• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Moody Blues

Yes, the "family trees" do make fascinating reading. There's a big overlap with ELO and other Brumbeat bands in the Moodies' tree - Pete Frame did a good book setting all these out - and a fantastic TV programme was also made on this. I've put together a comprehensive one just for the Moodies & their many connected bands ( and correcting some of Peter's work). You may recognise some of the names ;

https://www.themoodyblues.co.uk/page110.htm

Tony

Fantastic Moody Blues family tree (I did see them live at the Festival Hall I think it was in London MANY years ago, my wife was a big fan).

It is always amazing how these different groups form, break up, reform, and so on.

There is certainly a lot of luck about decisions you make to join or leave a group.

Join one group and you spend years in obscurity, join another and make it big and you can live on the fame for the rest of your life.

So someone like say Ray Thomas was in the group when they had their first few hits, stayed in the group, and is STILL playing in the group 50 years later, at 68 years of age.

With the Beatles I always feel how unlucky Pete Best was and how lucky Ringo Starr was.

Pete Best had played with the Beatles for about 2 years, gone to Hamburg etc, then weeks before they recorded their first single and album and he was thrown out the band and Ringo brought in.

Ringo gets all the fame and earns millions, and Pete Best lives a life of virtual obscurity.

Fate eh!

Yes, that's so true, the fickle hand of fate can take you in completely opposite directions, and, to some extent, irrespective of your talents.

Actually Ray retired in 2002, apparently suffering from balance problems that has stumped the doctors. The new (October) issue of Record Collector has a half-page interview with him. Ray's actually re-releasing his solo albums as a box set at the end of the month, inc a quad mix, vintage promo film and a brand new track! His CDs had been bootlegged for years, so, it's about time they were officially available again. Ray's holding a launch party at their Threshold Music Shop, High Street, Cobham, Surrey on Fri 24th Sept, open to all - see www.RayThomas.me for more info.

Graeme Edge is the only remaining member from the Go Now period, though Justin Hayward and John Lodge joined in 1966 so, perhaps it's unfair to think of them as newcomers!

Tony

long john baldrey.was the first record i ever bought.i am sill trying to get a heartbeat episode with the moody blues singing knights in white saturn.but no luck as yet.

Hi Pete....

That episode (+ another) is for sale on Ebay for £19.99, but only in VHS, from.....
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEARTBEAT-FRUITS-OF-THE-EARTH-%2f-BITTER-HARVEST-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ250662595550QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=138283351116&rvr_id=138283351116&cguid=768d2b911290a0e204d5c995ff57ea98

You can pre-order the complete series 2 of Heartbeat on DVD (Release date: 08-11-2010) which has that episode in it, for £14.99 from....
https://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=132351&WT.mc_id=101689

If anyone fancies listening to a Moody blues album then most of them are available on YouTube.

Search in YouTube for "Moody Blues Full album".

January 2018 update: Details removed as all these albums have been removed from YouTube.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of seeing the Moody Blues last night doing the 50th anniversary of Days of Future Past. I haven't seen them live since the days of Denny Laine. It made me proud to be a Brummie!! I had a few tears rolling during Isn't Life Strange and the sing a long with Question. A full symphony orchestra from Toronto made the evening complete. What a show!!
Dave A

Last edited:
Unfortunately like many of our loved bands the Moody's are no more. With only two of the original ( though you can't really class Justin Hayward as original) band then perhaps it's time to give up. We have seen them many many times and the last time when Graham needed a drummer to support him and Ray was replaced by a new member then perhaps it's time to retire. Sad times but maybe age gets to us all.

In fact it almost becomes a tribute band but with celebrity appearances. By the way is long term group back up Paul Bliss still with them?

Unfortunately like many of our loved bands the Moody's are no more. With only two of the original ( though you can't really class Justin Hayward as original) band then perhaps it's time to give up. We have seen them many many times and the last time when Graham needed a drummer to support him and Ray was replaced by a new member then perhaps it's time to retire. Sad times but maybe age gets to us all.
Sorry, but I have to disagree...This show was the 50th anniversary of Days of Future Passed. Graeme Edge, Justin Hayward and John Lodge were members of the band that made this groundbreaking album. Other members like Pinder and Thomas are not well enough to tour, due to age related ailments (we all know about those). I think it's wonderful that these guys can still perform their music in a professional way, especially the vocals. While it is true that Edge needs assistance in the drumming dept. he still is very capable of keeping the beat. This is no way a tribute band, just a group of guys that love to play, and they certainly still can.

Dave A

Hello Brummie babby.
As ever I'm years late finding items but in the hope that you are still interested in the Moody Blues the following might be of interest.
In 1966 I was working with John Lodge and he was undecided about going professional. I told him to do it as if all went wrong he could get a job back in industry. It was possible to get work more easily in those days. He obviously took my advice. The rest is history!
I saw John and the Moody Blues in Bristol some years ago and was well impressed.
Archie7

Back