• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Western Front & Gallipoli

Nick sent you a PM about your uncle  O0 and sent you info, and map by E-mail

Thanks a lot, have you any pictures of REGINA TRENCH CEMETERY, GRANDCOURT? thank you

I shall be going to the Western Front the end of May so if anyone wants a photo........and I can get one I will

Trevor_Manning_Davies_Edited
Trevor_Manning_Davies_Edited.jpg
Hello Cromwell
I am hoping you can help me again with some information on my Dad's cousin he was an officer most of the information I have is off the CWG's site.

Lieutenant Trevor Arthur Manning Davies, North Midland Div, Ammunition Col Royal Field Artillery
He died 1 July 1916
Gommecourt British Cemetery No 2 Hebuterne

I visited Kew a few years ago looking for information about Trevor. I was a bit green and did not realise officers records were on paper so I was looking in the wrong place. When I eventually realised I orderd the doument waited and just about ploughed through when I ran out of time............soooooo frustraiting. I remember reading the letter the millitary sent to his parents telling them he was lost in action, then another telling them he was dead. Probably one of the most moving letters I have ever read was the reply from his father excepting what had happened, it was so polite. His mother Ada Davies nee Jennings was my gt aunt and never got over her loss. I have recently come into contact with decendents of Trevor's brother who have sent me his obituary and the text of a letter he wrote to his parents in case he didn't return. The family lived at Aragon House Tudor Hill Sutton Coldfield. Thats another piece of research. Later they moved to Llandudno.

Was this the Somme where he died? Do you think he has a grave at Gommecourt?

I have attached his obituary if you can read it. It shows how sad war is, to loose such a brilliant man!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was tragic he died on the first day on the Battle of the Somme.......he does have a grave which I will take a photo for you in May

That is very kind of you Cromwell. I can't thank you enough.

Moma P

Be walking the Somme the weekend so if you want a photo and I can take it...I will

Hi Cromwell,
If you are in the area, a picture of my great uncle Joseph Fellows' grave would be immensely appreciated.
Details: Cemetery: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL
Locality: Pas de Calais
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 6.

Joseph Fellows, age 22
Date of Death: 23/10/1918
Service No: 13271
Awards: MM

Thanks for the offer, Cromwell, and have a great trip, mate

Well Kevin, manage to get you a few photo's as I went past, Its a real nice cemetery as they all are in France (well looked after) If you look straight down the center of photo 2 Fellows is on the 6th panel on the left
If you want the photos in large format I will E-mail them to you as well as a few others I took in the Cemetery

I can't thank you enough, Cromwell; the pictures are grand. The French do keep the cemeteries looking smart, don't they.
Most certainly, when you have a minute, send a couple in an email for me.

Glad your're back home too. Was it an adventure in the Somme as well as a holiday? I am sure you'll have a story or two to tell, in good time.

I am saddened to learn (it has just dawned on me, reading the inscription) that Joseph's body is probably lost--missing, never found.

From your experience with these things, does the inscription portend that Joseph and the other 9,000 plus, were never found, or that they may have been buried in mass graves, or some other, similar sad and unfortunate circumstance?

Again, Cromwell, Thanks!:)

Last edited:
Kevin, A lot of folk don't understand the memorials on the Somme for instants....the Thepvial Memorial to the missing does not contain any Australians or New Zealanders etc as its only British and French ..the others have their own memorials ......
I have stayed at some places.. Rose Cottage, Avril Williams , Bernafray Wood ...etc...as I have been going to the area for the last 15 years the place at Trones View was a Gem .....now I will never stay anywhere else. Great People wonderful accommodation ....and I had such a great time with a wonderful library at my disposal.........
What you say is correct Joseph's body was never recovered but I took a few poppies for him out of the fields and placed them underneath his name, that was the least I could do............
I came across a field of Poppies opposite the Trench of the Devonshire Regiment "We held this trench, and we still hold it" as the graveyard is the trench .............I took a wonderful photo ..which I will post next

We went to the War Cemetery in Oosterbeek, Holland last year.
The Cemetery is near the Airforce Museum and close to Arnhem. There were lots of Dutch schoolchildren (all well behaved) being shown round when we were there, they also (I believe) help to keep the cemetery clean and tidy.

"...Joseph's body was never recovered but I took a few poppies for him out of the fields and placed them underneath his name, that was the least I could do..."

