• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The stags head briearly st

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi pub goers
do any of you recall the stags head on brierly street
it was on the corner , always busy day or night
always got a good game of darts in there and won afew quid on the card often ,
best wishes astonian ,;;

Astonian

Another pub that I never got round to using, but I think I may remember it. On the corner of Summer Lane wasn't it?

Phil

Attachments

• Hockley Summer Lane Stags Head.jpg
    Hockley Summer Lane Stags Head.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi phil and the other half
many thanks for your replys to my replyi
yes phil you are quite right it was on the corner of the summer lane
and the garage and thanks other half for letting me know thats its still open , it must be about 3 years since i was in there the last two owners are old freinds of mine up till 3 years ago a freind of mine
whom lives in king standing was running it and afew years from him
another freind of mine whom now runs an hotel on the hagley rd
was running it ,bryan ,left the stagg and went to run the kings norton exservice for a while then he went and bought the hotel of the moseley family whom emigrated to south africa ,[ frank was is name ]
the hotel is the grove . He,s making a mint , best wishes astonian ,;;

The Royal George is the one next to Jacksons Garage in Summer Lane and opposite what used to be Greens Service Station.This was taken over by Jamesons taxis mainly for repairing black cabs,the nearest garage to the Stags Head was Newtown Garages which was between Hatchett Street and New John Street West.

Dave

Hi dave i stand corrected
best wishes do you recall the vine down the old summer lane .
No, 83 precise the old jo anna was always playing and the stools out side with there parents all the best astonian ,;;

Hi pub goers
do any of you recall the stags head on brierly street
it was on the corner , always busy day or night
always got a good game of darts in there and won afew quid on the card often ,
best wishes astonian ,;;
Hi you brought back some memories I had my stag night in that pub, worked for a engineering firm Precision Boring next to the school facing that pluming firm? 1961 had a mate that played the piano Joe Furlong was his name, yes great times. Bill

hi bill
yes it was a cracking buzzing pub day or night most nights
of the week and i certainly remember old joe -joe ann man playing
cracking nights an old friend used to run bryan years ago
he then moved into the kings norton social club at coteridge
he made alot of money out of it and he went and bought the grove hotel
on hagley rd i do beleive he is still there
and another old friend of mine with is family bought the stags about five years
this was after bryan my other mate used to live in king standing
he used to be a punter there like us
as mary hopings used to sing bill ;
those were the days my friend we thoight they never end, yeh;
take bill thanks for the memory ,best wishes astonian ;;

great pic of the stags head phil..here is another one...

lyn

Attachments

• Stags-Head-regulars-going-out-on-for-a-trip-a-horse-drawn-brake-around-1890.jpg
    Stags-Head-regulars-going-out-on-for-a-trip-a-horse-drawn-brake-around-1890.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks for them pictures Astonian, I have put most of my young days on CD and now thanks to all of you can now add the place where I had my stag night in 1961..

Thanks for them pictures Astonian, I have put most of my young days on CD and now thanks to all of you can now add the place where I had my stag night in 1961..

Just a quickie, I myself was born in Nechells, Cook street, my father was a bit of a character, I remember as a small lad reading in the evening dispatch one day mysterious explosion in midland pub Nechells it had been my dad trying to light the boiler and he blown all the windows out. My son now is 1/2 owner of that pub.. The Villa Tavern. Bill..

Hi astonian ,
i remeber the stags head very well, we had our wedding do there in the early 60's. In the upstairs room, terry
Hi Terry ,
that puts you in the same age as me ? my do at the stags was 61 married few days later, comming up to 70 now 3 days to go....... Bill

Re: The stags head

Has this photo been on before?

