• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Salutation Inn, Summer Lane/constitution Hill

Big Gee

master brummie
Does anyone have photos of the interior of this classic old pub, especially the upper floor rooms where the Jazz Club was held on Friday evenings? Thanks

G

The Pub is coming down but the melody lingers on...March 1968...

Once again a poor reproduction for the Birmingham post, will try to make it a bit better?

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 21.27.50.png

thanks pedro...didnt realise the sally was 300 years old when it was demolished

Thanks folks! Neither did I realise that The Sally was 300 years old when it was demolished....are we certain of this? As I understood it, one of the reasons for demolition was the seepage of water from the nearby canal. I remember Gerry the gaffer very well, and of course The Artesian Hall Stompers fronted by Danny Pawson of such fond memory. I made a mistake when I described it as being on the corner of Summer Lane and Constitution Hill - should have been Snow Hill, of course.

I remember that to get to the jazz, you had to climb some very steep stairs, and at the top would sit Mr John Minnion, who I think was MC, and very definitely chief money collector. If I recall correctly, unless it was a guest night, it was two bob to get in, but we'd always manage to knock John down to one and a tanner. Something else I recall was the 'red beans and rice nights', genuine (or so we kidded ourselves) New Orleans grub. It was terrible! The beans were under-cooked, and the rice was like mush. But it didn't matter - the jazz was always great!

G

Back