• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Welcome Inn, Great Lister Street.

F

freshlylaundered

Hello.

Just wondering if any of you have any info about this public house at around the years 1900-1920, The publicans name was Thomas Littley, the exact address being 272 Gt. Lister Street. Aston.

Does the pub still exist?

thanks for any info about either him or the pub.

Yours,
John Sutton.:)

Hi John

I can tell you very little about the Welcome Inn, other than I believe that it has now gone the way of most of the pubs that used to be on Great Lister St.

Other than that you will need the assistance of one of our resident experts on Great Lister St. Have you seen the Gosta Green through Duddeston thread.

Phil

Last edited:
No, I'm afraid the pub is long gone..the only pub on all of Gt Lister st now is the 'New Inns'..(and thats changed it's name, I can't remember it right now)

'The New Inn's' is now 'The Graduate' Kandy mate... tut tut!

I have a picture of a pub called 'The Welcome Inn' but it says it was in Hockley, so there may have been two with that name.
However if someone else can confirm that there was only one and the heading is a mistake I will post the pic' for you.

Pom

Hop Pole? Lawley street
Thomas Littley 41 gun furniture maker
Emma 39 born Tamworth
Frank 17 unmarried
William 16
albert 12
Edward 9
Thomas 5
Emma 3
Louisa Whale married sister age 28
servant Emma Figures 28

Frank(full name William Frank ) married Annie Maria Pickering in 1893 and she died in 1896.

This is how they are shown in 1881 but if you view the original it is Littley badly written.
Dwelling: 5 Brewery Street
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341724 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3029 Folio 87 Page 3
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Thomas LINLEY M 32 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Gun Implement Maker
Emma LINLEY M 28 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
Frank LINLEY 8 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
William LINLEY 6 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Albert LINLEY 2 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Alice WALKER U 18 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Press Worker

Thomas Littley married Emma Mitchell 1871 Aston 6d 295.

'The New Inn's' is now 'The Graduate' Kandy mate... tut tut!

I have a picture of a pub called 'The Welcome Inn' but it says it was in Hockley, so there may have been two with that name.
However if someone else can confirm that there was only one and the heading is a mistake I will post the pic' for you.

Pom

The Welcome Inn in question, used to be on, or close to the junction of Adams St and Great Lister St.

Phil

The Thomas Littley you are mentioning Alberta is the same one i'm thinking of, In the 1901 census it has him a as a Gun Worker and Publican, with the Address being Gt. Lister St.
I'm just interested in him because he fathered an illegitimate daughter who was one of my relatives, and all we knew of him was that he owned a pub. it would be fantastic if i could find any info about the pub or him, as he has been a mystery for many years.

Thanks for all your help, I'm just amazed there are people out there with so much knowledge of the area and are willing to share it!

John Sutton.

Alberta,
Hope you are still on the forum. We are most likely related though distantly. My Littleys left Birmingham @1869 to settle in Philadelphia, PA, USA. My e-mail is
[email protected]. If you are interested, I can send you a gedcom of my Littley ancestors and relatives.

Mary Ann

There was also a Welcome Tavern at 42 Park Road, and a Welcome Inn at 26 Owen St. Thomas Littley was lsited at Lister St from 1896 to 1921. Wasn't there 1892 or 1932.
Mike

I know I'm a bit late adding to this thread but I've just started my family tree. I think we might be related as my mother's name was Rose (Littley) breakwell and her father was Thomas Littley although her mothers married name was Breakwell, she adopted the surname Breakwell and kept Litlley as her second name. The address on her birth certificate is Back 29 Great Lister Street, Aston. I always thought my mother's name was Breakwell until I started my search. I am also related to the heathcotes and Kirby's as my aunt married Ronald Kirby. I have a family tree containing over 100 relatives and access to other family trees on Genes Reunited containing over 500 names related in some way to the breakwell/littley line, Let me know if you want a copy of my tree, I also have the Andrews family tree on the Heritage web site at https://www.myheritage.com/site-54496551/andrews-web-site (I never knew my mom was illegitemate and she complained when I had to get married !!!
Rob Andrews

Rob,

Yes, I believe we are related. Thomas Littley was a brother to my gt gt gt grandfather, Daniel Littley, who imigrated to the U. S. My e-mail is [email protected]. I will be glad to send you a gedcom of his descendants. Actually, I have quite a bit on all the children of Daniel Littley and Harriet White , their parents in England if you would like that.

Will be out of town until Sunday
Mary Ann

Hi, my great grandfather ran the Welcome Inn on Gt lister St,his name was Thomas Littley, His trade was gun furniture maker as well as a publican, He sounds as if he kept himself very busy, He was there around 1900.

