• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The sportsman Small Heath

roger a

master brummie
heres a picture of the sportsman pub by the blues ground.great looking pub

Attachments

• Small Heath Sportsman Garrison Lane Bordesley.jpg
    Small Heath Sportsman Garrison Lane Bordesley.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4
Back in the early 70's my sister lived in Grey Street of which The Sportsman is on the corner. We were going out to a function one night and had decided to pop into the Sportsman while we waited for a taxi.

That day they had just had the chimneys swept. We didn't know this until we got up to leave. The ones who had sat on back bench type seats. their clothes were covered in soot. Luckily (or unluckily) it was my sister and her hubby that suffered most. They were able to nick back up the road and get changed.

Phil

once went to the sportsman one saturday before going the blues had a few pints and was leaving didn,t notice some one was coming in i bumped into the door ended up with a black eye(i wasn,t drunk).lol

Interesting? Its Been 45 years of bl*&^y heart break. But its in the blood (the blue blood). You never know perhaps this season.

First game, Blues 1 v Charlton Athletic 0, League South 1947, attendance 58,000 + or -. Len. Off topic Sorry.

hi guys ;
i hasn,t to dampen your thoughts but my little brain is telling me thats not the one our friend is thinking of i am thinking there was another one but in aston .that one didn,t come under aston .
the one by the bombed out playing fields [ the blues ground ]
i will have to sleep on it tonight and come back to it
but some-think is telling me and its in the aston area ;
best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian Pete was a drayman years ago and he said there was a pub by that name in Aston but it was an Ansells pub and he is racking his brain to think exactly where it is or was. Think you are right Astonian. If he remembers I will post it on the other thread. Bye. Jean.

Worked at the Post Office factory opposite The Sportsman pub 1943 to young to go in 14yrs old don`t think i went in when i was old enough but it is a nice looking pub. Len.

Last edited:
hi jean
the more i am thinking about it i am sure my self it was definately an ansells house bearing in mind compared to the count of
number houses by each brewery ansells had more pubs in those dayscompared tp m.b and akkie.s house
and i had a feeling there was a railway with in its reach
so your pete may have som think because i kept getting a railway feeling to wards it i have got place for a pub in mind
but i have to cross check with inmy mind
i will come back onthis shortly and i know its in aston
and not where the lads have said .
i shall be off to bed in a mow jean ;got to get up early in the morning so i will say good night for now
i should have it in mindby tomorrow
good night jean sleep well god bless astonian;;;

Same to you Astonian. Have given Pete a right puzzle and I am going to phone his partner in crime [on the drays] Kenny Molly in the morning. Pete says if anyone know Kenny will. He's moved to a Park homes site and I have his number at the Button Oak Pub. As my mom used to say sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite. Jean.

hi jean
the more i am thinking about it i am sure my self it was definately an ansells house bearing in mind compared to the count of
number houses by each brewery ansells had more pubs in those dayscompared tp m.b and akkie.s house
and i had a feeling there was a railway with in its reach
so your pete may have som think because i kept getting a railway feeling to wards it i have got place for a pub in mind
but i have to cross check with inmy mind
i will come back onthis shortly and i know its in aston
and not where the lads have said .
i shall be off to bed in a mow jean ;got to get up early in the morning so i will say good night for now
i should have it in mindby tomorrow
good night jean sleep well god bless astonian;;;
Astonian. Type in search "Public Houses" #5 Mossg post. Len.

Last edited:
Len we looked at that one last night but there was another one an Ansells pub that Pete delivered to but have to phone his mate later who has probbably got a better memory than Pete and was on the drays a lot longer. This one was by a Railway club in Aston but he is going back some years. Bye. Jean.

Hi All,

I have got it into my head that there was a Sportsman Pub in Park Lane, Aston on the corner of Potters Hill. However I am probably wrong as someone would surely have remembered it.

I cannot remember a railway club anywhere in Aston.

Old Boy

Hi All,

I have got it into my head that there was a Sportsman Pub in Park Lane, Aston on the corner of Potters Hill. However I am probably wrong as someone would surely have remembered it.

I cannot remember a railway club anywhere in Aston.

Old Boy
That was the Shareholders an Ansells pub.

hi guys
somethink thats the back of my mind is telling me
that used to be the bee hive pub was previously the
sportsman on lichfield rd down by the aston railway station
late thirtys to the late forty,s when it became the bee hive
just after the change of the widdows to the victoria was
that changed to the victoria hotel late fortys to early fifties
and either around that time they changed to the beehive
and a year later the cafe afew yards from the behive changed is name to the beehive cafe
but also at the back of my mind was there was another pub
more or less oppersite the bee hive which i cannot
think of at the moment
the lads and myself when we worked at buttons ltd
in portland st used to go there after work
and it was an ansells pub ,
M,B had no comparison to Ansells pubs they was the real ale and drink brewery i would never had gone into a M,B pub in those days they was rubbish
i think it was the strikes at Ansells That brought them to there knees best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian Pete thinks you have got the right pub now. Did you know he was on the brewing at Ansells before and during the strike? Bit off topic but relevent I think. Pete said thanks Mike for remembering the Park Lane Potters hill. Bye. Jean.

Back