• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Retreat Public House

Roger Baker

master brummie
Does anyone remember The Retreat Pub situated on The Retreat in Aston circa 1960 ? I can't find any photograph or information on this site.

Cheers
RB

Hi Roger......I was born just a few yards away from the Retreat, and I can say that I cannot ever remember seeing a pub in the Retreat....the nearest one to it would have been the Clarendon Arms, I could be wrong...but has a nipper growing up in that area 1953-1969, the Retreat was mainly a bomb peak.

Thanks Jkc I Am Now Doubting My Memory !! I Have An Old Kellys (1969-70) And It's Not Listed. The Only Mention Are Of The Retreat Garage And Adams & Simkins Ltd Spring Mfrs. The Retreat Ran From Sutton Street To Wilkinson Street. My Memory Tells Me That The Street Had An Incline And The Pub Was At The Top.

I Think I Am Suffering From A Senior Moment !!

Thanks For Your Reply
Rb

I managed the Clarendon Arms in 1968 and I used to walk round the retreat and there was no pub There was a little garage before you got to Sutton st
connect

The garage owner was known as norman He used to take his wife to the clarendon for a drink and they would stop back and have a chat on saturday nights, norman was into Motorcycle sports
the retreat ran from Sutton st to clarendon st just across from the pub

Roger.....its the Clarendon Arms you are thinking of.....the Arms was on the corner of Clarendon St and Upper Webster St, facing the Arms was Wilkinson St, which was only a short street beginning on a slope, the Retreat was on the left about 30 yards up......

hi can anyone tell me what happen to the pub called the horse and jockey
bordesley park rd smallheath

my mom worked in claredon arms untill 1969 when we moved and i was told was a very good bar maid (betty) an it was reggies 2nd home

Back