• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The New Bull Ring (mixed feelings)

Alfie I wonder how many times we've both caught the midnight 5a from Grays.  :)

Fran apart from Selfridges, which I think is the daftest building I have ever seen, it is so much better than the 60's horror. You might quite like the new Bull Ring, even though it can't match 'ours' that they pulled down.

Nice thought Di. You got off at Witton and myself 6 stops later in The Ridgeway. :)

Speaking about the Newspaper you could get it as early as 11.15am

A couple of years ago when I was going back to Sutton from spending an evening out with friends in Birmingham. They walked me around to old Grey's bus stop area to catch my bus to Sutton. It was very late at night but there were a few people around waiting for other buses. It was certainly an odd feeling standing there and looking across the road at the old Lewis's building and thinking of how many times I had crossed that crossing into the Minories and into Lewis's ground floor or food floor over the years and through many changes in the surrounding buildings. Also, thinking about shopping in Grey's as well.

Those were great times especially the sales and even more special...... Lewis's shoe sale. Loved that one :smitten: My father said when I was leaving England that Sir Charles Clore, who owned the British Shoe Corporation and Selfridges, would go bankrupt when I departed from Birmingham because I spent a lot of my wages on shoes over the years ::)

I THINK THE PLANNERS HAVE MADE A RIGHT MESS OF THE BULL RING , AND REGARDS THE SELFRIDGES I THINK I,M INCLINE TO THINK LIKE ITS OFF ANOTHER PLANET , THE CENTRE DOES NOT HAVE ANY LIFE, TO IT, NO CHARACTER, THEY ARE DESTROYING THE CITY ,BIT BYE BIT , I,M GLAD I,VE MOVED OUT OF BRUM , INCIDENTLY THERE WAS A PUB THERE BEFOR THEY KNOCKED IT DOWN , ME AND MY WIFE USED TO RUN IT , SO THATS WHAT THE COMPUSURLY PURCHASE WAS FOR , EH ,EH ,

What was the name of the pub you used to run in the Bull Ring Astonian?

Another snippet in last night's Birmingham Mail, so far eight large stores have closed in the Bull Ring. In my opinion the whole country has far too many shops and stores, mostly chains and you can find the same shops in every shopping centre in the country. The interesting, individual shops are priced out of these developments, and even on the traditional High Streets, the landlords keep increasing the rents, thus forcing them out.

:DHi All

I've just returned from a three day visit to Birmingham which is the second time I've seen the new development. I think it all looks fab with the exception of the area in front of the Rag and Indoor Markets. There's too much concrete slabbing there with hardly any greenery at all which makes it appear rather desolate. Why can't they dot tubs of bedding plants around the place? I also think the new development for New Street Station with it's two skyscraper towers sounds really exciting O0 and can't wait to see it when finished. So on the whole I think the town centre is great with a bit of everything for all ^-^ I took a trip on the canals which was fantastic too, although I bet the prices of some of the apartments which run alongside the canal rule out the majority of local people buying them :-[ The Rotunda development is a real stroke of genius :laugh: I would love to be able to afford one of these apartments - maybe I will when I win the lottery :crazy2: One place I discovered was the pub 'The Old Joint Stock' in Temple Row. What a gem! I never knew it existed and was really surprised at how fantastic the interior is. If you haven't been inside GO it's lovely and the beers not bad even though it's London brewed Fullers!

Travelling outside the City centre was a completely different experience altogether :tickedoff: What on earth is going on (or not!) with many of the areas. Most of Sparkhill looked like a slum. I went to Ladypool Road to have an authentic curry but was totally put of by the filthiness and decay of the streets and shops. Much was the same around Shard End, Handsworth (!) etc. It's really good that developers are bringing in lots of business and tourism for Birmingham, but I think it's time that money was spent on the surrounding suburbs. Instead of knocking down all the great buildings and replacing, maybe they should have thought about renovating the existing. 'New' definitely does not mean better in most cases :crazy2: Also maybe some of the residents of these areas should take a look at themselves and how they live. It really doesn't take that much effort to keep your home and garden tidy and free from rubbish and junk. I don't think this is a question of money either, people should take pride in where they live O0

Winge over, I still love Birmingham even though it drives me mad sometimes!
Gillian :flower:

Gillian. I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Birmingham last year and felt much as you do. The things that hit us as being great improvements were St Phillips Church yard, the canals, the Symphony Hall and of course the Bull Ring. As we did not go onto Soho Road, we did not see that area of Handsworth but we were very impressed with my mom's old house on Uplands Road built in 1923 and the road in general.

