• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the old mill

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
the old mill
i was in birmingham today and i was driving along west heath
rd and i think it was northfield and i pased the old mill pub
and much to my surprize it was all boarded up its a very big pub
with history does any body knows when it was boarded up please best wishes astonian ,

hi beatrice
what i have noticed now for the last few years now for some reason
they are being sold off to be eating houses chinese or indian take aways
there was the big king edward on the bristol rd past the big black horse pub northfield was sold off to the chineses and look what happenend they bought the rover and cleard the land perhaps they want to do what they have promised us
with hp sauce put the biggest dome on top as a land mark the indian consortium have said to make it a iconic land mark in brum perhaps the chinese want to put a big paragoda on that site at long bridge look at the small develemont at nechells
you could stand in the gate way have your picture taken and send it to a relative and tell them you are on holiday in china but getting back to the pubs being sold off its a shame but saying that the pubs in and around northfield are slowly disapearig very rapid best wishes astonian ;;;

Hi Astonian:)
You are right about the pubs in Northfield.another one the Dingle has been boarded up for about a month now

hi maggs
nice to hear from you again how are you and the other half
fine i hope you are both well ,is it warm enough for you ? .
well maggs , in the case of the dingle it was not down to loss of taking in this case
it was on the cards for a long time owing to being a chequered history for trouble
and crime related things that i can tell you ,for knowing inside info; and of course
drugs related offences but more so of the stolen property s being handled and passing through there was a certain number of well known crims from around b,ham
using it for a drop off point beleive me. i have first hand knowledge on this one
from central it took a long time for ourfriend from rose rd to get is act together
he was abit wet behind the ears to start with but he got there in the end
any way thanks for letting me know and yes there is a couple more close to there that will be going shortly , are you stil seeking another club or pub yet ,
one of my old friends tom as moved down to newbury by the race course ,doing very well he did run the bear on the stratford rd then moved to the fox hollies for a while now hes down at newbury don,t blame him i would not take another one in brum now
there a friend of ours whom as got a pub and eating hous down by the rivershe as got a young couple running it but she said they are useless and would i come and take it on but i said know but my old dutchess is younger than me and she wants us to takeit on but i keep saying no andour friend keps asking she as got to pubs
one is by the army barracks thats more of an estate pub and i would certainly not
entertain one of those again well i will get off now maggs have a nice day and keep in touch best wishes astonian ;;

Hi Astonian

When you say the King Edward on the Bristol Road I think you mean The George. My husband and I did our "courting" in there listening to Dexys Midnight Runners on the juke box. It is now called the Emerald - all you can eat Chinese place.

The Longbridge - big pub further towards Rubery on the Bristol Road has long been retirement flats and The Plough at the top of Rubery was turned into flats years ago.

Lets hope they leave the few remaining pubs like the Hare and Hounds alone so at least we have something resembling a nice pub in the area. There is also the Rose and Crown in Rubery but I haven't been in there for years. The old Chalet is now The Oak Tree or something but at least it's still there.

I suppose the real problem now is that people don't tend to go to the pub like they used to. Like everything else - if you don't use it you lose it.

The Fordruff in West Heath is going to close due to misdemeanor last week

Mossy

Mossy I walked right into that one:D:)It is such a shame about the pubs in this area..the one that really upsets me is the Beeches ..it was (and still could be) a really lovely building and you can just imagine how it would have been years ago..Me and Tom came past last week and it was a real sorrowful site :(

hi maggs / tom,
yes i have to agree with you on that one,it been closed down now for a hell of a long time far to long for me to remember and i say i agre with you
it looked sad whilst boarded up but last year i pased there with my brother
it was even worse daubed with paint hoard of rubbish scattered all over the car park
rubble scattered i don,t know why the council have not cleaned it
unless the council have got plans to build a couple of houses on it
other wise no prospected developer will but=y it and thats for certain its off putting
i pity those people whom live oppersite it best wishes astonian ;;

hi maggs
i am awaiting how are you and tom many thanks for the info from last week i haven,t been to get to the church to take a look sorry i havent been in touch yet
but some-body as decided to irrigate my notificaction line
i have sent a message to whom it concerns i am awaiting and hoping for a reply
i just don,t know whats going on any morehope to speak to you again
best wishes astonian ..

Back