• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The White Horse Cellars - Constitution Hill

wessex

master brummie
The White Horse Cellars - Constitution Hill

A pub I'm very fond of,but surprisingly know little about.
My great uncle founded the tyre firm over the road.I grew up with both parents working there,or close by.In fact I worked near there part time from 77-83.I visited it on a number of occasions,the last being an evening in 89,it was dead,probally not 5 people in the whole place.
I've included a side/front view.

Attachments

• Hockley White Horse Cellars.jpg
    Hockley White Horse Cellars.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Hockley Constitution Hill White Horse Cellars.jpg
    Hockley Constitution Hill White Horse Cellars.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be the "local" for a lot of people who worked at Linreads & we always drank there after working Saturda mornins & then going off to play for Linreads. A couple called Jim & Mary ran it & Jim had an old Taxi, lovely people lovely memories.

Enjoyed many drinks before and after shifts whilst working at Linreads at this pub until the company relocated, Friday night "lock ins" were a bonus !!

Thanks Lyn., that's me off to SpecSavers tomorrow then! In my defence (well, someone has to) it WAS a glance as we were driving past.

my son is off to spec savers tomorrow charlie i could ask him to book you in if you like lol...seriously though the white horse really does seem to always look closed even though its not

lyn

Used to be the "local" for a lot of people who worked at Linreads & we always drank there after working Saturda mornins & then going off to play for Linreads. A couple called Jim & Mary ran it & Jim had an old Taxi, lovely people lovely memories.
I remember those days with Jim & Mary Twigg. They had a full sized hunting poodle named Brandy. My best mate had a thing about Mary so we spent lot of my time in there when we were [supposed to be] working for Canning's Engineering. I remember him bringing a bull fight poster back from our first visit to Spain just for her. (How about that for romantic?) :02.47-tranquillity: I must add that, as far as I'm aware, Mary never reciprocated any similar feelings. I also recall the jazz nights upstairs that were ended after a visit by the Drugs Squad - miserable lot! :sour:

One memorable night I recall was we were going on to a party at somebody's house where there wasn't enough glasses. To help out (or maybe just to get rid of us) Jim lent us some on the promise to bring them back the next day. Half cut already, we had nearly achieved our target near Hockley Brook when some jobsworth coppers stopped us, wanting to know where we'd stolen the glasses from. Treating our explanation with scepticism, they insisted on marching us all the way back and knocking Jim and Mary out of bed to confirm the story. What I found particularly aggrovating was their insistence that even one of our posse, on crutches from a motorcycle accident, was forced to walk with us!

If I remember correctly, the owner of the tyre place on the other corner lived on Millfield Road, not far away from my in-laws in Handsworth Wood.

If I remember correctly, the owner of the tyre place on the other corner lived on Millfield Road, not far away from my in-laws in Handsworth Wood.

Yes indeed,Harry Botterill,my great uncle.Died 1967,his wife survived until the '90s.

Back