I agree totally there is not excuse for a place being dirty or untidy but local government has to be blamed for that. Where we live there are local bye-laws regarding keeping your property clean and tidy and the bye-laws officers enforce them. A house by us did some tree pruning last fall and did not take the brush to the dump where you are supposed to take it, so a couple of months ago it was taken away for them at their cost. Someone down the street was a collector and his car port was full of junk, so he was given notice to get rid of it and he did. Shops and restaurants are inspected and closed if they do not meet the required standard after being warned and an opportunity to meet the standards. Our streets are clean because there is a town department responsible for that, each summer they employ about 40 university students just to do gardening, cut grass and pick up rubbish.

There is always something that falls through the cracks but generally it works.

Photo of where my mom lived. :)

Last edited:
well its confirmed there are aliens, only someone from outer space could design selfridges, and completely ruin birmingham city centre,how did they get planning permission for that monstrosity,

jake

I've really enjoyed reading everyones comments over the past few weeks. I used to work in Birmingham city centre  in the 70's and spent many a happy lunch hour in the Bull Ring although I did think it was very shabby and wished they would do something with it!! Well I have visited the new Bull Ring a few times over the past year and don't really like it. There's no pleasing us sometimes is there!! I must admit though that overall, the city centre is much improved especially around Gas Street Basin. I live on a narrowboat and we have moored a couple of times there and enjoyed it very much. It's very useful too for the Central Library to do some family tree research. I just have to send my husband off to do something else as he isn't interested in the family tree!!

Jenny

I think those of us that have come as visitors recently are judging the city on how we remember it when it was looking a bit shabby. With areas that are pedestrian only now it has made room for the large numbers of people and it feels more open, we were amazed how crowed the city was when we were there. We tend forget these things. This of course adds to the challenge of keeping it clean. The weather was lovely while we were there and that makes such a difference to how you feel. :)

As you say it is nice to hear everyones impressions of the city.

Is the attached Gas Street Basin where you moored Jenny? We took this while we were there they were doing some filming for the up coming election.

Last edited:
We moored not far from here on one occasion. It all depends on how busy it is as to where we moor each time. Once we moored right outside the NIA when Cliff Richard was performing much to my joy and my husbands disgust!! Hopefully we shall bring our boat next spring again for a few days- need to do some more research and it is so convenient being on the doorstep.

Jenny

Sounds wonderfull Jenny, something I would like to do here on the Trent Canal system as it goes through Provincial Parks and across lakes.

When we are traveling or out for the day, we often go and watch the boats moving through the many different types of locks we have here. :smitten: :smitten:

hi sylv , sorry i haven,t been in touch with you since you last asked me the name of the city pub my wife and i ran but i haven,t been on the forum for some time because i haven,t been well , any way i am back now . the pub we used to run was formerly owned by the stars of reno and renarto the singers , it was a pub , restuarant in the bull ring wich in fact over looked the bull ring and along side st martins church it was called the matordor , we changed its name to the blarney stone , and we had big jack ie charlton , the foot baller , and alan towers to do the grand opening whom stayed the night with us and he drank like a fish stayed until 5 oclock in the morning , we filled the place out and we charged 25 pounds a head to come and see them , we in fact had to turn people away it was a very good night and the public stayed as well and asking the questions and having a laugh. best wishes astonian ,.;;;

I hope you're fully recoverd now, Astonian and fighting fit again.

