• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Non-famous Music Scene In Birmingham

Blacksmith

master brummie
I wasn't sure just which section to post this in, so please feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

We certainly have produced some great singers/bands in Birmingham and the Black Country, but I'd like to put a word in for those who never 'made it' but were still part of a thriving live music scene in Birmingham.

Unfortunately I don't remember names, but I do remember the fun we had listening and dancing to them. My venue was the Lyndon. We used to go in the bar first to pick who was playing in our football team and then we moved into the music area and drank and danced and listened. There were some great bands and great night.

I wonder if they still have live entertainment at the Lyndon, or is it all discos now.

These bands would never have made it big, but they were big to us in the 60s.

Perhaps you played in some of these bands. If so, you gave a lot of entertainment and your contribution to the music scene in Brum should be valued highly.

Perhaps some of you danced the night away at the Lyndon at the same time as me and can remember the bands.

Happy days!

What a great web site. I've added it to my favourites and intend having a nostalgia trip as I read through it.

Many thanks

One of the well known groups in Erdington was 'The Method Five' who played at a Methodist hall somewhere near Slade Road. The lead guitar was Denis Bennett who went on to play with 'The Dhobies' another Erdington group. Dhobies drove around in a big Transit van, hand painted white with black spots, with 'The Dhobies' painted on the side. Dhobies Members were called George (Singer) Paul (Bass Guitar) Ken (Rhythm Guitar) Ray Miller (Drummer) & Denis. Denis married by best friend Anne & nowadays (in his 60's) he still plays in a group in North Wales where they now live.

I think I vaguely remember the names of those bands - from maybe around 66/67?

Re the original post by Blacksmith, I went to the Lyndon a couple of times in 68 or 69 to see Cathedral, a Birmingham band.
My friend and I lived in north Birmingham and it seemed quite a way for us to get there, bus into Town and then a long bus ride down the Coventry Road and a long walk down to Barn Lane from the main road!

I just looked on Google and I see that the pub still exists - also found it on the street level view. I remember the single storey 'Lounge' bit on the right hand side where they had the dances and can still just about picture in my mind what it looked like inside (may have changed now of course!).

I used to go to The Lyndon on a Sunday evenings in the early 60s. I always remember it when I hear the record 'Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain'

I use to play and had a band 'The Modernaires' Played in the early 1950s all the local pubs around Yardley and Small heath. The Irish club was one place we had lots fun at, Arthur Ashworth who lived in Sheldon was our manager. Mac on trumpet,Ted Haines on drums Robing Kendall on base Johnny Headford on Guitar and Colin Willetts on Piano, Colin went on to play with some of the best in the business, I left for the USA in 1957 to try get into the band biz there, but the union in the USA would not let a non Citizen in. Lots of good memories. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

Robin Kendall, the bass player? I use the term loosely. I had forgotten his name We had to use him in the band because he was the only one with transport! I recall that we would all climb into his car. Five of use, plus bass, drums, music stands, music and other instruments. How the hell did we do it?

I remember Colin Willets from when he played in a band at Horrell Road social club, Sheldon, around 1965. I believe Colin lived local.
He had a guy on guitar, played a Gibson Barney Kessel, rare instrument and expensive. Strange what you remember.

I use to play and had a band 'The Modernaires' Played in the early 1950s all the local pubs around Yardley and Small heath. The Irish club was one place we had lots fun at, Arthur Ashworth who lived in Sheldon was our manager. Mac on trumpet,Ted Haines on drums Robing Kendall on base Johnny Headford on Guitar and Colin Willetts on Piano, Colin went on to play with some of the best in the business, I left for the USA in 1957 to try get into the band biz there, but the union in the USA would not let a non Citizen in. Lots of good memories. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA
As far as I know Old Brit, The Modernaires are still going strong. They play in Coventry. My mum knew one of the them. I last saw them play maybe 10 years ago, maybe less (time flies) the band singer was Shirley Gardiner or Gardner and as far as I know she is still singing. She has a white/blonde beehivy sort of hair do a beautiful soprano. This was to comemorate the end of WW2 and they performed in West Orchards shopping centre. Mum knew all the local artists lots came over from Brum to play here. I recall Patsy Powell and the Hony Tonk Playboys, noit sure about the Honky Tonk bit,. I used to bop at the Locarno to Shades of Grey one of 2 bands on the revolving stage. Seven Crowns a Nordic band, Leuitenant Pigeon who came from here. Hild Woodward was mum's friend.

We also followed a Brummie DJ called Bilbo Baggins, his wife Elaine came from Handsworth and worked at the Erdington Co Op. They played at the Sportsmans Arms, Birmignham Road, just as you come in to Cov.
Nan did her dancing at The Dennis Hall in Stourbridge. And mum danced to a band led by Brian Pearsall. My mum was a member of a group called the Danes her stage name was Dawn Gordon. I remember The Down Country Boys and thee Hughie Gallagher Band, Syl Fox. These are all before time just.. Mum was in a Variety Group and there was a modern duo used to sing called The Patrons. Pat and Ron. My mate played with Roadrunner years ago.