I was told there was 15 pubs on Summer lane. The Write up on this photo says 24. There another job for Astoness:)

oh no here we go again:rolleyes: froth where did you get that pic from...this is going to take some research...when i have time i would love to get to the bottom of it..as for it being newtown or aston rob there has been much debate on this...and i think it all boils down to bounderies being moved. but cant be sure..i think john houghton may be better to answer that question as he has more knoweledge than i do...i myself have always thought it was aston...

lyn:)

Last edited:
froth..been thinking about this...i wonder if its a missprint as 24 pubs seems a lot to me even for summer lane:rolleyes: maybe it should have read 14 and they may have left out the red lion which was demolished early 1920s which makes it the 15 that we know of...just a thought...

froth..been thinking about this...i wonder if its a missprint as 24 pubs seems a lot to me even for summer lane:rolleyes: maybe it should have read 14 and they may have left out the red lion which was demolished early 1920s which makes it the 15 that we know of...just a thought...

24 does seem a lot Lyn.
Believe or or not I was looking at my calender of old pubs and I thought I know that pub for this month. It was that photo of the Stag:)
There is a nice one of the Jewelers Arms on the calender when it was called Goldsmiths and Jewelers arms:)

thanks froth..yep im thinking its a missprint:rolleyes: i posted a pic of the goldsmith and jewellers arms last year or maybe the year before...prob the same one as you have...:)

lyn

Do you think its possible that someone looked at a kellys and took every place that said "beer retailer" as a pub, although many would have been off licenses. I suggest that because I have looked at the 1900 kellys and if you add all the listed pubs, all "beer retailers" a include one that is described as "tobaconist & beer retailer" then i get 24. Of course this would vary a bit with the year.
mike

quite possible mike....i feel sure that at any one given time there was just the 15 actual pubs on the lane:) which reminds me i still havnt re scanned and posted them again..must try and do that later and next time i am at the library i will look for a pic of the the red lion (the one we havnt got)

My brother in-law mentioned today that is Grandfather was knocked down crossing the road, after coming out of the stags head in the 1960's . He was almost sure that he never recovered and died shortly after .

hello lizzy, i vaguely remember one of the old characters in the lane being knocked down, i cant remember his name but i think he had the nickname 'SAUSAGE'. REGARDS PAUL.

Well i don't know what his nickname was amongst he fellow drinkers , but his grand-son said his was known as (Binky) although his real name was George Barnes. The sad side of the story was he refused a lift from some-one and then got knocked down . He left behind a wife and 9 children thank god alot of them had reached adult hood .

Well i don't know what his nickname was amongst he fellow drinkers , but his grand-son said his was known as (Binky) although his real name was George Barnes. The sad side of the story was he refused a lift from some-one and then got knocked down . He left behind a wife and 9 children thank god alot of them had reached adult hood .
hi ya liz , he was known by all as binky barnes, he was my grand dad, my mother was his eldest
daughter, she has just passed away at the age of 97, her funeral is at witton on 8/3/11at 11 am
as a family we had some great times at the stag & great friends, miss them all, best wishes terry

sad to report folks that for the first time ever there is no pub left on summer lane that is open for business..the stag has now closed its doors...the good news is that someone who has connections with the lane and knows the pub well is trying to buy it and do a complete refurb and re open it...

soon as i hear anything i will let you all know..

lyn

since my last post on this pub it has been opened up a couple of times but failed...today i went past it and saw that there were loads of breeze blocks outside and workmen inside so thought i would ask them what was going on and went inside...workmen said the new owner was not about until later on and they did not know what the pub was going to be used as...must admit as i stood looking at it i nearly shed a tear..totally gutted out..back and front bars knocked into one both bars and all fixtures and fittings gone....upper ceiling and upstairs floorboards gone just the joists visible...basically its just a shell inside..i will go back next week and try to find out more as to what it will be turned into...so sad as it must date back to the the middle 1800s and i have spent many a happy hour in there over the years plus this forum has had a couple of cracking meet ups there..it is also a grade 2 listed building but as we all know that does not really count for much these days..having said that i am over the moon that it is not to be demolished as for staying as a pub...i doubt it very much..

lyn

Last edited:
Back