• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The monica pub small heath

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI FIONA
I cannot get your pm message address up so i thought i would try this way
regarding danniel ; all i can say is we all remembered them and is brother and they was building contractors danniel was a nice guy but is brother all that good to talk to when he had a pint
or two and all we can say is that they did live in and around the monica of small heath
and to add to the struggle of finding out wether or not they are still with us we recokon dan must be in his sixtys now and virtyualy all the older and regular guys of the irish commutity have passed away and the rest of the other guys whom was nightly regulars are now move from small heath
because of the loss of the monica changing hands and its only punters in there are asians
none of the irsh commutity excist n thee gery our friend is still in touch wih our our counter part friends
he says they are either in hall green area or shirly thats where most of them are now living
seamus and annie whom used to run the monica for years and very well known left to go back to ireland but they are on there way back from ireland as they said its not the ireland they knew and left years ago so they are coming back to live and may be go back in the pub game
personaly i would not its not worth a light tody even thou my wife is younger than me and well known in the game wants to go back to it but not me
the last post for seamus and annie was the wagon an horses before leaving to ireland
in the bilsley area so im afraid thats all i can say on daniel at the moment but i meet with gery he may have more infor so to start your tracking try the small heath area and secondly try the shirley side because thats where alot of the irish commutity are seting up camp i do know alot of irsh gathers are buying up he pubs ovr there names i will not mention bebacause i was informed whom and where they are now whom i have known in the trade for years and certain pubs have changed hands between each other best wishes astonian

Somebody on Facebook, maybe he is on here?
is trying to find out the reason for this group phoo in late 1970?

Attachments

• A1AAC94E-3807-41AD-B861-B155B6A5428A.jpeg
    A1AAC94E-3807-41AD-B861-B155B6A5428A.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 27
Somebody on Facebook, maybe he is on here?
is trying to find out the reason for this group phoo in late 1970?

certainly looks to be taken in the 70s kev...hope someone can help

lyn

The Monica was my local for years, I played football for the pub team in the 60’s and 70’s .
The pub (bar) was mainly used by the local Irish community who worked on various civil engineering activities such as utilities (gas, water, power cables) , and other such projects such as the NEC, Spaghetti Junction. The Monica was a fantastic pub for the local community.

Further information via this link: https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/warwickshire/birmingham_b10_monica.html

Source www.closedpubs.co.uk accessed 2/3/2023 @07.24 hrs

Back