• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Uncle I never met..............

SuBee

master brummie
Whilst looking for a suitable photograph to take to the framers to display with my Mom's older brothers medals, I came across this Christmas Card.

It was sent  to my Mom and her elder sister Christmas 1940, just before he was sent overseas. My Uncle has been in the RAF for six months, he was 19 when the photo was taken. He died in The Far East aged 22

(Full Story    https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/handsworth_1a.htm)

:angel: Sue what a keep sake... To actually have a hand written card to read and feel the presence of your uncle Arthur through his signature. Both Colin and I like a number of others have family killed in both world wars, however we have no personal effects of these men just our own thoughts of what they may have been like.

R.I.P Arthur. You did what England expected far above and beyond

Chris :angel:

Gt Uncle William (Knocker) Knight 1919 - 1944 was killed whilst in the tank corps. I have a photocopy of the letter from his CO advising his widow of his loss.
Its such a sad read..............

Hi bestcover,,did you know you can get your Uncles details off the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
own web site ? There are printable commemorations that you can remember & honour him by,,, O0

PM details & i would be honoured to research your William for you if you require, Cheers John Y

A lovely card to have Sue. It must mean a lot to you and your mom.

I have a photo of my uncle who died in sad circumstances in 1924, sent by him from America to my Gran. He had written on the back 'If you already have one of these, give it to one of the others.' Just a tiny brownie box photo, but very precious to me.

Sue I can see the family resemblance. What a lovely keepsake. He and others like him were heroes. I agree, Chris, a call beyond the bounds of duty. And we are still answering that call!!!!!

Sue was your uncle in the 605 Hurricane squadron that's what my dad was in - many of the flyers were taken prisoner and killed by the Japanese - Have an artcle should be coming out in the Brummagem in either April or May  Beryl M

Back