• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Richmond pub on Richmond Rd.

Hi Dennis,
Thank you so much for sending me the link for Syd and the Richmond, it was just what I had been looking for.I mentioned your name to my dad Ron Baldwin and he said your name sounded really familiar. They lived on the Bordesley Green East. Have you any more pictures of the Richmond please you could post on here.
Kind Regards
Karen

Hi Dave, thank you for all your info and thank Sheila too. Can she remeber what Mrs Vernon's first name was? I have been sent a link by Dennis with some super pictures on with Sid and some of the Richmond folk. I'd asked my mom and dad about Sid Previously and they thought he had only had the one son and had died around the year 1968? The Rose Williams I had mentioned is my husband's mother who has now died but had lived in Neston Grove, how weird there were two Roses with the same name that went in the Richmond?
Kind Regards
Karen

Hi Karen,

Sheila has spoken to another of her sisters who also worked at the Richmond,
and she confirmed that the older brother was John Vernon. However she was
mistaken about the daughter, - apparently it was John Vernon's wife!
There must have been a good few years between John and Ronnie, as Sheila's
recollection from the 1960's is that John was a Bank Manager, while Ronnie
was still in his teens.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks again for the info you have given me. So was Mrs Vernon's first name Mary or have I misunderstood what you told about the daughter/wife mix up? I will have chance to have a good talk to my mom & dad later today so i will mention Sheila & Shirley (Watson) to them. I have already spoken to my mom but she could't recollect the names, however my dad has a much better memory. Mind you they are both in their late eighties so they have a good excuse. It must have been Ronnie who they remember as they said he used to help out behind the bar sometimes. They have told me how Sid wouldn't take any nonsense from anyone and throw anyone out who was out of order, no matter what size they were, they said he would speak his mind and not mince his words. However he was really kind when my Grandad died, he had a collection go round at the Richmond and then brought it over himself to them.
Kind Regards
Karen

Hi Karen,

Sheila thought that the woman she knew as Mary was Sid's daughter,
but one of Sheila's other sisters, - Sally, who used to work at the Richmond,
has told her that in fact she was John Vernon's wife.

I can't really remember much about the Vernons personally, as I
didn't use the Richmond, but I lived with my in-laws in Wash Lane for a
couple of years when I first got married.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info once again. I had a good chat with my mom & dad last night about your wife and Sheila and her sister, but they said they couldn't recollect them although my dad said he thought he remembered Ivy who was the barmaid.( I believe this was your wife Sheila's mother)
Kind Regards
Karen

Back