• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Trams at Night

O

O.C.

Wonderful sight ....the trams at night ...coming out of the Aston Hippodrome eating ya chips while waiting for a tram to take ya home.
This photo was taken on the Stratford Rd service in 1937 making its last run at 11.32 p.m. to Hall Green
Second photo is of Highgate tram depot 1937

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trams at night wonderful sight but I bet they was even better illuminated and they drawed all their power from the overhead cables
Postcard 1 is a tram decorated for Coronation in 1911
Postcard 2 Silver Jubilee of King George V 1935
last one is for the Royal visit of 1909

Given the time (era) those trams were decorated in- l911, etc. they are so well done and must have been a beautiful sight sailing along the tram lines. So many people wouldn't have had electricity in their homes in the earlier
years l909 and 1911.

Given some of the photos I have seen re decorating for special occasions in the early days of the 19th century in around Brum the displays were so well done and must have given a great deal of plesure to the public.
Just looking at the images of the decorated trams gives you a good feeling. I doubt if we would ever see anything like that now or the sentiments being portrayed in the decoration of the trams . Thanks for posting them Cromwell.

Not only were the trams decorated Jennyann but all the Town Hall and Council House as well ...like you say a Great feat in those days and the kids today marvel at the trams when they go to Blackpool...If only we would have pursued it what a tourist attraction in would have been...
and at the same time exposing the River Rea and have it flowing through the streets at ground level instead of being sunk below ground to the status of a sewer.............

What great pictures as you say, a brilliat tourist attraction. My dad proposed to my Mom on the top deck of a tram, I have never been on one. I have been on the modern ones in Germay and thought they were great quiet and efficient no need to use a car in town there.

Photo shows one of the illuminated trams that ran through the Aston area just after the General Strike of 1926, the Lord Mayor of Birmingham set up a distress fund for the jobless and the ones in financial distress
Ad is 1945

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo 1 is a Permanent Way ‘Scrubber’ car which was used for grinding out the rubbish that went into the tram tracks photo taken in 1939 and notice the size of it…no upper deck it had been previously used as a Illuminated tram
Photo 2 is an illuminated WW2 Victory Tram
Photo 3 is virtually the same livery but and illuminated bus that ran were the trams could not go

Back