• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Maggoty Brook and Hartopp Road, Saltley.

Sheila Jacob

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've been looking through my Mum's old letters and found one she wrote to my children(now very grown-up) when they were doing a school project about what their grandparents when they were young. My Mum was the youngest of four by ten years and spent a lot of time with her Mom, who she adored. They lived in Hartopp Road, Alum Rock/Saltley and in the summer holidays, my Gran used to take all the children from the one terrace block to a place Mum refers to as Maggoty Brook. It was, in the countryside, and within walking distance. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this place. The brook was a tributary of the River Rea, I presume. Mum was born in 1920 so I guess we're talking of the mid to late 20's and early 30's.Any comments, suggestions or reminiscences would be very welcome. The family moved later to Parkfield Road, where I was born in 1950.

Hi Sheila, I read somewhere that Bucklands End Lane Hodge Hill was previously known as Maggoty Lane. It's certainly within walking distance of Hartopp Road.

As an aside there is another mention of Maggoty Brook in October 1925, from the Birmingham Daily Mail, in connection with motor cycling trials.

But the course of the race includes…"Strip Jack Naked" was the name given to a narrow lane flanked by dense undergrowth…”

Wonder where ?
F5783868-7EBB-4C41-A503-E3E4064820A8.jpeg

This is brilliant, thank you very much .for taking the trouble to reply Hodge Hill Common would certainly make sense. Thanks for the fantastic poem and the other clipping from the Post. I can't imagine my Mum paddling in smelly, sludgy water but perhaps it was clearer in her day! It's great to actually see the name Maggoty Brook!

Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've been looking through my Mum's old letters and found one she wrote to my children(now very grown-up) when they were doing a school project about what their grandparents when they were young. My Mum was the youngest of four by ten years and spent a lot of time with her Mom, who she adored. They lived in Hartopp Road, Alum Rock/Saltley and in the summer holidays, my Gran used to take all the children from the one terrace block to a place Mum refers to as Maggoty Brook. It was, in the countryside, and within walking distance. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this place. The brook was a tributary of the River Rea, I presume. Mum was born in 1920 so I guess we're talking of the mid to late 20's and early 30's.Any comments, suggestions or reminiscences would be very welcome. The family moved later to Parkfield Road, where I was born in 1950.
Hi Sheila,

I had a friend who lived at No 2 Parkfield Road in the late 50's thru to the 70's, The Hatton's ( Paul, Carole, Theresa and Yvonne). They had cousins who also lived on Parkfield several doors up. Colette, Thomas and an older brother.

Back