God bless you, Cromwell

Kevin, I had never been to France when the fields had been planted, I always go when the crops are gone and the fields ploughed, so for me this was a first. I have always wanted to see a field of poppies and right opposite the Devonshire Trench were they all got wiped out on the first day on the Battle of the Somme was a field of poppies as far as the eye could see ............so I was quite chuffed.... I took two photo's and here is one of them

Cromwell, I'm just reading Martin Middlebrooks, 'First Day On The Somme' and it quotes the story of 'The Devonshires held this trench The Devonshires hold it still'

Nick, here is a couple of pics I took of the trench were they are buried and a few yards away in the field a unexploded shell still highly dangerous just ploughed up by the farmer

Great photos Cromwell especially of the fields of poppies. Great that you were finally able to see them in all their glory. No wonder the poppy is such an
important symbol of the Great War.
I read that they are still finding remains of soldiers from the Great War in the fields were they fought all those years ago. I believe they found some remains when they were renovating the recently commemorated Memorial at Vimy Ridge. Looks like they are also finding unexploded bombs as well. I bet there are still lots around.
My Uncle William is buried at RUE-DU-BACQUEROT No.1 MILITARY CEMETERY, LAVENTIE. We were lucky enough to have relatives go over on the early l920's and take
a photo of the grave. William is also remembered on my father's family grave at Witton Cemetery. I also have some photos from the web of the cemetery at
Laventie. I am hoping to see the cemetery personally next time I come for a visit.
My brother and I have planned to go.

Jennyann, I was with a bunch of farmers who told me point blank that they find the remains of the soldiers and just plough them back into the soil as it becomes to much trouble to go through the long process of logging the find with the CWWGC as they say their names are already logged on the memorials for the missing so what good would be a thigh bone or skull buried in a grave.....in some way I can see their point of view as I have stood by my fathers friends monuments and just think who they were not what lies beneath the soil as a lot of them were blown to bits...Jennyann if you go over their let me know before hand and I will do some ground work for you............Pete my son found the remains of a soldier in Gallipoli and I found one just outside Bernafray Wood but we notified the CWWGC ...........as it was only right

Moma P don't think I have forgot you as I have not but circumstances dictate events. at Gommercourt I took pics of the grave you wanted and saw a lady crying and wandered over ....she was on a coach party and her memory card was full ..so as it was the same camera I gave her mine and she promised to send me the two pics that was on in ....so I have great faith in human nature and the pics will be on here in about a weeks time.this one is just as I entered the Cemetery and changed cards. I can say my Friend knew the lady....

Hello Cromwell, I don't know how you remember all the people you have promised to take photographs for! That was such a kind gesture for you to give the lady your memory card. I do hope she returns it to you. It is so kind of you and your family to take the time to do this for us, it really is appreciated. Many thanks Wendy (Moma P)

hello cromwell, dont know if you can help my great uncle Major Herbert Whitehouse, is buried in LEBUCQUIERE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION ,grave number I. A. 24. if you had any photos of the cemetry other than on the cwgc site i would be very grateful . i have attached a photo of his original grave havent got a clue where it was taken but it is a nice thing to have . it was taken by his brother my grandfather lt-col philip henry whitehouse. yours rupedenby

Hi rupedenby

I looked at the CWGC information. I see he was a Major and only 23 years old when he was killed.

Regards

Terry

Hi Graham (Cromwell),

Only just saw this thread and your great links and photos!

I was wondering if you have any photos of El Alamein in your collection? My mother, Lily Sheldon, was made a war widow at this battle. https://www.cwgc.org/search/certifica...sualty=4040977 I would like some photos to send to my brothers and sisters; I have copied the one from your first link. Also I can remember the string of war medals that Edwin Webb had, he was a tank driver with Montgomery. My mother had to pawn his medals to buy food for us kids and they are gone! How can I find out just what medals he was awarded? I have, this week, managed to get hold of and save a photo fragment of Edwin Webb; this is all that is left of this war hero.

But more important to me is finding out where and how her dad, my granddad, died in WW1. His name was Joseph Sheldon born 1876 at Oldbury, parents Joseph, 1841, and Jane, 1845, Oldbury. My granddad also had two brothers that I know nothing about, John, 1882 and Samuel, 1888. I think that they too died in WW1. My sisters seem to remember talk of the South Staffs Regiment. The poppy photo is a WW1 obus that comes from Zonnebeke, battle of Passchendaele, where I think one of the three Sheldon brothers died. It normally stands on my desk, but moved it next to the poppy reath for this photo. The poppys in the photo frame were painted by my Flemish wife, Marie-Rose.

Graham (Cadeau)

Last edited:
Graham, I have a lot of material from the time you talk about and my son has just come back from Zonnerbeke ...at this moment in time I am in Italy doing research on Montecassino but the wife logs in and keeps me uptodated with anything of intrest I will repy in full when I get home and all e-mails are passed on

Take care

Hello Cromwell...what a nice gesture....

I have 3 chaps if you could manage it...

Pte. William Henry Green. No. 8624 Worcs Regiment.
KIA 13/03/915
LE TOURET MEMORIAL.

Pte. George Minchin, No.3357. 2nd battallion R. Warwickshire Regt
KIA 03/09/1916
THIEPAL MEMORIAL

Rifleman. Charles Minchin, No. Z/1293. Rifle Brigade. Prince Consorts Own
KIA 15/03/1915
Grave: B28 Dickebusch New Military Cemetary.

Many thanks for this, but I will understand if it is not possible.
Regards,
Margaret.

Hello Cromwell...what a nice gesture....

Margaret.

In this day and age Margaret anything is possible and sometimes I marvel at what I achieve....but it takes a bit of time so please be a little patient with me but I get there in the end ......

Back