• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the Radleys development 1945 to 1950

moeminimus

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know when the shops on the left hand side of Church Road as you approach the Radleys were built. I remember scrambling over scaffolding when I was about 8 or 9. My bro says that it was probably repair work because they built before then.
The old memory ain't what it was. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance

Is this the tree story block with the curved frontage? It looks like a 60’s build to me judging by the style and crittall windows

Hello Morturn,
Thanks for the response. Help me out, I'm a BHF virgin. Your comment suggests to me that there is a picture to refer to, and I can't see one.
Should have said I was climbing the scaffolding in 1948/9.
While I'm on line does anyone remember the Misses Greenwood's shop in Sheaf Lane, on the left hand side coming from the Coventry Road direction; about opposite the Rectory Park Road junction. Also on the same side but nearer the Cov Rd was the name of the builders merchants Haddocks?

Looking forward to any replies.

There was a builders merchant on Sheaf lane, but I don't think it was Haddocks, they were located on Old load Lane the other side of the Wheat Sheaf. Greenwoods shop is still there, it became a hair salon not sure when, its a child nursery now.

Hello Morturn,
Thanks for the response. Help me out, I'm a BHF virgin. Your comment suggests to me that there is a picture to refer to, and I can't see one.

Looking forward to any replies.
In reference to a photo I would think, if the building still stands, Morturn had looked on Google streetview.

T
There was a builders merchant on Sheaf lane, but I don't think it was Haddocks, they were located on Old load Lane the other side of the Wheat Sheaf. Greenwoods shop is still there, it became a hair salon not sure when, its a child nursery now.

hanks PJMB and Morturn, I'll a look later

Thanks Robert. I still think Haddocks was on Sheaf Lane. I'm in Brum for a wake tomorrow and my bro and sis will be there. I'll check with them.
Now the memories are getting a bit sharper with all this chatting. Do you remember the first bungalow farther up
on the left that sold veggies and suchlike? I can't remember their name though.
Also, on the opposite side was a row of shops. I think they were left to right; fish and chip shop, knitting and wools etc, Dewhurst butchers, George Mason grocers, a sweet shop, and on the corner a chemists.
Anyway some of these chats might end up in my memoirs. If I don't write it nobody else will!
Looking forward to more contacts.
TTFN as Mrs Mop used to say.

Do not know if this is any help, but in the 1949 Kellys (which probably refers to 1948) H.D. Haddock & sons , motor Haulage contractors, were at 22 Sheaf Lane, and Geoffrey Averis Haddock and Ronald Harold Haddock lived, respectively on the other side of the road at nos 17 and 21

That's a little before my time Mike, l moved to Sheldon in 1963. Haddocks definitely had a builders merchants yard on Old Load Lane until at least the late 80s. Its now sheltered housing. The first bungalow on Sheaf Lane is now a mot testing centre and tyre bay. All the shops opposite are different trades now. I remember Gilberts shoe shop. There are a few photos of the Radleys on the Sheldon Thread.

I do not doubt you robert, but I was referring to the original post which mentioned Sheaf Lane. Old load Lane does not appear to be within the Birmingham boundaries, and is not listed in the Birmingham Kellys

It must be the same family Mike, I think it would be to much of a coincidence for two H D Haddocks a stones throw from each other.

It does sound like the same family, the builders yard on Old Lode Lane was fronted by a
sizeable bungalow quite obviously newly built in the early 60's.

Their daughter, Beverley used to be in my class and was usually driven to school
in a very plush car i remember.

Presumably they moved from Sheaf Lane its only up the road in real terms....

Thanks Mikejee and Robert. My siblings also say that Haddocks was on Sheaf Lane but I got it wrong about their trade. Kelly's confirms .
When I was nipper 1945/6 I think the other three corners of the crossroad had Shakespeare's newsagents (remember queueing for the pink Sports Argus on Saturday nights?), The Wheatsheaf, and opposite the Sheaf was a garage - can't remember the name.
Now, can anyone recall the name of the farm that fronted on to Church Road and stood between Horseshoes Lane and Westley Brook, where Sheldon Grove now stands.

Keep clearing the cobwebs

Would the farm be where they later built the Church?

I remember feeding carrots to the horses in a field somewhere thereabouts...

Would the farm be where they later built the Church?

I remember feeding carrots to the horses in a field somewhere thereabouts...
hello Ann, No I don't think so. I presume you are thinking of the 'wigwam R.C. church on the corner of Horseshoes Lane. It was a bit further along towards the brook
Thanks for your interest

To everyone that replied to my query about The Radleys development. You might find the following of interest.

I took a punt and contacted Brum Council Planning and received the following,

I don’t know the area but did a quick search on the location you provided , I did find two of which one may be relevant
04656000 – Church Road, Sheldon near The Radleys – Block of 8 shops and 8 flats, approved 18/08/1949
11974001 – Corner of Brays Road and Sheldon Heath Road – 10 shops and living accommodation, approved 13/08/1953
I hope this is of assistance to you
The link to the page on our website is www.birmingham.gov.uk/planningonline.

Ask and you shall get an answer!

Back