one of the high points of the year.We saw some top stars over the years,Including Norman Wisdom i was a huge fan of his as a child.I still have a few of the programmes.
Keegs.

Back