• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Willows In Moseley

Peter died in 1824. In 1846 (see below) it was occupied by James Haywood (see below ). Am wondering whatb it means by "his lady"- not his wife? He is likely to be a solicitor in Temple Row, but has moved to Carpernters row by 1855. Can find no later mention of the ~Willows, Moseley
Aris birn gaz.6.7.1846.jpg

There was at one time a large house at the junction of Willows Road & Edgbaston Road called The Willows, I suppose back then this could have been part of Moseley.

I've just found this on the 1890 map, I didn't know that Jakeman Road & Willows Road were part of Russell Road then.

willows.JPG

By 1904 the house was no longer the Willows and the top part of the road had become Willows Road!
upload_2017-12-30_22-45-33.png

There was at one time a large house at the junction of Willows Road & Edgbaston Road called The Willows, I suppose back then this could have been part of Moseley.
Russell Road has a B13 (Moseley) post code so that area probably did count as Moseley.

James Haywood , Solicitor, and his wife Cecilia nee Lord,(they married Chepstow 1840) were living in Hagley road in 1851.

Hi, the historical boundary between Warwicks/Edgbaston & Worcs./Moseley was, I think, the River Rea. Willows Road was well into Worcs. However, it could just be possible that it was in Balsall Heath which was also in Worcs - not sure where the historical boundary between the two was. Any thoughts? Although The Willows was described as in Moseley, I suspect that even in those days Moseley was a more desirable address than Balsall Heath. Willows Road is now B12.

Modern (eg. ward) boundaries often don't follow historical boundaries - the cause of a lot of confusion. Moseley (the place) & Moseley (the ward) are no longer the same. Ward boundaries just about to be revised again...................

This 1950-60 map shows the boundary line (in blue) running down Edgbaston Road as has been stated as far as the River Rea. The boundary follows the road on the Cannon Hill Park side putting "The Willows" in Balsall Heath, but as also stated even back then I have no doubt living in Moseley would have been more desirous. Not unlike recent years when unsavoury parts of Edgbaston were often reported in error as being in Balsall Heath.

Moseley.jpg

Last edited:
Back