• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Rose and Crown.

robert

master brummie
Does any one know the history of this pub , it's situated on the corner of Bromsgrove st and Lower Essex st.

Attachments

• City Bromsgrove St Rose & Crown .jpg
    City Bromsgrove St Rose & Crown .jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10
Rupert
The pub is listed variously as at 134 or 135 Bromsgrove St. “Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939” states that the pub was built in 1900, and the architect was William Jenkins. However there was a pub listed in Kellys at that address from before 1855, so it was presumably rebuilt then.. Between 1889 and about 1916 it certainly got bigger, as can be seen from these maps.
Mike

map_c_1916_showing_rose_and_crown_Bromsgrove_st.jpg

map_c_1890_showing_rose_and_crown_Bromsgrove_st.jpg

The 'Rose and Crown' was once the home of the reknown 'Imperial Amateur Boxing Club' (Imperial ABC.) run by Jim Smith, nephew of the Warwickshire cricketing legend, 'Tiger' Smith.
My late father, fighting under the name of 'Archie Woodbine' was an instructor there, during the early-to-mid 1930's, following his retirement from the ring. He had nearly 400 fights, amateur and professional. He returned to the ring in 1943 and fought a further fifteen bouts before hanging-up his gloves forever.
The pub itself was a popular venue for all manner of boxers, many of whom were the best in the land - including World Champions, both amateur and professional; Olypiads included!
Other, more dubious characters, loosely associated with the fight-game, visited too.....including 'Machine Gun' Jack McGurn and ' Legs' Diamond. The latter being on a 'buying' trip from the then 'Prohibition' States.....he hired a ship and filled it with Scotch Whisky! I have no idea if the ship's mission was successful; does anyone know??? Our 'home-grown' mobster, the infamous 'Jack Spot' also spent a few evenings at the Rose and Crown when away from the 'Smoke'.
All pubs could tell a tale or two, but those of the Rose and Crown could fill volumes!

Last edited:
Back