• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Old Crown Inn Deritend

this i think is my favourite on of the old crown..taken in the winter time...dated 1938

old_crown_winter_1938.jpg

Now this is possibly a silly question. But is the whole of the building the Crown Inn? Or is only part of it (i.e the end nearest Heath Mill Lane on the left-hand side?) The reason I ask is that the various photos seem to show the right-hand side section of the building has had other functions e.g. cafe in Lyn's post and greengrocers(?) in Phil's post. I know it started out way back as one whole building/hall, but in later years did the Crown Inn occupy only the left half of the building? My guess is the right-hand side (street level) has, over time, but sublet to other people. Viv.

Gorgeous Lyn. I never cease to be amazed that this place is still standing, especially given the town planning 1970s track record. Externally, it must be almost unaltered since, well maybe a few hundred years. Pure delight, thanks Lyn excellent quality photo which nicely shows off the building's assets. Viv.

Came across this 1929 painting of the Old Crown by William Albert Green. All the views we've seen of this place over the centuries never seem to change much at all. Now we can't often say that about a place these days can we? We can even see the recognisable buildings on the corner of Heath Mill Lane in this view. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345323444.592349.jpg
And the view today.
561f68fa-02dd-4d7d.jpg

anybody remember using The Old Crown Cafe in the 60's with 3d Jukebox,it's where i first heard Deck of Cards - Wink Martindale.
Wal.

Have spent many a happy lunch hour and after work in the Old Crown. Used to work in Deritend in the 1970's and it was always a pie and half a lager lunch time and sometimes after work drinks, before doing the town after work. I do not remember the well then but there were function rooms upstairs. The licensees were great, an Irish couple cannot remember the names but possibly the female was Mary (really cannot remember but a lovely couple). Very happy memories of the Old Crown.

Reference #33 I wonder if this is the gentleman referred to?

Benjamin TILLEY Head U 42 M Teacher of Music Birmingham-War
Anna TILLEY Moth W 70 F Teacher of Music Dudley-Wor
Martha TILLEY Sis U 28 F Teacher of Music Birmingham-War
Emma STANNAY Vist U 26 F Pattern Card Maker Birmingham-War
Address: 67 Moseley St, Deritend
Census Place: Aston Aston, Warwickshire

The well is still inside the pub we had a meet there a few years ago and the landlord took us upstairs to view. Not sure if the photo's are still on here or were lost in the hacking.

In the 50s I payed with a band Johhny Kaula Hawaii music at the OldCrown, lots of fun John Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

This Hadfield Cubley Raphael Tuck oilette postcard dated 1908 bears many similarities to the Antiques Road Trip painting discussed on the "BBC in Brum" thread started by Carolina.
The oilette's entitled the 'The Old Angel Inn on Deritend" Wonder if there was an error in the title by the artist or was it once called the Angel Inn? I'm also posting the screenshot of the Antiques Road Trip painting for comparison (apologies for the poor quality TV shot).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361622240.331401.jpg Tuck oilette
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361622260.595475.jpg Antiques Road Trip painting (unknown artist)

Viv.

Do you have any further information on J A Wheeler - (Christian Names, Wife, Children, Dates of his time at the butchers. My family has a painting done by a Paul Bradden showing the old crown, J A Wheeler butcher and Solomon Wilkes's sign on the end of the building - supposedly done in payment of his bar bill - but that maybe an old wives tale - Have tried to locate through census etc but to no avail. Will be grateful if you are able to assist or point me in a good direction so I can progress this side of my family history. This is the 1st time on the B'ham History Forum so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place as I am finding it difficult to navigate.
Phil
Certainly J A Wheeler & Solomon Wilkes were listed there in 1855 and 1858. Can;t fit the Thomas xxx to the right of the Crown name . the landlord in 1855 was
Thomas Dayson, so maybe that was it, though it doesn't look like Dayson to me. There is a Thomas Franks , furniture broker at 183, but I reckon that would be too far along to be shown in the photo.
mike

