• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The numbering of court houses

jessielurcher

proper brummie kid
I had ancestors who lived in Springfield Street, Ladywood, in 5, court 36 for over 30 years. I have a map showing the courts etc, does anyone know how the court houses were numbered. Did the numbers start at the back to back houses and then the houses at the back of the court. I would love to be able to mark which house they lived in, and does anyone remember Ernest Faulkner. After he died his son Lesley took over the house with his half brother Bertie Tate.

I think you may be get a little mixed up with court and back - at various times they're recorded differently.

Ernest Faulkner (in different years) is listed at both 5 back 36 Springfield St and 5 court 15 Springfield St. Map below shows house 5 of court 15 behind no.36...

0 - Springfield St.jpg

I had ancestors who lived in Springfield Street, Ladywood, in 5, court 36 for over 30 years. I have a map showing the courts etc, does anyone know how the court houses were numbered. Did the numbers start at the back to back houses and then the houses at the back of the court. I would love to be able to mark which house they lived in, and does anyone remember Ernest Faulkner. After he died his son Lesley took over the house with his half brother Bertie Tate.
I think you will have a problem finding out how these houses in courts were numbered, I just asked my wife Marion who lived in a court house and she said it made no logical sense to her.

Thank you so much, I paid for a map like the one you downloaded but it wasn't as clear as yours and I couldn't read any numbers. That is a great help.

Usually the numbering started at the houses nearest the entrance to the court and then went around the court. but there seems no definite standard clockwise or anticlockwise manner in which the numbering went round.

Hi
Only just seen this thread, I am the daughter of Leslie Faulkner, I loved at 5/36 springfield Street till I was about 4 we then moved about 1962. Ernest Faulkner was my grandfather Bert moved to Australia.

Hi
Only just seen this thread, I am the daughter of Leslie Faulkner, I loved at 5/36 springfield Street till I was about 4 we then moved about 1962. Ernest Faulkner was my grandfather Bert moved to Australia.
I'm researching Ernest and his family at the moment, he was the brother of my ex husbands grandfather Samuel Turner Faulkner. As you well know J.

Hi,

I lived at 8 back 67 (8/67) Tilton Road in the 1960s. It was often referred to
including on our rent book as 8/69, as the 2 houses alongside the entrance to the
court were 67 and 69, but there was only one sequence of numbers in the court.

Kind regards
Dave

Back