John,

Good to find another Littley relation. From which son of Thomas are you descended. I descend from Thomas' brother Daniel, who immigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann, I am descended from Edwin (my grandfather) son of Thomas of 272 Gt Lister St - the Welcome Inn. This is from info on 1901 census. You have Edwin as Edward???
John

Rob - It looks as thought you are right. My gt grandfather was Thomas Littley (Welcome Inn) and my grandfather was his son Edwin.

Hi John, Thomas Littley was my grandfather so your grandfather was a half brother to my mother as my grandmother was Sarah Breakwell !!! I have a copy of the census for Thomas if you don't have a copy, it relates to you more than to me, so if you want me to email you a copy let me know. Do you have any other info or docs/certs for the Littley line that you could email me and I'll let you have any that I have that I have. I have a couple of birth certs that might help.
Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the note. I have the census for 1901 plus 1861 and 1841. I also have a doc that Mary Ann Littley Bell has sent to me from the USA which gives a lot of detail dating back to John Littley dob 1791 and then onto America of course. I can send to you if you haven't got that. I don't have any birth certs as have only just started so if any are relevant would appreciate a copy of them. Regards John

Ahh, now thats just Brilliant TCWARD, Just what i was after!

Thanks again everyone for your help, I've just got a few mysteries to clean up regarding a Sarah Breakwell (Painter) and what seems to be her long suffering husband George Breakwell. If anyone can shed any light on this poor chap, i'd be over the moon. I'd love to know what happened to him as i can't find anything about his death or if he actually stayed with Sarah......

George Hery Breakwell b.30/08/1869 d.???
Sarah Anne Painter b.31/12/1869 d. 04/06/1940

Thanks again, you're all fantastic!:)

Hi all!
Thanks to Shera, I have discovered that I'm descended from the Littleys (pronounced LITTlee in my family) mentioned in this thread. My maternal grandmother was Emma Littley (b 1900 Birmingham) who married Thomas Childs Spiers. Emma's parents were Albert E Littley (gunworker) and Margaret Knowles. Emma had two sisters: Amy who married Jack Travell and Renee who married Jack Leadbetter. Renee (sp?) doesn't appear in this thread but I remember her as one of my great aunts along with Amy. Family lore had that the Littleys were involved in public houses (as confirmed here), brewing, bookmaking (turf accountants) and property (allegedly Albert owned most of Ludlow Road in Alum Rock which is confirmed by the fact that my Mother and her brother each inherited two houses from Emma there in the 70s). This is my first go at family history. It's facinating isn't it? Until today I never knew that my granddad Tommy Spiers came from Gloucester! All the best to everyone.
Stan.

Hi Stan,
I am descended from the Littley's too. My great grandfather was William Frank Littley (known as Frank), who was one of Thomas Littley's sons, and brother of Albert Littley. William Frank also owned about six houses in Ludlow Road, I think all of Thomas' children inherited quite a bit of money from him when he died, perhaps thats what they used to start the property empire.The Littleys were also involved in gun making.

William Frank married three times, his second wife was called Ada Hughes, she was my great grandmother. I have had real difficulty tracing Ada's parents, does anyone else know anything about them?

Jan

Hi Jan, thought that you might like to know, my grandad, Edwin, "Franks brother". also owned some houses in Alum Rock,I think they were sold in the 60's, I have also now have a copy of Daniel John Littleys (b 1791) marriage certificate, from 29th June 1822, the records are at Birmingham central library, Archives department, It was nice to see the photo of the welcome inn posted by TCW. John L.

Hi John,

It was great to see a picture of the Welcome Inn, I had been looking for a photo for quite some time.

It seems the Littley brother's had quite a property empire in Alum Rock. I hadn't realised this I thought it was just William Frank who had houses there.

Does anyone have any photo's of the Littley's that they would be willing to share?

Jan

Does anyone have any photo's of the Littley's that they would be willing to share?

Jan

Hi Jan,
I've only got this one at present. It's my nan Emma Spiers nee Littley, born 1900, daughter of Albert Littley and Margaret nee Knowles.
The date is 1926 and the man with (unusual lol) cuppa is granddad Tom. The little lad is my late uncle Reg.
Cheers,
Stan

I,m sure these have been seen before but may have been lost when the forum was updated. Dek

Hi all I also am a relation to the Littley family and have been doing my family tree for a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi AL Sharpe what relation to the Littley family are you? My great grandfather was William Frank Littley a gunsmith and my grandad was Harold Percival Littley, who with my Nan Winifred ran a shop in Great Hampton Row.
Best wishes
Jan

Hi AL Sharpe what relation to the Littley family are you? My great grandfather was William Frank Littley a gunsmith and my grandad was Harold Percival Littley, who with my Nan Winifred ran a shop in Great Hampton Row.
Best wishes
Jan

Hi Jan
Thomas Littley was my Great great Grandad.

Back