I've visited the Bullring a couple of times since it was 'done up'. I think the bullring itself is vastly improved. the atmosphere is still friendly (maybe even more so) and relaxed, lots of street cafes, etc, and St Martin's looks beautiful; almost new (only problem is whenever I go it seems to be shut! I always make a point of going in there where I can) On the whole I think it's really nice, but I HATE the Selfridges monstrosity. Fancy putting that opposite St Martin's!

The surrounding areas are shabby and I understood the Council was going to be working on Aston to make it better, but haven't seen much difference there since the late eighties, at least. Handsworth, which was where my mother used to live, used to be a good residential area at one time, with beautiful houses. Alas, they've all become run down now and the place, I understand, has turned into nothing short of a ghetto. Sad, isn't it.

ChrisB :mad: :'(

I go a long way in agreeing with Gillian. However, the truth is that the city council do spend millions in the suburbs. Not long ago all the shops on Soho Road were renovated at public expense. They looked absolutely wonderful with their tradition hand painted signs and everything. Now, in a short while they have been let slip into something resembling a Third World bazaar by greedy owners who only care about profit and have no interest in either the environment or tradition.

Maureen, yes, your mother's house and others, including my old one, down that end of Uplands Road are still well kept. Unfortunately, they seem to be the exception more than the rule these days. We too have similar bye-laws to what you mention but lack the will to enforce them. Not even the traffic laws are applied on Soho or Stratford Roads, where cars are parked on the pavement, double yellow lines, or wherever the owners want to park them.

It isn't buildings that make a great city, it's the inhabitants.

[
Quote:
It isn't buildings that make a great city, it's the inhabitants.

How true that is Paul and the council can only do so much, very sad to hear that is happening and very frustrating for everyone in the neighbourhood.

Handswoth still has its lovely trees lined roads, and the little shopping centre my ljusnbands grannie used to call 'The Village.'

I want to weep when I drive down Witton Road, it's so run down now. It was such a different place when I grew up. :'(

Di.Poppitt said:
Handswoth still has its lovely trees lined roads, and the little shopping centre my ljusnbands grannie used to call 'The Village.'

I want to weep when I drive down Witton Road, it's so run down now. It was such a different place when I grew up.
:'(

I know I sound very negative and am probably guilty of going off topic but I'm afraid those two plus points are now under threat. We have had to launch a petition to prevent the trees being cut down. A lot of the multi-car/van owning families now want the trees cleared to make way for their vehicles.

If the the shops you mention are the ones I think they are on College Road, they too are under threat of becoming a line of liquor stores and bookmakers, attracting all sorts of unsavoury elements.

(Note for Rod or a more experienced moderator: Should this thread be split and maybe posted in the Clubroom. I'm not sure how to do it myself and don't want to mess it up?)

I used to work in Inge st. in the fifties, i worked at Geo.E Lewis , we relocated from the bottom of Dudley st, i think Smallbrook st was being modernised at the time. I have seen the Back to Back houses on the Council web site, in all the time i worked there i never knew they exsisted, as for the Bull ring i think i preferred the old one. When i was a little girl i remember seeing Queen Mary with the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret in a carriage going past the fish market, i could'nt see properly so a policeman hauled me to the front of the crowd for a better look. I have'nt been back to Brum since 1967 i'm sure i would get lost now, but i would like to see it agian.

i know that the city had plans to redevelop the now old bull ring of the 60's during the 80's but with the recession these were never realised, until of course the 1999 demolition and subsequent new centre we now have. does anyone have any graphics or impressions of what potential 1980's disaster we could have ended up with if we hadnt have gone into recession in the early 90's?

LETS FACE IT ,
B,HAM IS NO BETTER NOW THAN IT WAS IN THE EIGHTIES ,
IT,S A COMPLETE MESS , IF NOT WORSE ,
THEY WANT TO GET RID OF THE ALPHA TOWER AND THE PLANNING DEPT
GET RID OF THE OLD CRONNIES WHOM ARE CREAming off ,

Back