I just rang my mate he said he said the Modernaires used to play at The London Road Club. Parkside, Coventry.

My cousin Phil played Bass Guitar with Mark Raymond and the Cyclones [later to be the Crowd].

https://www.keithhoban.com/newmarksite.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the Cyclones. Didn't they have a hit? I can remember going anywhere there was a live band being so squashed unable to get my drink up to my mouth often, trying to see the bands' name on the bass drum. And failing.We followed some great Irish folk bands, like Tara, Mulliners Rough. Rocky Road, Scartaglen, Slip Jig and The Tommy Dempsey Band, the last 2 came from Brum. Always in a grotty old pub that served lovely beer.

Not sure Nico but you may be thinking of the American group The Cyclones. They being the reason that Mark Raymond and The Cyclones became Mark Raymond and The Crowd.

That could be, Bernard. We took Nan to see a trio at a WMC club billed as the Kaye Sisters. She said they were not so I don't know how they got away with it.

Just googled The Modernaires, there are several notices, one saying they are still going in the USA. I think the ones I know of are not the same I found another band of the same name in Manchester. The ones that used to play here and still might were/are all white haired superb musicians. Doing wing and Jazz and modern stuff. I listened to a superb jazz band when they were revamping Brum centre I am guessing over 35 years ago. I went across Martineau Sq and there was an outdoor market and Evans's was new. They were outside on a big terrace of a café or a bar with pinstripes and boaters. Music sounds as good outside as it does inside.

Just googled The Modernaires, there are several notices, one saying they are still going in the USA. I think the ones I know of are not the same I found another band of the same name in Manchester. The ones that used to play here and still might were/are all white haired superb musicians. Doing wing and Jazz and modern stuff. I listened to a superb jazz band when they were revamping Brum centre I am guessing over 35 years ago. I went across Martineau Sq and there was an outdoor market and Evans's was new. They were outside on a big terrace of a café or a bar with pinstripes and boaters. Music sounds as good outside as it does inside.

The Birmingham version of the Modernaires I knew in the late 50's early 60's were these :- https://www.brumbeat.net/modernai.htm

They would be the ones Old Brit played with then I would think? And Maybe the ones who play/ed here. The ones in the USA have two female vocalists.
The ones I saw with Shirley Gardiner singing don't always have her up front. She sings in her own right.
My late mum would have last heard them maybe 15 years or less ago. They played for the Rolls Royce Retired members' Christmas bash.
Another band I used to follow was Calvary, they seemed to play in M&B pubs.Plus the Swains, still going strong who still sometimes play at The Standard Club.
Sole organists chipped a bit off the band scene being cheaper I suppose, there was a popular organist here called Johnny Medlock. Best Wishes, Nico

This version of the Modernaires played rock 'n roll,they were not a jazz band.The lead singer,Mickey Bakewell was on a Midlands TV news programme,sometime last year,to listen to some tapes from the 60's of the band that had been discovered in someone's attic !

I will see if I can find it on here Mickymoo. Amazing what you find in attics. Not sure what 'my' Modernaires are, jazz or rock and roll?

The name "Modernaires" is used quite often for musical groups, so it will cause a lot of confusion. The Modernaires mentioned by John Crump (ex pat) was dissolved in the 1950's. I know, I was part of that group. Colin Willets (piano) went on to play around the Birmingham area, Ric (Mack) McGlennon (trumpet) went on to play around the UK (Liverpool, Norwich, Manchester, Scunthorpe, Margate) before returning to "Brum" and forming the Rick Lennon Band. I (drums) went off to play around the world, and John (alto sax) migrated to the USA to try his luck on the music scene in the States. I have no idea of what became of Robin (bass player).However it is good to read about other groups using the same name.

Two versions of the Moderaires in what looks to be two different era's. The early version at the Tyburn House and the later one at The Mackadown.

Attachments

• Modernaires.JPG
    Modernaires.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Sheldon  Mackadown Mackadown Lane modernaires 1969.JPG
    Sheldon Mackadown Mackadown Lane modernaires 1969.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 44
I thought Brian Sharpe (Drummer) ran the Hi-Bris Dancing School in Shirley?

I think I met him last Christmas.

Earlswood Garden Centre (in Solihull) ran a Christmas Fayre during November/December 2013 and Brian was doing the DJing and announcements there.

He was also selling a book about Birmingham Rock bands in the 1950s and 1960s (did he write one?).

I did not grow up in Birmingham but have a lot of interest about 1960s pop bands so we chatted for quite a while about 1960s pop music.

He has sold the Hi Bris and is no longer allowed to use the name, but does still run a disco for "older" people (but not allowed to call it Hi Bris disco)

You can read a little about him here

https://www.encore-academy.co.uk/#!our-patrons

Back