Wheelright
I take it you have read my earlier comments on the uncertainty of the actual dates of the information within earlier directories (though not later ones.). With that proviso James Wheeler does not seem to appear in the 1852 directory, but is in the 1855 one.He remains listed at 188 High St Deritend till 1867, but by the 1868 edition he is at 187 High ST, next door to the Crown. He remains at 187 till 1882 and by 1883 Mrs Catherine Wheeler, presumably his wife, has taken over. She carries on till 1900, but by 1903 Sydney Wheeler is listed.
The 1862 census lists at no 188 as :
James Wheeler 34
Catherine Wheeler 29
James Wheeler 5
Arthur L Wheeler 3
Walter Wheeler 1
Elizabeth Veale 21 visitor barmaid
Sidney Veale 15 visitor butcher

mikegee
Major Wi-Fi problem has delayed my thanking you for the comprehensive information supplied. Can you shed any light on the following please (1) Is 186 High Street next to Heath Mill Lane or 188? (2) In your post of the 9th November 2011 you mention Joseph Wheeler, a butcher. Are you aware of any relationship between him and J A Wheeler (James) or any other Wheeler?
wheelwright

Wheelwright
188 is next to Heath mill lane. I have no knowledge od any connection with other Wheelers .Sorry
Mike

Not sure if this is suggesting there was a full reconstruction of the Old Crown at Bingley Hall in 1886 ! And I wonder if Mine Host was the real MH of the Old Crown ? Viv.

FC570F51-46B1-4C0D-A1D4-C6308F3D52D3.jpeg

I have posted this before, but in the early 1950s My band did several gigs at this pub great fun Johnny Kaula who played Hawaiian guitar led our band then.

Phil
Certainly J A Wheeler & Solomon Wilkes were listed there in 1855 and 1858. Can;t fit the Thomas xxx to the right of the Crown name . the landlord in 1855 was
Thomas Dayson, so maybe that was it, though it doesn't look like Dayson to me. There is a Thomas Franks , furniture broker at 183, but I reckon that would be too far along to be shown in the photo.
mike
Hi, I can't unfortunately view this image, but I think that might be Thomas Fletcher. I have history in my family that a Thomas Fletcher owned the pub at some point.

I was wondering if anyone has come across a Thomas Fletcher being an owner at some point? I have history in my family that he once owned the pub.

could you give us a year as some members may be able to look it up for you

lyn
Well I have that he was born in 1864. He was married to an Emma Jane Timmins. My granny as a little girl remembers being there a lot. She said they had a lot of servants and a young maid who was like a teenager learning the job, called a tweeny. She cleaned the stairs and banisters between the floors. There was also an underground cellar place where they kept barrels of cider etc. My granny is 95 years old this year, she was born in 1926. So lets add 8 years to that for a little girl, 1934ish....

Thomas Frederick, Emma Jane, Gladys & Myra Fletcher are listed in the online electoral rolls as at the Old crown -n 1930. They were not there in 1925, and had left by the 1935 rolls. The 1927 rolls do not appear to have an entry for 188/189, which is the Old Crown

Thomas Frederick, Emma Jane, Gladys & Myra Fletcher are listed in the online electoral rolls as at the Old crown -n 1930. They were not there in 1925, and had left by the 1935 rolls. The 1927 rolls do not appear to have an entry for 188/189, which is the Old Crown
this is great because Gladys & Myra were my granny's fathers siblings...so there is a connection

Thomas Fletcher is listed in Kellys directory in 1932 and 1933. The year is the publication date and probably refers to the year before. so so he was probably licensee up till at least 1932 but not after 1934

Do you have any further information on J A Wheeler - (Christian Names, Wife, Children, Dates of his time at the butchers. My family has a painting done by a Paul Bradden showing the old crown, J A Wheeler butcher and Solomon Wilkes's sign on the end of the building - supposedly done in payment of his bar bill - but that maybe an old wives tale - Have tried to locate through census etc but to no avail. Will be grateful if you are able to assist or point me in a good direction so I can progress this side of my family history. This is the 1st time on the B'ham History Forum so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place as I am finding it difficult to navigate.
Hi, I can't unfortunately view this image, but I think that might be Thomas Fletcher. I have history in my family that a Thomas Fletcher owned the pub at some point.
Phil
mike
Thomas Dayson was the landlord of the Old Crown from 1853 to 1858. His name is clearly visible, over the right hand door, in higher resolution versions of this picture e.g. the version in John Whybrow's 'How does your Birmingham grow?' Keith Turner in his book 'Birmingham Pubs' used the presence of Dayson's name to date the photo.

Last edited:
I realise there are zillions of photographs of this building but, hopefully, this is one that may not have been seen before. The image is taken from a magic lantern slide dated 1907. The slide was filthy and cracked so it took me about three hours to make it presentable :

Back