• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Shadows

Great stuff ! The Shadows were The Sound of the Sixties for me. Listening to "Apache" takes me right back to the jukebox in a little pub in Denbigh, '61. I don't think Cliff would've made it without The Shads !

There were stories that the Drifters were getting too popular and Cliff forced the change of name (to the Shadows). It was said that there was a clash with the name of the US band but I get the feeling it was a little to early for that.

Wam, Although not a fan of Cliff I have always liked the Shadows, but your story about the Drifters does not hold true as the Drifters have been around since 1953. Anyway the Shadows continued to use the name The Drifters after splitting with Cliff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3b3xKPgk4I

Back