• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Roebuck..Darwin Street/Hollier Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
dated...1955

Attachments

• Highgate roebuck pub hollier street - darwin street ...[1].jpg
    Highgate roebuck pub hollier street - darwin street ...[1].jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
What a lot of effort went into the external features of this pub! Been trying to find the location along Holliday Street but can't find it's junction with Darwin Street. Maybe Darwin Street disappeared with the modern development around Holliday Street. Viv.

Re: the roebuck..darwin st/holliday st

Viv
I think you will find it is at the junction of Darwin St and Hollier St, not Holliday

thanks for that mike..the writting on the back of the photos is not easy to read on some of them..have edited the thread title...

lyn

Lyn you must be a busy lady going round all these pubs, Have you got hollow legs?:D:D

You,re doing a grand job girl brill.

unfortunately when you edited the heading you are only able to edit your own everybody else,s post stays the same.Dek

Thanks Mike, looks like it's now a housing estate, so pub's long gone. And thanks Lyn for all these great photos.Viv.

Lyn you must be a busy lady going round all these pubs, Have you got hollow legs?:D:D

You,re doing a grand job girl brill.

unfortunately when you edited the heading you are only able to edit your own everybody else,s post stays the same.Dek

thank you dek ..there must be a way for me to edit the thread title but as all on here know i am not very technical...as for the hollow legs...well one of them is :D:D

Lyn, go to 'edit' post, then 'go advanced' then you should be able to change the thread name in the title box at the top of the message. Viv.

hi viv..thats what i did but it only changes the title on my first post...:rolleyes::rolleyes: never mind...

See what you mean Lyn. Just tried it on my next post ....... Same thing :redface: well there's a surprise!! I've changed a thread title before ( only ones I've posted, not other peoples of course :rolleyes:) and it worked for me. Help, we need an expert ..... Viv.

yes viv ive also changed a thread title before..must be the gremlins at work lol

Lyn The photo of the Roebuck is another piece in my jigsaw. Thanks.

oh thats great rob i am doing well with these pics....this is what makes it all worth while posting them..in my book they are for sharing.....

lyn

thanks alberta..im sure ive changed thread names before but think i lost the plot yesterday:D:thumbsup:

lyn

This post is from a few years ago now, but my grandad was the manager at this pub. Think it was 1933 he moved into it...
Hi Chris, I have been trying to find out more about the Royal Oak, so your post was helpful. The pub was run by Job Whitworth in the 1860's ( possibly earlier) and 1870's. He is listed as being a brewer/ publican. By 1881 the family had moved to the Coach and Horses in Springhill.

In the 1858 Dix directory John Whitworth is listed as a retail brewer at 203 Darwin St, in the 1862 Corporation directory 203 Darwin St is Job Whitworth. retail brewer , while John is listed as a brassfounder at 181 Darwin St. In the 1867,, 1868 and 1872 PO directory Job Whitworth is a beer retailer at 208 Darwin St, but in the 1873, 1876 and 1878 editions he is a beer retailer at no 203 Darwin St. I am sure it is the same place. In the 1879 edition he is at the coach & horses. The dates are publication dates and probably refer to year before
Addition
In the 1855 PO directory Job Whitworth is listed as a beer retailer in Charles Henry st

Last edited:
Back